MBA Head Coaching Search

howdoitknow

Okay then I'll throw out another name that has enjoyed tremendous success coaching in Metro/Nashville and that's Tony Brunetti!

In his 5 seasons as head football coach at Pearl-Cohn:

1.) the graduation rate of the football student-athletes at Pearl-Cohn has increased drastically (I can't name a single player that has failed to graduate)

2.) there have been a number of players that he has went the extra mile to help play at the next level and more importantly pursue a college degree

3.) on the field his teams have reached the semifinals twice and the quarterfinals once (previously Pearl-Cohn had failed to reach the third round of the playoffs since 1998)

If MBA is looking for a coach who has won in the past and who has a great relationship with the student/athletes and works to get them opportunities to play at the next level and also go on to earn a college degree then look no further than Coach Brunetti.

The Big Red are in search of a new head football coach. I will begin by saying that this is an elite job. Those that apply for this one are going to be "big time" names for sure.

My Short List of Possibilities

Gary Rankin

Ron Aydelott

Scott Blade

Phillip Shadowens

Maurice Fitzgerald

have your new football coach and he can even double as the AD

do many a favor look south about 40 miles to thompson station -

take the guy that coached db/wr for 3 years and given a head coaching job and even better given the AD job...

take dyson away from us !

I don't live in Nashville, and have no ties to MBA or anyone associated with the program.

But if the reports I read on CityPaper.com concerning this situation are true, MBA might have a hard time finding a coach willing take the job.

Again, I don't know much about this case, other than what is being reported by the Nashville media, but it sure sounds like McGugin is being thrown under the bus and being made a scapegoat for something he wasn't involved in. Call it the worst case of "daddy ball" EVER.

I'm sure MBA is a great job, but are the coaches going to want to get into that situation, knowing they might get fired/asked to resign for no good reason (if the reports are accurate).

There HAS to be more to this story than what is being reported, because there is no way McGugin should lose his job because a group of families tried to help another family privately.

I don't live in Nashville, and have no ties to MBA or anyone associated with the program.

But if the reports I read on CityPaper.com concerning this situation are true, MBA might have a hard time finding a coach willing take the job.

Again, I don't know much about this case, other than what is being reported by the Nashville media, but it sure sounds like McGugin is being thrown under the bus and being made a scapegoat for something he wasn't involved in. Call it the worst case of "daddy ball" EVER.

I'm sure MBA is a great job, but are the coaches going to want to get into that situation, knowing they might get fired/asked to resign for no good reason (if the reports are accurate).

There HAS to be more to this story than what is being reported, because there is no way McGugin should lose his job because a group of families tried to help another family privately.

Absolutely not true. The City Paper was obviously basing their reports on crap from people like you. Find out what happened before you start making accusations.

unless you are simply in awe of the waffle a prospect will wait to see what the issues with the TSSAA are going to be, second....they better be ready for some incredible political undertow. I think you want to be the replacement's replacement....my guess is this will be a short term hire that does not last....time will tell...it is very interesting to see all the canniblism around west end over this issue as they eat their own!!! Glad my kids are not involved...they suffer the most....the adults are all just chest beaters in this debacle.

This is a no-brainer.....David Pack, please come clean up this mess.

Signed,

FRA better get the checkbook ready.

Coach Pack has been pretty vocal to alumni that he will not return to MBA until Gioia has been removed. Seems there is a common thread here.

Coach Pack has been pretty vocal to alumni that he will not return to MBA until Gioia has been removed. Seems there is a common thread here.

If David Pack did say this he would not be in the minority as many others have said the same thing. The truth is that MBA is able to pay so much more than 99.9% of all high schools that some very qualified individual will feel they can work with the administration. The MBA administration has had problems with Ricky Bowers, Jeff Rutledge and now Daniel not to mention several very good assistants. All three of these men won state championships but could not for whatever reason play nicely with the headmaster. Could it be that the problem is with the headmaster and not the football coaching staffs?

Like I said in a previous post, this may be a great time to search for not only a football coach but also conduct a search for an athletic director and headmaster. If you wish to change the culture back to what MBA was for many years you must start at the very top.

Edited by cbg

If David Pack did say this he would not be in the minority as many others have said the same thing. The truth is that MBA is able to pay so much more than 99.9% of all high schools that some very qualified individual will feel they can work with the administration. The MBA administration has had problems with Ricky Bowers, Jeff Rutledge and now Daniel not to mention several very good assistants. All three of these men won state championships but could not for whatever reason play nicely with the headmaster. Could it be that the problem is with the headmaster and not the football coaching staffs?

Like I said in a previous post, this may be a great time to search for not only a football coach but also conduct a search for an athletic director and headmaster. If you wish to change to culture back to what MBA was for many years you must start at the very top.

One of the problems with getting to the root of the issue is that all the coaches who've left are incredibly classy men who've conducted themselves as gentlemen even under difficult and painful circumstances. In my communications with him, Ricky's explanation for leaving revolved around being able to see all of his children at Ensworth, coupled with the opportunity to build something new. If Ensworth is still a successful school and football power 50-75 years from now, he'll be remembered at Ensworth in the same way Howard Allen and Tommy Owen are at MBA. There were rumors of problems between Bowers and Gioia, but nothing really concrete.

The issue with Coach Elliott's exit is similarly disturbing. The man had a long and distinguished tenure at MBA, and not just as a coach. He was an excellent teacher who happened also to be a be a top flight defensive coordinator. It seems a litle odd that ay his age, he would leave for the same job at a rival school. He was very gracious in an email I received from him, but in conversation during the season, his mention of Rutledge led me to believe he felt that situation had been badly handled. And then toward the end of that school year, he announced he was leaving for BA. While chronological order doesn't equal cause and effect, it is certainly food for thought. For my money, the loss of Coach Elliott was the most devastating loss of all the men who've departed MBA. He was a gifted coach, and an outstanding teacher in a difficult subject. More importantly, he was a classy gentleman of the very first order. That's a big set of shoes to fill, without any really compelling reason for them to be empty.