7AAA predictions and expectations

BKisler

How does 7AAA look for 20013 ? I have heard that Oakland is loaded with talent with as many a 7-8 D-1 prospects. I saw the Siegel scrimmage vs Mt Juliet and the Stars will be very good. Their back field will be one of the best in the state. have heard that Blackman will be good but don't know what they have. What about Riverdale, Smyrna, LaVergne ? Stewarts creek will struggle being a new school .

• Upvote 1

R'dale does NOT have their QB to carry them anymore. Neither do they have the multiple offensive lines to carry the water for a prolonged ground game.

I predict they will go 6-4 at best and possibly 5-5. Hated to write that, but that how I see them shaping up.

Hopefully the DEFENSE will be improved, but I will not bet good money on it.

Oakland is LOADED. Also their defense is MUCH improved.

Siegel, will not have their fine QB again, but they are reloading and building mutiple lines on offense and defense. Look for a good supply of fresh legs constantly coming in and going out.

Blackman I have not seen...........YET. I will though before the season starts.

Smyrna is the great unknown. Have they found another Sonny Gray to carry them to glory?

LaVergne will NOT be the bottom dweller this year. That spot is reserved for Stewarts Creek this year. Do NOT expect them to stay there though.

Oakland should be the team to beat. Siegel will be slightly down but still good enough to be second. Third through fifth will be a toss up between riverdale, Smyrna, and Blackman. I'll go with that order though. Smyrna was really young and should be improved. La verge will be sixth and then sc. Give sc a couple years and they will pass la vergne and maybe Smyrna.

I didn't get to see much spring ball so this is a poorly supported guess. Reserving the right to change my picks in August, I see it:

1. Oakland

2. Siegel

3. Blackman

4. Smyrna or Riverdale

6. Lavergne

7. Stewart's Creek

Hope Riverdale can do better than that but just don't see it at this point.

My predictions after end of spring:

1. Oakland

2. Blackman

3. Siegel

4. Smyrna

5. Riverdale

6. LaVergne

7. Stewarts Creek

DIstrict MVP- Denzel Harding, TB Siegel

Offensive POY- Jauan Jennings- QB Blackman

Defensive MVP- Josh Smith- LB Oakland

Oakland- Oakland is in this spot because they feature of alot of experience on both sides of the ball and possess a ridiculous amout of Division 1 talent ( Austin Barret, Caleb Yates, Josh and Emmanuel Smith, Tyler Black, Kyle Oliver, and Kevin Prather will all be playing division 1 football when all is said and done ). Emmanuel Smith was the starting QB in the spring, but dont be suprised if fellow Senior Rhett Stacey is the man taking the snaps behind center when all is said and done.

Oakland's strength on offense is in its running game. With 4 college linemen and 4 very capable backs in Fred Wade, Tyler Black, DJ Hood, and Josh Cunningham. Not to mention 2 very talented ball carries at fullback in David Newman and Kevin Prather. Defensively, this is the most athletic unit ive seen at Oakland since the arrival of Coach McDaniel. Josh Smith, Emmanuel Smith, Kevin Prather and Malek Holman give Oakland a truly fearsome foursome in the middle of that defense. For the person that asked earlier, yes Coach Nix does have a son, Ty, that plays for Oakland and will see significant time on the defensive line. Tyler Black highlights what will be a very solid secondary.

For special teams, if you havent memorized the name Tyler Black, I would do so immediately. Not the most talented, or the fastest, tallest, etc. but he is bar none the best pure football player Oakland has, will make life a living nightmare for teams in all 3 phases of the game.

Blackman- Came away very impressed with Blackman, especially with QB Jauan Jennings. Jennings has the rare ability to just flat out kill you with his arm or his feet, its that talent that will keep Blackman in every game this season, regardless of the competition. However, focusing just on Jennings would be a mistake because Blackman has a solid group of backs to take the heat off their quarterback.

However, I do have questions about their defense, especially up front. Very small defensive line which does a good job of utilizing their pinch's and slant's, but is that going to be enough when they face a big and skilled offensive line like Oakland? That remains to be seen. Blackman-Siegel will be one heckuva game to watch.

Siegel- I have Siegel at 3rd not because of what they lost on offense, but what they lost on defense. Yes, they lost a once-in-a-generation type talent in Brent Stockstill, but people forget that their defense was just as solid last year. Denzel Harding will be asked to fill that role of superstar and I think he will do it quite nicely, but will have alot of help in the backfield in the Knox brothers, and Howse. Dakota Crane seems to have the complete trust of Coach Wyant, but it will be interesting to see if SIegel's playcalling reflects that considering the loaded backfield Siegel will have.

Smyrna- Smyrna's here for a couple of reasons: 1.) Upcoming talent that is only going to get better over the course of the year. 2.) A very favorable schedule that doesnt get tough until late. 3.) Complete lack of faith in Riverdale's ability to build a program long- term. I think 6, even 7 wins is not out of the question for Smyrna, but the must hold serve in their non-district schedule to have a chance at that. The season opener against LaVergne and the next week against Cane Ridge will be very telling if Smyrna is to be taken seriously.

Riverdale- As previously stated, I have doubts that Riverdale can replenish their talent through their feeder schools. No DIllon Woodruff and lost all those great linemen (Glover,McCullough,Boykin, etc.). If Aydellot can get a 4th or even 3rd place finish out of this team, then I gladly eat my crow, but if doesnt look good for the Warriors at this point. They do have a great back in Mariko Odom that they can build around but still need alot more pieces to be competitive on both sides of the ball.

LaVergne- Like Smyrna, LaVergne can be a wild card in this district. The talent is there to make a run for at least 4th in this district but must be able to seal the deal when they have a chance in district play. Their win over Oakland last year was a step in the right direction, but their hurdle is as much mental as it is physical.

Stewarts Creek- I wonder if Coach Martin really knew what he was getting himself into. Not being able to practice in the spring will really hurt. Fortunately, the Wing-T should allow them to keep scores relatively close for a first year program in most games.

Hope you guys like my little preview, of course, it has a little bit of a Oakland slant, but would love to hear about the other teams in the district. Also looking for rosters or any kind of information I can use for the 7-AAA website I have (Which is linked below at my signature). Looking forward to a great season in 7-AAA

• Upvote 1

1. Oakland

2. Blackman

3. Siegel

4. Smyrna

5. Riverdale

6. LaVergne

7. Stewarts Creek

Oakland- Oakland is in this spot because they feature of alot of experience on both sides of the ball and possess a ridiculous amout of Division 1 talent ( Austin Barret, Caleb Yates, Josh and Emmanuel Smith, Tyler Black, Kyle Oliver, and Kevin Prather will all be playing division 1 football when all is said and done ). Emmanuel Smith was the starting QB in the spring, but dont be suprised if fellow Senior Rhett Stacey is the man taking the snaps behind center when all is said and done.

Oakland's strength on offense is in its running game. With 4 college linemen and 4 very capable backs in Fred Wade, Tyler Black, DJ Hood, and Josh Cunningham. Not to mention 2 very talented ball carries at fullback in David Newman and Kevin Prather. Defensively, this is the most athletic unit ive seen at Oakland since the arrival of Coach McDaniel. Josh Smith, Emmanuel Smith, Kevin Prather and Malek Holman give Oakland a truly fearsome foursome in the middle of that defense. For the person that asked earlier, yes Coach Nix does have a son, Ty, that plays for Oakland and will see significant time on the defensive line. Tyler Black highlights what will be a very solid secondary.

For special teams, if you havent memorized the name Tyler Black, I would do so immediately. Not the most talented, or the fastest, tallest, etc. but he is bar none the best pure football player Oakland has, will make life a living nightmare for teams in all 3 phases of the game.

Blackman- Came away very impressed with Blackman, especially with QB Jauan Jennings. Jennings has the rare ability to just flat out kill you with his arm or his feet, its that talent that will keep Blackman in every game this season, regardless of the competition. However, focusing just on Jennings would be a mistake because Blackman has a solid group of backs to take the heat off their quarterback.

However, I do have questions about their defense, especially up front. Very small defensive line which does a good job of utilizing their pinch's and slant's, but is that going to be enough when they face a big and skilled offensive line like Oakland? That remains to be seen. Blackman-Siegel will be one heckuva game to watch.

Siegel- I have Siegel at 3rd not because of what they lost on offense, but what they lost on defense. Yes, they lost a once-in-a-generation type talent in Brent Stockstill, but people forget that their defense was just as solid last year. Denzel Harding will be asked to fill that role of superstar and I think he will do it quite nicely, but will have alot of help in the backfield in the Knox brothers, and Howse. Dakota Crane seems to have the complete trust of Coach Wyant, but it will be interesting to see if SIegel's playcalling reflects that considering the loaded backfield Siegel will have.

