Grundy County Football

curtislowe

I'm not interested in the main debate in this thread. But I struggle when people forget or ignore history. It has been said in this that we haven't and can't have a winning program. We're not relevant? During the Chris Pickett tenure as head coach when he and Ted Ladd made us winners here's our record...1988 - 5-4; 8-3; 7-4; 7-4; 7-4; 10-3; 6-5 and 1995 - 4-7 for a total of 54-34. We were winners. We won bowl games and we won playoff games. However Pic couldn't beat Colquette and Marion and that's what got him run off. That and the powers that be up here's first attempt at getting Colquette up here. But the bottom line is Chris Pickett had the most successful record in our history in his 8 years. We were good and he and Ted got the most out of the players they had year in and year out.

So debate all you want the current situation. But please don't walk on my friend's memory by not accurately describing history.

David Lowrie.

Edited by DelTavian

I'm not interested in the main debate in this thread. But I struggle when people forget or ignore history. It has been said in this that we haven't and can't have a winning program. We're not relevant? During the Chris Pickett tenure as head coach when he and Ted Ladd made us winners here's our record...1988 - 5-4; 8-3; 6-4; 7-4; 7-4; 10-3; 6-5 and 1995 - 4-7 for a total of 53-34. We were winners. We won bowl games and we won playoff games. However Pic couldn't beat Colquette and Marion and that's what got him run off. That and the powers that be up here's first attempt at getting Colquette up here. But the bottom line is Chris Pickett had the most successful record in our history in his 8 years. We were good and he and Ted got the most out of the players they had year in and year out.

So debate all you want the current situation. But please don't walk on my friend's memory by not accurately describing history.

David Lowrie.

Good point David. And if I'm correct, those guys were local coaches. These GC posters that say y'all have to go outside to get a quality coach are selling the folks in GC short. Like I said, current coaching staff may not e the answer, only the admin can answer that but y'all don't have to go outside to find someone.

If they get upset about a coach kicking a garbage can then you definitely don't need an intense coach on the mountain. It sounds like you need one that will caudle them and stroke their egos. It's unfortunate that the can hit a kid, but did he intentionally hit the kid is my question. I would imagine he is under quite a bit of stress trying to win games. Also, if he is concerned about what people "up and down the fence" think then he is fighting a losing battle and should leave.

I agree. Sounds like the parents want to call the shots, not the coach. They couldn't have handle a coach llike Rankin, Saterfeild, or Calin Short.....quetion, is Evans still coaching there as a Defensive cordinator. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

I'm not interested in the main debate in this thread. But I struggle when people forget or ignore history. It has been said in this that we haven't and can't have a winning program. We're not relevant? During the Chris Pickett tenure as head coach when he and Ted Ladd made us winners here's our record...1988 - 5-4; 8-3; 7-4; 7-4; 7-4; 10-3; 6-5 and 1995 - 4-7 for a total of 54-34. We were winners. We won bowl games and we won playoff games. However Pic couldn't beat Colquette and Marion and that's what got him run off. That and the powers that be up here's first attempt at getting Colquette up here. But the bottom line is Chris Pickett had the most successful record in our history in his 8 years. We were good and he and Ted got the most out of the players they had year in and year out.

David Lowrie.

Del,

I agree with you on this one!  Coach Pickett was successful.  He coached with passion and pride for Grundy County High, and got his players to buyin on their game plan.  I do miss those old Marion/Grundy rival games.

Need to correct my mistake..... 1989 - 8-3; 7-4; 7-4; 7-4; 10-3; 6-5, 4-7 and 1996 - 4-7 for a total of 53-37. There were 3 Walking Horse Bowl wins, 5 years in the playoffs with 2 wins in the playoffs in the 1993 season. Just to be accurate. The link on the other page with the results is wrong on the 1990 season. It was 7-4 with a win in the Walking Horse Bowl that year too.

Edited by DelTavian

And I bet back then a coach could still cuss, spit, yell, kick garbage cans, and snatch up some little cocky rooster tail of a teenage boy by his collar, make him into a man, and not git his 00's busted by a bunch of whiners.

Go YellerJackets !!!

This is just my opinion here so take it for what it's worth. Honestly, if we were winning football games say 4-0 or 3-1 and have had winning records the past 5 years there would probably nothing even been said. But fans and parents alike have not seen a change the past few seasons and nothings being done so are willing to jump at any opportunity to try and get a change. Because our system seems To be content with things. This day and time you can still cuss, get in someone's face and get there attention and even kick a garbage can but just keep your hands off and the cans away from hitting children. But in my opinion again coaches are suppose to be role models To these young men and women. But according to past post from outsiders GRUNDY hasn't ever had talent an will never have and no one in there right mind would want to come here and coach because we are whiners and there's nothing here. We even have people here saying that they are happy with things the way they are. So that tells me in my opinion again that no one wants to try and better there kids off and are suppose to set back an enjoy losing because our kids don't have talent and they never will. I'm beginning to believe that's the whole way of thinking here in GRUNDY. Sorry for the venting, but I just can't understand this way of thinking.

Beav.. I don't think anyone has said that y'all have ZERO talent. I think it has been said that GC folks may have a jaded impression of the level of talent. As for the statement about nothing to offer a coach from outside, I said that. And I stick by that statement because no one from GC has come on to offer any counter argument. Not a single one.