Open zones, Privates, and Public Schools

Govolsknox

you support a school that exploits a loophole that gives them an unfair advantage. you won't find that written in a book, you can't even recognize it staring at you in the mirror. mellow.gif

Where is the advantage? It is easy to sit out in cyberspace and criticize a school system that you know nothing about. 99% of the tuition paying students at GHS are students not participating in athletics. The ones that are athletes have been in the school system since grade school. Do we have some secret pyschic ability that allows us to look into the future and determine who is going to be a great athlete. No we do not. What we do have is a system of outstanding teachers and coaches that develops these kids into winners both on the field and in the class room. A loser finds excuses for their failures in what someone else is doing. A winner looks inward and changes what they are doing.

you support a school that exploits a loophole that gives them an unfair advantage. you won't find that written in a book, you can't even recognize it staring at you in the mirror. mellow.gif

you are the one who brought up the book...so how would you react if the team you supports became open-zoned or heck, just pulled a SM and pawned off a recruit as a "hardship"...or just lied on the paperwork about change of residence like most of them do? Would you find it so repulsive if it helped your team? It happens most everywhere every day. There way more schools scamming the system and getting ahead than there are those "exploiting a loophole". I took advantage of the opportunities open enrollment offered my daughter and I was glad to be able to get her in the only school in Greene County at the time that had a music program and AP classes. The GHS band places more kids in college on scholarship than all the sports programs in Greene County combined and Greeneville still ranks among the highest in the state in AP scores. I have never had a child in athletics at Greeneville. That is the case of most of the tuition students in the city school system. I have friends who sent their kids to city elementary schools because it was more convenient than the county school they were zoned for. There are kids who live a mile from Greeneville elementary schools who are zoned for county schools are a 45 minute bus ride away.The reasons for tuition enrollment are not as nefarious as you make them out to be. These teams are not better because they have a few out of zone students, but because they have a committment to excellence and the resources to acheive it.

Wasn't whining and your post isn't even relevant to the subject at hand. CPA's success, as a 347 student school in a district with schools over 1,000 and a division with schools over 700, isn't due to recruiting or violating the rules - it is due to a dedication to success, hard work by the kids, and a tradition that stands for excellence. Some places have these things,both public and private, other don't. CPA has success because they accept the situation they are in, and work to make the best of it. Win or lose, that commitment is what prepares kids to face the challenges of life after high school.

Made me laugh out loud, do you honestly expect us to believe that all those guys on the hoops team just happened to be driving down Old Hickory Blvd and decided to give old CPA a try? Come on man, why don't you tell us how many of those fellows showed up after playing on Maddux's AAU team?

easy solution.....if anyone has to pay tuition to go to a school (public or private..even if it's 50 bucks like Maryville or Alcoa).....put them in the league with the privates..let them battle it out....schools that play with what gets off the yellow bus..let them play for the true state championship like it used to be...

$50 bucks Maryville......I have been cheated all these years.....Maryville is more on the line of $2100 / $2200 per student, no break for siblings (my wife writes the tuition check each year not sure if it is $2100... or $2200 per child). You have to apply and if your student does not keep the grades up or is a problem child in the classroom you can lose your spot / not guaranteed the next year.

I have contacted StarsNbars about his garbage service. I heard if my boys can get their 40 time down below 4.8 secs the price of garbage service is cheaper than the tuition and playing a sport guarantees them enrollment :roflol:

If the parents want a better opportunity for their child on the field or in the classroom that is their business and if they can afford the cost then have at it. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT AND YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM, PAY TUITION AND JOIN THEM OR QUIT CRYING ABOUT HOW UNFAIR IT IS.

Edited by Frinitlites

easy solution.....if anyone has to pay tuition to go to a school (public or private..even if it's 50 bucks like Maryville or Alcoa).....put them in the league with the privates..let them battle it out....schools that play with what gets off the yellow bus..let them play for the true state championship like it used to be...

Ya like it used to be back in the good ol days ... wait a sec , TSSAA playoffs didn't start till 1969 and that pesky ol school named Maryville won in 1970 ... with tuition students ... just like when they were losing in the 80's ... with tuition students . Let's just keep coming up with new formulas so everybody can take a gold ball home ...

Made me laugh out loud, do you honestly expect us to believe that all those guys on the hoops team just happened to be driving down Old Hickory Blvd and decided to give old CPA a try? Come on man, why don't you tell us how many of those fellows showed up after playing on Maddux's AAU team?

Made me laugh out loud, do you honestly expect us to believe that with all of the Maddux and CPA "haters" that are in the publics that the TSSAA would have shut CPA down if there was illegalities? Sure, these kids know Maddux and the program at CPA, but you are naive if you think they don't keep up with where the best coaches and programs are. Who are you to tell a parent or kid they are wrong to make a decision about what school is best for their future, either in school, environment, or sports? If they are attracted to CPA and that is what they think is best for their family, who are you to tell them they should stay where they are? My son had a good friend at CPA for grades 1-8 whose family decided Ensworth was better for him than CPA, so he went there for HS and became a great football player who now plays for Ole Miss. i don't blame Ensworth for "recruiting" him. it is a free country and the parents felt it was best for him to go to Ensworth, and it was.

Where is the advantage? It is easy to sit out in cyberspace and criticize a school system that you know nothing about. 99% of the tuition paying students at GHS are students not participating in athletics. The ones that are athletes have been in the school system since grade school. Do we have some secret pyschic ability that allows us to look into the future and determine who is going to be a great athlete. No we do not. What we do have is a system of outstanding teachers and coaches that develops these kids into winners both on the field and in the class room. A loser finds excuses for their failures in what someone else is doing. A winner looks inward and changes what they are doing.

Last time I checked snoball's team had far more State Championships than yours so his school isn't looking for excuses. And his school doesn't win using open enrollment.

So you're saying you have over 900 OOZ students in the high school? I will say again all you Greeneville posters are the same. If your open enrollment isn't a big deal why do you guys lie about the numbers? :roflolk:

Last time I checked snoball's team had far more State Championships than yours so his school isn't looking for excuses. And his school doesn't win using open enrollment.

So you're saying you have over 900 OOZ students in the high school? I will say again all you Greeneville posters are the same. If your open enrollment isn't a big deal why do you guys lie about the numbers? :roflolk:

I'm starting to Believe you have reading problems. Where did 900 OOZ students number even come up? GHS doesn't even have 900 students in the school. What numbers has any Greeneville poster lied about? Sorry we are informed from day one about tuition when your kids attends a Greeneville City School :rolleyes:

Edited by Swipes

Made me laugh out loud, do you honestly expect us to believe that with all of the Maddux and CPA "haters" that are in the publics that the TSSAA would have shut CPA down if there was illegalities? Sure, these kids know Maddux and the program at CPA, but you are naive if you think they don't keep up with where the best coaches and programs are. Who are you to tell a parent or kid they are wrong to make a decision about what school is best for their future, either in school, environment, or sports? If they are attracted to CPA and that is what they think is best for their family, who are you to tell them they should stay where they are? My son had a good friend at CPA for grades 1-8 whose family decided Ensworth was better for him than CPA, so he went there for HS and became a great football player who now plays for Ole Miss. i don't blame Ensworth for "recruiting" him. it is a free country and the parents felt it was best for him to go to Ensworth, and it was.

You've made some valid points. Most parents want to do what is best for their child, and deciding what school(s) they will attend is a big decision. You only seem to be pointing out why CPA is at a disadvantage and how they are doing everything in a "legal" manner as it relates to TSSAA rules. I have some comments and questions...

As far as the TSSAA finding “illegalitiesâ€â€¦

Based on the TSSAA website, there are only 20 people on staff, not including the Board of Control and the Legislative Council. The TSSAA is not the NCAA; they do not have an enforcement department or anything similar. They depend on schools self reporting “illegalities.†I’m not saying CPA is not doing things by the book. I am saying that it is my opinion that there are a lot of illegalities going on in Tennessee football when it comes to TSSAA rules being followed. Some blatantly break rules, and some just bend the rules or find loop holes to get around the intent of the rule(s).

Benefits of CPA…

In one post you said, “CPA's success, as a 347 student school in a district with schools over 1,000 and a division with schools over 700, isn't due to recruiting or violating the rules - it is due to a dedication to success, hard work by the kids, and a tradition that stands for excellence.†You just admitted that it is possible for a parent to pick a school based upon what is best for the student’s athletic future; you even gave an example. I just want to hear you admit that part of CPA’s athletic successes are due to being able to accept students from anywhere as long as they pay tuition and meet an academic standard. Dedication and hard work are a part of it, but you have to admit that most private schools are dealt a pretty good hand when it comes to the quality of the student-athletes they are given from year to year.

Finally, you ignored one of the poster’s comments about some new CPA players and their dads receiving coaching positions. Is this true? If so, are they paid non-faculty coaches or are they licensed teachers?

Take your high school aged student and $500 and see if it is SIMPLE AS THAT! :roflolk:

Not a chance! Due to over-crowding starting in 2008, OZ students have to be accepted

from the Middle school with a very high academic and disciplinary record. Now,that the middle school is at capacity, acceptance only comes through the Elementary school. Plus,there is a 2 year wait to get a OZ into Elementary school.

ALL new players to the Alcoa Football team this season took a 37701 zip in get in. Even the future QB that lives in Blount County have to MOVE to Alcoa. FACT! :thumb:

BC, what difference does it make whether the kid comes in and pays tuition in the 8th grade and continues on to graduate at Alcoa, or whether he comes in the 10th grade and continues on to graduate? They are still there.

I am not trying to play devils advocate here, because I very well may be at Alcoa with mine, but it makes no difference when they come. I personally know...not heard of... I know of one new high schooler (junior) that was on the football team this year from the county, and he definitely has not moved nor will he move. I also know 9 more that are in middle school, those are just the ones I know personally, all 9 are not football players as 3 of them are girls and play basketball, but my point is, regardless of when they are taken in, they will still be there in high school.

As I said, I may be there with my kid next year, but I don't think I will view it any differently then as I do now. I am sitting here trying to make a decision on where to send my kid, CAK or Alcoa... the grades are no problem at all, the discipline is no problem at all, the transportation is easier to Alcoa, and the tuition is definitely more affordable at Alcoa. So, being a parent that enjoys living in the county and has no interest in living on a 1/4 acre lot in the city, I have these two choices in front of me and trying to be as fair as I can, I cannot see what makes Alcoa or any open zone school, any different than a D1 private.

I have used Alcoa here simply because they are in 3A along with CAK. Obviously, this stuff is cool to discuss, but it really doesn't matter what any of us think, it isn't going to change. Alcoa, or any other open zone school has done nothing wrong, you play with the rules that are set before you. BC, I hope you don't hold it against me that my opinion differs a little from yours.