Metro Coaching Carousel

OffTheRecord

Time will tell. Interviews started this week. I'm shocked names haven't been dropped by now.

LOD you have stated the problem or problems. No what is the solutions to the problems. I would be interested in hearing your answers. You can leave out the part about hiring better or new coaches we have seen that. I will throw in one of my answers and maybe this will get your thoughts started. The amount of schools is to large to be effectively managed with the front office staff and superintentdent. I think if they divided the district up into administrative districts it would be easier and better administrated. Also this would allow to trim the fat and run more efficiently. Anyone elses thoughts are appreciated.

LOD you have stated the problem or problems. No what is the solutions to the problems. I would be interested in hearing your answers. You can leave out the part about hiring better or new coaches we have seen that. I will throw in one of my answers and maybe this will get your thoughts started. The amount of schools is to large to be effectively managed with the front office staff and superintentdent. I think if they divided the district up into administrative districts it would be easier and better administrated. Also this would allow to trim the fat and run more efficiently. Anyone elses thoughts are appreciated.

Adding even MORE beauracrats is not the solution. Neither is ANY of the answers the UNION came up with.

The solution is produce or find another occupation both inside and out of the class room. 'Tenure' also needs to be abolished not only in Metro, but statewide.

When alot of problems started is with bussing and the courts interference in locally run schools in the name of 'equality'. This push has destroyed neighborhood schools and caused the growth of 'private' schools and the fleeing to the surrounding counties.

Today we have fully integrated living both in and out of Metro. Yes, I know Belle Meade does not have that many people of color, but it NEVER will and there is nothing schools can do about it. We are already seeing similar problems to try and play fast and loose with semi segregation in the surrounding counties. Thusly 'bussing' is not an excuse that will fly anymore.

This has been a problem that has been building for 40 years. It will not be solved in two or three years, but the solutions need to start NOW.

Adding even MORE beauracrats is not the solution. Neither is ANY of the answers the UNION came up with.

The solution is produce or find another occupation both inside and out of the class room. 'Tenure' also needs to be abolished not only in Metro, but statewide.

When alot of problems started is with bussing and the courts interference in locally run schools in the name of 'equality'. This push has destroyed neighborhood schools and caused the growth of 'private' schools and the fleeing to the surrounding counties.

Today we have fully integrated living both in and out of Metro. Yes, I know Belle Meade does not have that many people of color, but it NEVER will and there is nothing schools can do about it. We are already seeing similar problems to try and play fast and loose with semi segregation in the surrounding counties. Thusly 'bussing' is not an excuse that will fly anymore.

This has been a problem that has been building for 40 years. It will not be solved in two or three years, but the solutions need to start NOW.

this is the only thing i have ever agreed with you on. the loss of neighborhood schools has really hurt metro. no pride from students or community. but hey, its not cost effective. just going to get worse if the governor has his way.

this is the only thing i have ever agreed with you on. the loss of neighborhood schools has really hurt metro. no pride from students or community. but hey, its not cost effective. just going to get worse if the governor has his way.

I second that. If the governor gets all that he wants then the teaching profession is going to become extinct in public schools. The man needs to come take our places for a week and see what all we do for these kids.

I am still trying to figure out how Hillsboro got Coach Blade. You all did notice the success he had and how you could not hold him once he saw the conditions there?

Take the hint folks! <_<

Blade came to MNPS to be closer to family if I am not mistaken. Im not sure why he left but my guess is he had bigger plans in mind and a lack of support. The other "outsider" was Mike Woodward at AHS by way of Ravenwood. Woodward is still at AHS.

I second that. If the governor gets all that he wants then the teaching profession is going to become extinct in public schools. The man needs to come take our places for a week and see what all we do for these kids.

Agree with you totally. The Nashville Storm has our own "Pencil Foundation" that is involved in support activities for elementary schools in some less than prosperous neighborhoods, and I've gotten to sit in on some classes. Public education is both a VERY DIFFICULT and VERY "VALUABLE TO OUR COMMUNITY" job----- anyone that doubts me on that one needs to spend 8 hours with the same group of 25 kids (not your own) and try being interesting and compelling to them for the entire day----- and then do this 180 times every year. And yet, without the dedicated people who do this for modest pay, the fabric of our society falls apart. i honestly believe the education product our teachers produce is very good, but parents need to learn to place the appropriate value on it.