Smyrna- Smyrna's here for a couple of reasons: 1.) Upcoming talent that is only going to get better over the course of the year. 2.) A very favorable schedule that doesnt get tough until late. 3.) Complete lack of faith in Riverdale's ability to build a program long- term. I think 6, even 7 wins is not out of the question for Smyrna, but the must hold serve in their non-district schedule to have a chance at that. The season opener against LaVergne and the next week against Cane Ridge will be very telling if Smyrna is to be taken seriously.

Riverdale- As previously stated, I have doubts that Riverdale can replenish their talent through their feeder schools. No DIllon Woodruff and lost all those great linemen (Glover,McCullough,Boykin, etc.). If Aydellot can get a 4th or even 3rd place finish out of this team, then I gladly eat my crow, but if doesnt look good for the Warriors at this point. They do have a great back in Mariko Odom that they can build around but still need alot more pieces to be competitive on both sides of the ball.

LaVergne- Like Smyrna, LaVergne can be a wild card in this district. The talent is there to make a run for at least 4th in this district but must be able to seal the deal when they have a chance in district play. Their win over Oakland last year was a step in the right direction, but their hurdle is as much mental as it is physical.

Stewarts Creek- I wonder if Coach Martin really knew what he was getting himself into. Not being able to practice in the spring will really hurt. Fortunately, the Wing-T should allow them to keep scores relatively close for a first year program in most games.

Hope you guys like my little preview, of course, it has a little bit of a Oakland slant, but would love to hear about the other teams in the district. Also looking for rosters or any kind of information I can use for the 7-AAA website I have (Which is linked below at my signature). Looking forward to a great season in 7-AAA

Great preview and insight. What were your thoughts of the Oakland scrimmage at Beech? As always 7AAA will be loaded with very good teams and talent. There will be some good match ups with 9AAA ( MJ vs Blackman and Beech vs Siegel )

1. Oakland

2. Blackman

3. Siegel

4. Smyrna

5. Riverdale

6. LaVergne

7. Stewarts Creek

OP...I agree with your summation except the "most athletic defense".....that '08 defense was a beast. I hope at the end of the season I will be able to agree with you but not from what I have seen this spring.

08 no doubt was a truly great defense, but it lacked the playmakers at LB that Oakland will have at its disposal this season. 08 was great because they had a defensive line of Darius Coffey, Tre Fletcher, Derek Barrett, Tim McAdoo and Murray ( First name escapes me). 08 beat you because they were just flat out stronger and tougher than you, this defense will be good because it can run you down no matter what part of the field you are on.

Its hard to judge Oakland just on spring ball because bewteen injuries and spring sports, Oakland has missed a big chunk of their skill players. Against Antioch, they started a kid at tailback that will probably be 5th or 6th on the depth chart, yet had no problems moving the football. Thats how good this offensive line will be under Coaches Snow and Oliver.

Great preview and insight. What were your thoughts of the Oakland scrimmage at Beech? As always 7AAA will be loaded with very good teams and talent. There will be some good match ups with 9AAA ( MJ vs Blackman and Beech vs Siegel )

There was talk for awhile when Oakland was having trouble finding games to try to make the scrimmages with Beech into a game, but that was ultimately nixed because the scrimmage with Beech is flat out just to important to drop. It helps Oakland get ready for the season because Beech is a good team year in and year out that isnt always blessed with superior athletes, but is tough as nails and will come after you all day long, I think Coaches McDaniel and Crabtree made the right decision by keep this 2 valuable scrimmages that help both teams get ready for the season.

As for the actual scrimmage, Oakland had their moments against Beech and they had some moments that werent that pretty as well. Jalen Hurd is going to get his yards no matter who he goes up against, but I felt like Oakland did a decent job against him. Offensively, had no problem moving the football but had way to many turnovers inside the 30, Oakland cannot afford to let that happen when the season begins.

I think a case can be made that 9AAA could be better than 7AAA this year. Beech, Mt. Juliet, Wilson Central are all going to be up there, Hendersonville will always be dangerous as long as Bruce Hatfield is at the helm, and Station Camp has the talent to be very dangerous. No doubt that the previous matchups you mentioned will be great matchups.

I do think on a whole the overall talent in 7AAA is getting better. For years, teams in 7AAA were great no matter the level of talent, but now we are starting to see some significant divison 1 talent spread all over the district. Oakland just by themselves will be visited by almost every major college football program the next 2 years. But Blackman also has 2 great players in their own right in Jennings and Antonio Allen. Should be fun to see how the district progresses.