Big 8 Region I AAA Conference Offseason

formerblazer

No. I believe that was Carl Roberts a 2008 graduate. Correct me if I'm wrong Crawdad. Sorry for butting in.

It was Carl Roberts who was playing QB when he should have been RB with Moretz at QB,but just my opinion. Anyway a starter going down in a 1 qtr. dress rehearsal is a major reason many of the coaches take a low key approach to the jamboree. If I were coaching,I would decide what if anything I had concerns about being ready for that first game and work on it, otherwise let as many play as you can get in the "exhibition". I think it is mostly for the kids to get a break from the tough, hot practices,check everyone else out, and get their motors running for the real thing. We all complain about it because we want the real thing since they're charging us real bucks to get in. :popcorneater:

I didn't go. I promised myself that I wouldn't put myself through the pain of watching coach Stubbs sandbag another year after the boys graduated. I understand what he’s doing… I just don’t like to watch. How did the THS QB look? How did Mitchell from SH look? I heard he won the fastest back. And last but not least… does any of the DB back have the juice or are they just athletic and fast? You know what I mean. :popcorneater:

I thought he looked pretty good. But, it does help to have a 6'5" tight end that runs like a gazelle. Although the Downs kid dropped a pass when he was wide open. But, he also made a really good over the shoulder catch for a TD too.

I think Mitchell is going to make some noise this year, not only running the ball, but catching also.

I have no comment there.

I didn't go. I promised myself that I wouldn't put myself through the pain of watching coach Stubbs sandbag another year after the boys graduated. I understand what he’s doing… I just don’t like to watch. How did the THS QB look? How did Mitchell from SH look? I heard he won the fastest back. And last but not least… does any of the DB back have the juice or are they just athletic and fast? You know what I mean. :popcorneater:

I thought Stubbs opened it up more than last year,Cap. The throw to Downs for the TD was an over the shoulder fade on our 5'9' CB and it was right on the money. Downs looked good pulling and blocking on the wing T WB trap play too. I didn't think Snyder looked as sharp on his shorter throws.

Mitchell looked a lot faster and BIGGER than I remembered him. He might get scary before the year is up. D-Bs backs got some skills but I didn't see any achy-breaky hip waggle or hard cuts,except for the soph. back-up QB, Cook. I believe he will play some this year.

I thought Stubbs opened it up more than last year,Cap. The throw to Downs for the TD was an over the shoulder fade on our 5'9' CB and it was right on the money. Downs looked good pulling and blocking on the wing T WB trap play too. I didn't think Snyder looked as sharp on his shorter throws.

Mitchell looked a lot faster and BIGGER than I remembered him. He might get scary before the year is up. D-Bs backs got some skills but I didn't see any achy-breaky hip waggle or hard cuts,except for the soph. back-up QB, Cook. I believe he will play some this year.

Mitchell has grown some and has put on some weight. He is a legitimate 6'1" 200 lbs. And he has always run good. The biggest difference I see in him is he is much stronger.

Edited by The Hill

Well, let's see how many cry babies I wake up now.

Bristol QB - He looked fairly athletic. He executed well. But his air game produces only floaters. I guess that says something for South's secondary.

Mitchell - I know you know his Dad. And as well I have met him. And Stacy tells my son that he is the shiz. Oh Hades' yeah he is fast. But I get cramps watching him. He just doesn't have the flow. He runs sideways, backwards...He is clumsy. But this is what I have thought about him since he came from VA High. HOWEVER, He gets the job done and how. He obviously has not peaked yet and has tremendous potential in the future. He will score mucho touchdowns. Hey, you don't have to be pretty to crack the zone do you?

DB Backs - Well you know how I think. Chris is a North/South runner. That's the quickest route to the end zone. But Clark did not show his backs potential. But I have seen them. I've been to their scrimmages and practices. Canon is a do it all kid. Speed, hands, power, agility, field of vision etc. But my fav is Swafford. He has the juice. He is a Soph and he won't get the ball much but he will make history at DB before he leaves. This backfield has it all Cap. QB ain't bad either. They have the potential to go somewhere.

The Vikings suprised me. I expected them to trip over themselves. It just takes time for young talent to get it right. South knows this as well. Overall your Vikings look able and in no way are they soft.

