Reclassification

fblover

Listen bro, the world isn't fair. Everybody isn't the same. The core talent of Alcoa's program has always come from 3 streets about a mile, maybe two, from the high school. Do they get an occasional tuition student that makes a difference? I am sure they do. But you name one of the Alcoa players that have gone on to play in the SEC in the last few years and the overwhelming majority of them were from the previously discussed area.

As for Maryville, all the kids that you think they have that are tuition students moved to the school zone. Why have they shifted the entire populations that makes up the school district? Because they are running out of room. This isn't caused by 1000's of tuition students. Rutherford county isn't the only area of the state of Tennessee that experiences growth. To be a tuition student at Maryville city schools you better be under the age of 10, because that is the only way you are going to make it in.

Sorry man life isn't always fair. Alcoa may charge $500 in tuition, but 3 streets less than a couple miles from the school have put as many kids into the SEC and NFL as you are ever going to find in any area of the state.

Riverdanceron chases cats

Boom! Roasted!

26% of Alcoa students are tuition students. 1 out of 4 kids at Alcoa do not live in Alcoa city limits. If I am correct Robinson that is at UK now lived in WB district and was a tuition student. I'd venture to say that a large majority of that 26% plays football. It's been happening for years and I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

26% of Alcoa students are tuition students. 1 out of 4 kids at Alcoa do not live in Alcoa city limits. If I am correct Robinson that is at UK now lived in WB district and was a tuition student. I'd venture to say that a large majority of that 26% plays football. It's been happening for years and I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

BOOOMM...EXPOSED qb7. :roflol:

My friend's son lived in Knoxville, paid tuition, started 4 yrs and played college ball. He was not in that lil circle of 3 miles either.

Heritage's starting QB the first time they ever beat Maryville, lived in Alcoa! :rolleyes:

You can look at it that way or you can look at it as a disadvantage. They have to take everyone in their zone even if they don't play sports or aren't athletic or if they are on welfare & these students increase their enrollment.

Private schools don't have to take just anyone & they won't take the welfare students, but they will take the ones that can afford personal trainers to prepare for every sport they wish to play.

Although I definitely see where you are coming from, private schools do not select students solely based on athletic ability. Generally, if one has the necessary money and grades, they will be admitted. Many kids go to private schools for the education and are far from athletic, yet these kids still count towards a school's multiplier.

I also would have to say that the financial aspect is a challenge, rather than a benefit, for private schools. Private school tuition is extremely expensive, and so are the personal trainers that you mention. Many parents do not possess the financial means to afford this, and this significantly cuts down the pool of kids from which a private school can draw.

Also, I cannot see how it is a disadvantage for public schools to have to take students who are on welfare. One's financial standing does not correlate with athletic ability.

Edited by AllRegion

Actually allregion, at Brentwood Aca you are required to play a sport. When the guy who started Brentwood Aca broke from BGA he stated he wanted to create a school that emphasised athletics. Just one example. On a different note, how many of those kids that have tution students work at Alcoa's little plant there. Kind of like the Nissan plant for Rutherford Co. Rankin got many a job filled there. And yes I do know.

There are currently two ALCOA plants in Alcoa. There is the North Plant and the South Plant. There was a West plant, but it has been razed and the property is being redeveloped. Part of the former West plant property is where the new Alcoa High School baseball and softball fields are located. There are plans to build a new building for the High School also.

Size wise, I don't believe you can refer to them as little plant(s). The are quite large. In addition to the plants, ALCOA owns a large amount of pasture and wooded land around each plant. This was a result of a lawsuit years ago, where someone sued ALCOA for the death of cattle. ALCOA is no longer the largest employer in Blount County, but it still contributes a huge payroll to the local economy. That current largest employer in Blount County is Denso which is located in Maryville.

How come we never talk about Oak Ridge? :ph34r:

Edited by Red Rebels

You named one player that made a noticable impact that was an SEC kid. Now before you start naming more, let me ask where the multiple players named, Warren, Lindsey, Mitchell etc... have lived?

