This is why we need instant replay...

Probably just a simple mental mistake by Masengil, or maybe even Coach Morgan was just "making sure" some speedy player didn't drop back for a layup.

I've seen Masengil play multiple times over her career and there are few players like her. Happy for the Lionettes, but sad that such a player's career ends in such a way. It will haunt her the rest of her life..

With technology the way it is- it's easy to see she may have got the shot off just a bit late- but in real time and even if you're at the game- it would have been hard to tell. A tough break for McMinn who's Senior class will miss out on a 4th straight trip to da BORO- Last year's Miss Basketball Winner and a finalist this year in Masengill is the real deal and I look forward to seeing her play hoops in West TN next year at UT-Martin. Two Miss Basketball finalists on the same floor and two great teams going toe to toe with a LOT on the line-- Last play aside and we can debate this or that- Cannon Co. will be in the elite 8 and one could make a case on putting them, Livingston and McMinn in different parts of the state and they could get to the Final Four. Just a tough part of the game but it should be a great AA field and I can attest to two quality teams coming from West TN (13AA) in Covington and Westview. B) Getcha Popcorn Ready :popcorneater:

Shot was late. But had Central shot free throws better they would of won. Paper said they were 10 of 24. I think the girl who shot it knew it was late also. Hate it for them.

I'm 100% sure the girl who made the shot was not looking at the clock when the ball left her hand. I don't really think she knew if it counted or not until she looked at the ref but did have some doubt in her mind as anyone would. Video replay is cost prohibitive at the high school level and you might have to add another official but it may be feasible to put red lights on the back boards like in college. Heck, maybe we should put in a shot clock too. If I'm a ref calling a game where someone makes an amazing shot at the buzzer that is this close I would probably give them the benefit of the doubt and call it good. That being said, frame by frame analysis suggests the shot was 0.2 seconds late but who can fault a ref for missing that?

With technology the way it is- it's easy to see she may have got the shot off just a bit late- but in real time and even if you're at the game- it would have been hard to tell. A tough break for McMinn who's Senior class will miss out on a 4th straight trip to da BORO- Last year's Miss Basketball Winner and a finalist this year in Masengill is the real deal and I look forward to seeing her play hoops in West TN next year at UT-Martin. Two Miss Basketball finalists on the same floor and two great teams going toe to toe with a LOT on the line-- Last play aside and we can debate this or that- Cannon Co. will be in the elite 8 and one could make a case on putting them, Livingston and McMinn in different parts of the state and they could get to the Final Four. Just a tough part of the game but it should be a great AA field and I can attest to two quality teams coming from West TN (13AA) in Covington and Westview. B) Getcha Popcorn Ready :popcorneater:

3 of the final 8 teams this year will be in the same district next year how unfair is that!

It seems more obvious to me that its late than what I'm reading. Her arms are not extended enough to push the ball from her hands as the clock hits 0. But in actuality instant replay won't work until you get qualified refs who can analyze it. I swear one of the lady refs in our game last night was so lost she would have looked at this video, counted the shot, and put some time back on the clock .

I can see how upset it would make you definitely, but with the score so close it looks like both teams were deserving of the win. If you're a ref and you are watching this live in person then it's alot harder to call than it is for us. I don't know about everyone else, but I've sat and watched the replay a few times over and over and paused it and what not. Refs don't even get a second look at all.

Question for anyone in the know? Last report I seen was Central up 1 with 6 seconds left. I assume Central got the ball and was fouled and made the second of a two shot bonus free throw and Cannon County took the ball out with a couple seconds left. Can somebody fill me in on the last 6 seconds?

Question for anyone in the know? Last report I seen was Central up 1 with 6 seconds left. I assume Central got the ball and was fouled and made the second of a two shot bonus free throw and Cannon County took the ball out with a couple seconds left. Can somebody fill me in on the last 6 seconds?

LOL, just posted this in another thread for you but will do it here too..

Cannon County (28-6) watched a 13-point third-quarter lead dwindle away as McMinn Central guard Sidni Williams scored 12 of her 16 points in the final 8:12. Her drive gave the Chargerettes their first lead since the second quarter at 53-51, but Jakes' second 3-pointer with 2:13 remaining put the Lionettes back on top.

Kelsey Young had a putback with 1:00 remaining to put McMinn Central back on top by a point, but she and Williams missed three free throws in the final minute. Williams hit one of two free throws with 6.2 seconds to go, after which Dodgen called a timeout and set up a play.

The ball was inbounded to Sissom, who worked the ball up court to Jakes, whose 3 point shot rattled in.

Edited by woodvegas

Hate to see McMinn Central go out like this. An obvious blown call, but that's how sports go sometimes.

I remember a State Championship Game that ended with a shot of this kind. The opposing team complained our player did not get the shot off in time until a photograph was published showing the ball in flight with 0.01 on the clock in the background. This instance from what I can see shows maybe not.

But i will not bash the refs on that close of a call, in real time with real speed. Even if I disagree with a call most genuinely try their best. My only real complaint is when they are not consistant from start to finish, and equal to both sides.