Teams breaking heat rules

bigredbird

actually this is not true what the rule states is that at the site of practice or competition if the heatindex is 95-99 then the athletes must be allowed to take a 10 minute timed water break every 30 minutes in which they must be allowed to remove all excess pads. if the heat index rises to 100-103 the athlets still can practice out doors but the must remove all pads and helmets and they must still take 10 minute water breaks every 30 minutes. once the heat index reaches 104 all ouit door activities must be mover indoors to an airconditioned area. now this rule does change a little bit for scrimmages and gameds that are officiated by refs.

Rule doesn't change if the game/scrimmage has officials. TSSAA says "The TSSAA Heat policy will prohibit schools from practicing or competing when the heat index at the location of the activity is in excess of 104 degrees Fahrenheit."

Rule doesn't change if the game/scrimmage has officials. TSSAA says "The TSSAA Heat policy will prohibit schools from practicing or competing when the heat index at the location of the activity is in excess of 104 degrees Fahrenheit."

We at Clinton have had to move some of our practices indoors because of the heat index. When we asked some other area coaches (im not going to name names) how it had affected them, they acted like they didnt know what i was talking about. So i know for a FACT that there are coaches out there that arent following the rules!

What are we teaching our players when we begin to pick and choose which rules we adhere to? The debate should not be on the heat, it should be on coaches who ignore the rules. The truth is the TSSAA has a rule with no serious punishment. The penalty for being caught is a letter of reprimand and a cancellation of all outdoor activities at the school for one week. They cannot police the member schools and most coaches know it; consequently, it is up to the local school administrations to ensure their programs are in compliance.

All of you go to the 3A thread about this and read Scots50 post. This explains it all. The rule is a bunch of garbage. I coach and I am also a parent, as a parent of one that plays I make him get away from the XBOX and get outside during the summer so he is acclimated to the heat. Now, he has a choice, he can quit football and not have to worry about it, but if he is going to play then I demand he do something to help himself. Most parents won't do that, it is easier to gripe or sue someone until they get a rule passed to help their pampered little ones. It is just another part of our society today, no different than discipline being taken out of school. Teachers are expected to educate and make sure little Johnny does well but don't think of saying anything cross to little Johnny and heaven forbid, don't spank his rear end, that may ruin him for life.

Sure, a coach needs to be aware of the conditions and take precautions when he sees a kid struggling, but our answer is to just stop practicing in hot weather. I haven't done a study, but I would bet that 1000 times more kids die in car wrecks each year than from heat strokes, so parents I think you need to take away the keys and stop them from driving. And we could go on and on about the things that we could do to protect them and when we got through, they would have to sit in their house 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but then the house may catch fire................

Here you go ELA:

My point is as we sit here on our fat rears sipping cola under our buzzing AC crying about the heat index for our soft chubby kids while our finest young warriors in uniform (many in high school just last year) are living and fighting day to day in conditions that we do not even put our worst criminals into. Sure it is unacceptable when a young man dies from overheating, but how can a fighting force survive 120 degree temps and still complete its mission without regard to heat index? Answer: Arrrmmmyy training Sir!

I would much rather wear a football helmet, shoulder pads and a nice vented jersey anytime before putting on a kevlar pot, ACU/ABUs, FLAK Vest, LBE, gloves, goggles, and boots nine inches tall. Make sure all openings are tapped shut to keep out sand and to reduce noise. (read zero ventilation option). And yes, I have had the honor to wear both outfits on 100 degree plus days. Want to up the suck factor? Toss in MOPP Level 4 and the sweat party is rocking!

Point is we (parents) are soft, our kids are soft, our society is soft and we have been over regulated to the point that we, society, and our kids will only grow softer. We are always ready and waiting to transfer blame for our soft lives...this time to coaches and trainers. HOOAH! And for you Marines ...HOORAAH! And for us Air Force guys..PER DIEM..PASS THE REMOTE!

Now where is my cola? Scots50 out!

We have this rule because some coaches in the past refused to use a common sense approach and some players died.That being said,opening football season as early as August 18 is NOT a common sense approach by the T$$AA.Neither is siarting practice July 24th.All this so there's time to work in 5 playoff games per class so the T$$AA's Number 1 priority is met- To rake in the cash !

• Upvote 1

We can talk about the heat rule all we want, but it wont change nothing. I called my Dad and asked him when he started practicing football when he played (60's) and he said about the same time as they do now. They never went in shorts except to run their run test, a mile run. After they ran the mile and made there time, that afternoon they practiced in full pads. The next day they went 2 a days and if you didnt make your mile time you had to do it before and/or after paractice until you made it. He said they never practiced in shorts and they never got water, only salt tablets and vitamin C tablets. He also said they had to paint there ankles with some type of liquid and put powder on them to keep from getting blisters. Parents arent to blame for this, society is. We got lots smarter about water breaks (he also said they couldnt even drink cokes during the season) and medical stuff. The problem is kids dont go outside to play during the summer. Cell phones, video games and all that stuff is what kids do now.

If coaches dont follow the rules they should be fired and not allowed to coach for a year. The TSSAA should put in what the punishment will be if caught cheating.

In the 60's & 70's most people started school on the Tuesday after Labor Day. Football practice would start around the 10th-15th of August and the first game would be played the Friday after Labor Day. Schools would practice for three weeks before the first game. The first week of practice at most schools was 3 day's without pads and then you would practice 2X per day for the rest of the week. The 2nd week some schools went off to a camp where they practiced 2X per day in pads and had 1 conditioning session per day. The 3rd week would be 1 practice per day and then play the 1st game on Friday evening. Most teams played @ 7:30pm or 8:00pm so that fans could get off work and drive to the games. Schools played a schedule of 8 games-10 games plus a bowl game if they were invited. Even after the TSSAA started the state championship series schools would play their regular season games (no bye week) and then the district champion advanced to play for a state championship.