I don't know where Randall Cobb lived, but I do know that he didn't play QB his 1st few years at Alcoa, because they had a tuition QB. Future NFL player on the bench for a kid from Heritage school zone.

Fact is you can find facts that support either view. It ain't changing...get over it. Just be glad that, Oakland doesn't have to play them, and Heritage dropped them from the schedule years ago to quit getting embarrassed. :roflol:

You named one player that made a noticable impact that was an SEC kid. Now before you start naming more, let me ask where the multiple players named, Warren, Lindsey, Mitchell etc... have lived?

I don't know where Randall Cobb lived, but I do know that he didn't play QB his 1st few years at Alcoa, because they had a tuition QB. Future NFL player on the bench for a kid from Heritage school zone.

Fact is you can find facts that support either view. It ain't changing...get over it. Just be glad that, Oakland doesn't have to play them, and Heritage dropped them from the schedule years ago to quit getting embarrassed. :roflol:

Here's the thing, we DID play them. We played Rankin's other version of them every yr in a game that counted district-wise and then again in the playoffs. It was called Riverdale. No tuition required but "free rent" given in the football dorms down the street for those who qualified talent wise. He brought in kids and their families from South Carolina, Alabama, and surrounding counties; and as Gwave1 stated above got the parents juicy jobs at Nissan in Smyrna. He even had a player playing for him whose dad was the live in janitor at Blackman High School. So his son lived inside Blackman high in an apartment while wearing Riverdale football clothes using Blackman water to wash his vehicle while gazing at the BHS football players doing their running. Then he drove off to practice at Riverdale. Did I mention that Blackman was in our district too? Rankin had quite the lil production going for many many yrs. Til the heat got turned up on him and he left to go to a school where he considered it a challenge. That was Alcoa. Real challenge, right? Guess it is much easier now for him with the plant there and the tuition to make it "legal"....we know how Rankin does things and Alcoa should be in the privates.

Edited by 2priceless

Here's the thing, we DID play them. We played Rankin's other version of them every yr in a game that counted district-wise and then again in the playoffs. It was called Riverdale. No tuition required but "free rent" given in the football dorms down the street for those who qualified talent wise. He brought in kids and their families from South Carolina, Alabama, and surrounding counties; and as Gwave1 stated above got the parents juicy jobs at Nissan in Smyrna. He even had a player playing for him whose dad was the live in janitor at Blackman High School. So his son lived inside Blackman high in an apartment while wearing Riverdale football clothes using Blackman water to wash his vehicle while gazing at the BHS football players doing their running. Then he drove off to practice at Riverdale. Did I mention that Blackman was in our district too? Rankin had quite the lil production going for many many yrs. Til the heat got turned up on him and he left to go to a school where he considered it a challenge. That was Alcoa. Real challenge, right? Guess it is much easier now for him with the plant there and the tuition to make it "legal"....we know how Rankin does things and Alcoa should be in the privates.

So in your shotgun approach to justice you are really aiming at Alcoa and Maryville is collateral damage?

What stands out to me, in your post, as the most interesting fact is; Blackman has a live in janitor? :rolleyes:

So your issue is more with Rankin than anything else? Alcoa did not ammend it's tuition policy to appease Rankin. It was in place before he arrived. Greeneville has no tuition and any in-county kid can come there and play.

The issue is that your school happens to be in a County School System, while the schools that you claim should be private are in their own City School System. Should there be a County Division, a City Division, and a Private Division?

TSSAA recruiting rules allow your program to:

1. With the permission of the administration of both schools, a school may present programs or give

information to elementary, junior high, or middle schools, which explain their total educational program.

There should be a diversity of presenters, speaking on a variety of topics to students of all interests.

This can be done at any school, in any district. Take advantage of the rules to give yourself an advantage.