I saw old NIL as both a player and a coach when it was a great environment; and then I saw it "slowly" disinigrate over time.......so I left; it has even gotten worse since then. I really think the only possible chance for improvement in Metro "pubs" is what Moonwink said............the return to smaller neighborhood schools. *note.....as soon as one of the plaintiffs in the "desig, folly, lawsuit, dumbest experiment ever" might happen to complain about that........explain to them that there is nothing left to fight over; so simply shut up and move to wherever you would like to go to school. Folks (hindsight is 20-20), but this federal intervention "experiment or folly" completely destroyed a fine school system.......and ironically the ends justified the means in some folks minds.......in spite of the results. Many people lack the honest appraisal of what has occurred .........they simply wanted to prove a point.

Here is an astonishing fact........in late 60's when the "experiment" commenced......Metro schools = 95,000 + students.......in 2010 (Nashville has grown at least 3 fold).......schools just climbed past 80,000 students..........a bunch of people left.

Best neighborhood schools in Metro are PRIVATE...........parents will support a good product.

Along with the smaller neighborhood schools........IMHO (2) other things must also happen

1.) Get the federal govt out of local schools completely!!

2.) Students must be held accountable for their actions AND their parents must get back to supporting their scholl; instead of "enabling" the unacceptable actions. *note........I still the believe the very large majority of students want and will enjoy stricter guidelines, but WE allow a very small group of craphead students, and an even smaller group of sorry parents; that will ever support anything unless it plays to their selfish wants.......and even then; they will find something else to complain and whine about.

Coach 763:

Great overview. If you look around the country, the same dynamic has happened in major cities.

Cities such as Kansas City and other cities like Nashville have seen public students and schools diminish.

People who have options will move to places like Williamson County or place their children in private schools.

The federal decision to mandate busing was a mistake that created a wound that apparently cannot be healed. Compounding the problem is the dissolution of the family unit.

Teaching is part social work, part teaching. Unless there are magical mandates that can create better parents, the present system is going to struggle.

Teachers can still teach. But the task of "teaching" has become viritually impossible for many indivuals. The distractions and lack of parental support are damaging the learning process.

Therefore, for rational reasons, the numbers in public schools have declined. The root causes are busing and lack of mature, healthy parent development.

Metro schools = 95,000 + students.......in 2010 (Nashville has grown at least 3 fold).......schools just climbed past 80,000 students..........a bunch of people left (public schools).

Edited by StanTrott

Just one that is originally from 'Metro'. My roots are in Antioch as my Mother was a Valdictorian there. A BUNCH of my friends graduated from there.

It is just remembering the great teams that have come from there that is motivating my dislike of what it has become.

This state of affairs is generally not the Coaches fault. It has to do with what alot of things that has gone wrong with our country more than anything. Thing is what is wrong there could be corrected alot easier than the rest of the country. Like the country it will not get better until citizens from all over actually get involved and speak up.

Now will Metro actually hire 'new' coaches or just move around mediocre ones like usual?

Just curious, read alot new to posting, what is wrong with metro coaches? Their must be some good ones? What about assistants moving up, their must be good assts.. The programs that win all the time and make the playoffs year in and year out like Maplewood, Overton, and Pearl must have good coaches that could be good head coaches. Are their good assistant coaches in metro and who might they be. Surely its not that these schools always have the best athletes.

Coach 763:

Great overview. If you look around the country, the same dynamic has happened in major cities.

Cities such as Kansas City and other cities like Nashville have seen public students and schools diminish.

People who have options will move to places like Williamson County or place their children in private schools.

The federal decision to mandate busing was a mistake that created a wound that apparently cannot be healed. Compounding the problem is the dissolution of the family unit.

Teaching is part social work, part teaching. Unless there are magical mandates that can create better parents, the present system is going to struggle.

Teachers can still teach. But the task of "teaching" has become viritually impossible for many indivuals. The distractions and lack of parental support are damaging the learning process.

Therefore, for rational reasons, the numbers in public schools have declined. The root causes are busing and lack of mature, healthy parent development.

Metro schools = 95,000 + students.......in 2010 (Nashville has grown at least 3 fold).......schools just climbed past 80,000 students..........a bunch of people left (public schools).

In 1970, Metro had 100,000 students. Today there is around 75,000. That is after falling into the 60,000 range. Anyone that could get out of metro did a long time ago. Those that did not have the means or motivation to leave have now started to multiply again. Metro has little chance of improvement.

Just curious, read alot new to posting, what is wrong with metro coaches? Their must be some good ones? What about assistants moving up, their must be good assts.. The programs that win all the time and make the playoffs year in and year out like Maplewood, Overton, and Pearl must have good coaches that could be good head coaches. Are their good assistant coaches in metro and who might they be. Surely its not that these schools always have the best athletes.

Talk to the head coach you are working for and ask him how he got his job...