Edited by compusatman

It was Carl Roberts who was playing QB when he should have been RB with Moretz at QB,but just my opinion. Anyway a starter going down in a 1 qtr. dress rehearsal is a major reason many of the coaches take a low key approach to the jamboree. If I were coaching,I would decide what if anything I had concerns about being ready for that first game and work on it, otherwise let as many play as you can get in the "exhibition". I think it is mostly for the kids to get a break from the tough, hot practices,check everyone else out, and get their motors running for the real thing. We all complain about it because we want the real thing since they're charging us real bucks to get in. :popcorneater:

I totally agree on all accounts. I wish they would make more of a media thing with it. Get the local press involved. Maybe doing press conference still interviews with the coaches and predicted stand out players. And do a preseason spread in all the local papers afterwards.

I totally agree on all accounts. I wish they would make more of a media thing with it. Get the local press involved. Maybe doing press conference still interviews with the coaches and predicted stand out players. And do a preseason spread in all the local papers afterwards.

I'm not going to say what Comp posted is wrong, and this is no flame, but I wasn't nearly as impressed with TH as they were. You had Downs and Crowder going both ways and they looked really winded at the end of the quarter. Depth must be a big issue. The secondary looked pretty lost as well. That may because of youth so that may get better. They let south get behind them a couple of times and when they were in position made bad breaks on balls.

I think we all know the jamboree is for the fans. I personally enjoy getting a glimpse of our conference teams and the contests at the beginning. Sure, some teams show more than others. Some actually try getting something out of 12 minutes of live practice. Let's be honest. There will be no surprises come game time. Everyone knows what the other team plans on doing. It's about executing. It's about can you stop me even with that information. Should they play longer? Probably not. Do the fans enjoy it? 3500 paying fans answers that one. As for the money, I am not privy to how it's divided, but I assume South gets the concessions and the rest is split. And no, it shouldn't be free. Washington County may just be the beginning of the budget cuts for our area school athletic programs.

Enough jamboree talk....good luck to all this season!

You say you want to talk football? Ok…. I’m game. Which one of the talented backs DB has do you think will get the workload this year?

CS=hes been the workhorse the whole time hes been at D-B ,so i dont see it changing his senior yr.But he want have to do it all,in the new offense.

You say you want to talk football? Ok…. I’m game. Which one of the talented backs DB has do you think will get the workload this year?

CS=hes been the workhorse the whole time hes been at D-B ,so i dont see it changing his senior yr.But he want have to do it all,in the new offense.

Well, let's see how many cry babies I wake up now.

Bristol QB - He looked fairly athletic. He executed well. But his air game produces only floaters. I guess that says something for South's secondary.

Mitchell - I know you know his Dad. And as well I have met him. And Stacy tells my son that he is the shiz. Oh Hades' yeah he is fast. But I get cramps watching him. He just doesn't have the flow. He runs sideways, backwards...He is clumsy. But this is what I have thought about him since he came from VA High. HOWEVER, He gets the job done and how. He obviously has not peaked yet and has tremendous potential in the future. He will score mucho touchdowns. Hey, you don't have to be pretty to crack the zone do you?

DB Backs - Well you know how I think. Chris is a North/South runner. That's the quickest route to the end zone. But Clark did not show his backs potential. But I have seen them. I've been to their scrimmages and practices. Canon is a do it all kid. Speed, hands, power, agility, field of vision etc. But my fav is Swafford. He has the juice. He is a Soph and he won't get the ball much but he will make history at DB before he leaves. This backfield has it all Cap. QB ain't bad either. They have the potential to go somewhere.

The Vikings suprised me. I expected them to trip over themselves. It just takes time for young talent to get it right. South knows this as well. Overall your Vikings look able and in no way are they soft.

You see folks... that's how you break it down!! :hungry: You got skills Comp... and aint afraid to tell it like it is. Between you and Crawdad I see things a little clearer now. I have to agree with you about Mitchell… he has no flow. It’s a shame because he has everything else. But the natural skills he possesses will still make him a star, and Stacy WILL put him on stage. I saw some clips of the SH QB and he looked GOOD! After hearing your take on DB, I’m thinkin the BIG BOYS may end up making us proud this year. That is until they get to Blount County! I’m sorry… :roflol: LOL… I couldn’t help myself. Sounds like the other DB, THS, and South are once again pitted for war just like last year… just maybe not for first plays. :blush: