Sullivan South/Cleveland Playoff issue

mjuhb

Mistakes happen. I won't criticize anyone trying to do a big project in such a short amount to time for making a mistake.

But the responce to the mistake? That is a different matter.

TSSAA needs to do two things. Redo the entire set of brackets in Quad 1 and 2 and make it RIGHT. That is what should be done. In my job, if Childress (or any TSSAA official) walked with a complaint and we were in error he would EXPECT me to do exactly that. MAKE it RIGHT. Not half way, or whatever was expedient. Too many people want to halfway do what should be done correctly. And doing it right is an important lesson.

Second I understand they must disregard the head to head when looking at wild cards across the state. BUT, if they have two from the same district, not looking at the head to head is irresponsibly lacking in common sense.

Now don't think I do not want to not see Walker Valley in the playoffs, but in this instance Cleveland should be in before them. Personally, I want both of them in, as well as Bradley Central, as a Bradley County resident and supporter of all three programs.

There are three problems here:

First, the TSSAA Board of Control adopted a playoff format that is error-prone. Its complexity leads to mistakes, and its lack of clarity doesn't guarantee that every mistake will be caught.

Second, the TSSAA allows politics to trump the welfare of its member schools. Why did the organization refuse to reseed the bracket? To avoid upsetting more schools, never mind the fact that it's going out of its way to unduly damage South in the process.

Third, the TSSAA lacks vision. It passed a playoff system most speculated would lead to confusion and conflict. It didn't put procedures in place for correcting an error like this. And its solution didn't adequately address the problems it caused for South and Cleveland.

The TSSAA has lots of good people in the main office. Unfortunately, those good people have allowed their organization to drop the ball on many occasions.

I think both should be in over White County, (I understand they finished second in their district and that automatically qualifies them), they finished with a 4-6 record overall and only had to win 3 games in a weak district to finish second. I don't have anything against White County or their players or coaches but still, in with 4 wins and teams out with 5 wins seems a little unfair to me.

Cleveland def got shafted. Not only did they beat WV but white co gets in with a 4-6 record. I wonder if a few tssaa board members are white cty grads

All Cleveland had to do is beat Rhea.. Yeah you beat WV, but WV beat Rhea Co... If you think Cleveland should be in over WV, then maybe Rhea should be in over Cleveland..

It's not about any 1 game..when it comes to seeding.

And a Cleveland fan made trhe comment that CHS needed to schedule more cupcakes, the problem is you did schedule more cupcakes, that's why you lost the tiebreaker to WV.

I pull for the Bradley Co teams to be succesful, but CHS has no one to blame but themselves, try keeping the penalties in single digits and beat Rhea Co.

Edited by Charlie Murphy

There are three problems here:

First, the TSSAA Board of Control adopted a playoff format that is error-prone. Its complexity leads to mistakes, and its lack of clarity doesn't guarantee that every mistake will be caught.

Second, the TSSAA allows politics to trump the welfare of its member schools. Why did the organization refuse to reseed the bracket? To avoid upsetting more schools, never mind the fact that it's going out of its way to unduly damage South in the process.

Third, the TSSAA lacks vision. It passed a playoff system most speculated would lead to confusion and conflict. It didn't put procedures in place for correcting an error like this. And its solution didn't adequately address the problems it caused for South and Cleveland.

The TSSAA has lots of good people in the main office. Unfortunately, those good people have allowed their organization to drop the ball on many occasions.

Great points all, Wes, but you need to add a number 4:

4. Not only did they pass a playoff system that would lead to confusion and conflict, but they reaffirmed said system when they voted to stay with the same system for another 5 year period.

Yes, there are some really solid individuals within the TSSAA. Unfortunately, those solid individuals aren't in a position to make decisions.

The last time we played at Columbia the Rebel Nation traveled well, even came close to matching the home side in numbers. Not sure how that will pan out this year. The whole Rebel Band is supposed to be at the school early Saturday morning to leave for a competition in Chattanooga.

Wow. No band travelling then and no band parents then. TSSAA won't get much gate on this one. South will get $2.00 per ticket sold and all travel expenses paid. It feels liike blood money... importing sacrificial lambs for the Columbia Lions. Edited by crawdad

JUST DO WHATS RIGHT. . . PERIOD (actually three of them)If you need to move all quad 1 & 2 games to Saturday afternoon to accomplish this do it. Correct your mistake. After three years of this system you should know how to do it quickly and accurately.

I don't know how you arrive at the final standings but the fans out there seem to accomplish in a few hours after the final scores are in. The Enka record was discussed on this web site hours before your official announcment.

Actually at the end of week nine the person responsible should have known that the enka record was 5-5 and that wasn't going to change. (get out the red highlighter and apply it to your notes). If you have a computer program that does all the work for you it failed to recognize that 5+6 is greater than 10.

Shame on you T$$AA!