Ricky Bowers Ejected

BARTLETTHSGRAD04

I heard the guy who threw Ricky out was head of the committee to bring the NFL to Memphis and was just seeking revenge for losing out to Nashville years ago . Let's see how many crazy stories we can make up about this one ..trust me I was standing right there and it was an emotional game ... Ensworth was penalized for 205 yards ... That's more than any whitehaven team has ever been penalized ... Of course the coaches were upset ..the game had no rhythm at times because the whistle was blowing non stop

The rant continues Who left the doors unlocked and let the D1 crazies out today? You implied the refs were crooked. I guess I should have said "crooked' (in quotes) so the mentally challenged might understand the sarcasm.....

I'm pretty sure stupid, incompetent, biased, crooked (do I need to use quotes?) refs from Memphis called several other games Friday night. You should be able to fill up at least a page with your insights. Make sure you forward it all to Bernard.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

I heard the guy who threw Ricky out was head of the committee to bring the NFL to Memphis and was just seeking revenge for losing out to Nashville years ago . Let's see how many crazy stories we can make up about this one ..trust me I was standing right there and it was an emotional game ... Ensworth was penalized for 205 yards ... That's more than any whitehaven team has ever been penalized ... Of course the coaches were upset ..the game had no rhythm at times because the whistle was blowing non stop

Small note: It was 105 yards. Your point still stands -- it was a mess out there. BA, meanwhile, had 2 penalties for 20 yards.

Edited by WesVLT

Part of the problem is there is no recourse/punishment for officials that make a call that they shouldnt have made.  They can throw a coach out and all they have to do is make a statement that the coach never gets to see.  I have witnessed this happen in other sports as well.  Saw a coach thrown out of a state tournament game for asking a question.  Maybe the officials did have hard feelings for Ensworth, something we will never know.  But an official getting suspended for making a bad call is not the same as a coach getting suspended for the next game.  The entire team suffers.  If he deserved to be thrown out then fine but what it sounds like on here and in paper there was no clear reason to eject him, especially after the game was over.  TSSAA is such a joke, I agree with earlier post DII schools need to take their money and start a new governing body. 

Part of the problem is there is no recourse/punishment for officials that make a call that they shouldnt have made.  They can throw a coach out and all they have to do is make a statement that the coach never gets to see.  I have witnessed this happen in other sports as well.  Saw a coach thrown out of a state tournament game for asking a question.  Maybe the officials did have hard feelings for Ensworth, something we will never know.  But an official getting suspended for making a bad call is not the same as a coach getting suspended for the next game.  The entire team suffers.  If he deserved to be thrown out then fine but what it sounds like on here and in paper there was no clear reason to eject him, especially after the game was over.  TSSAA is such a joke, I agree with earlier post DII schools need to take their money and start a new governing body. 

I agree 100%. Start their own governing body and play only teams in every sport at every grade level that are members. Great idea.

Apparently someone is about to lay some big $$$ on the MUS vs Ensworth title game....I just picked this little tidbit up in a Vegas chat room..." The plan was to eject Bowers only if MUS won but the MUS vs MBA game was so crazy that I couldn't get the texts to the ref straight. One minute I was like ok MUS just took the lead with 5 mins to go so get ready to run him and then I was like, oh crap, MBA is driving down the field with less than a minute to go and an extra pt will win it! So, it was everything I could do to get the news off to our boys in nashville just in time. I'm just so thankful that the Brentwood player became an unwitting accomplice and gave our boys a good reason to toss him. Can you imagine the conspiracy theories that would erupt on the message boards in TN if our boy just tossed him for the heckuva of it?"

This whole thing is really fishy.  Ricky has been a head coach for what...almost 20 years?  I think he knows what he can and can't do with officials.  All these head coaches do.  Football and basketball.  If the refs had a problem with him during the game, they would have told him, and he would have changed his behavior accordingly....i.e., "knock it off, or we are going to penalize you."  I can't remember honestly ever hearing of a football coach getting thrown out of a game.  It's really, really rare for a 15 yard unsportsmanlike call to be made on a coach on the sideline.  At worst, sometimes, a losing coach will give the refs an earful after the game, jogging off the field.  Why bother if you won the game?   Why would RB care?

• Upvote 1

Cameron was suspended from all interscholastic sports for an entire school year '69-'70. It involved actions of students and fans at a basketball tournament game. I can't imagine that penalty being given now.

It was not 1969-70. Cameron was the boys state basketball champ in '70. They are still listed as such so it was not vacated. Perhaps it was 68-69?

I really think that Ensworth's beef with TSSAA will be that the clock had ticked down to 0 and the game was over.  How can you eject a coach from a game that was over.  I haven't went back and read the rules, but I would think that the referees power as far as in game penalties or ejections would end when that particular game was over.  What if a coach got into with a ref in the parking lot after a game, the ref could not eject him then.....I think the referees ejecting power left when the clock said 0:00....that is usually why the referees are the first ones off of the field as soon as a game ends, they make a beeline to get off of the field.  If he would have ejected him with time on the clock, I think the ejection would stand and Bowers and Wade miss the next game....but I think Ensworth has a legitimate complaint with the timing of it.

I heard the guy who threw Ricky out was head of the committee to bring the NFL to Memphis and was just seeking revenge for losing out to Nashville years ago .

Well that is a less nonsensical motivation for the lopsided calls than doing it to help MUS. The Owls didn't want EHS to lose and have to play BA again - a "pick your poison" scenario.

I really think that Ensworth's beef with TSSAA will be that the clock had ticked down to 0 and the game was over.  How can you eject a coach from a game that was over.  I haven't went back and read the rules, but I would think that the referees power as far as in game penalties or ejections would end when that particular game was over.  What if a coach got into with a ref in the parking lot after a game, the ref could not eject him then.....I think the referees ejecting power left when the clock said 0:00....that is usually why the referees are the first ones off of the field as soon as a game ends, they make a beeline to get off of the field.  If he would have ejected him with time on the clock, I think the ejection would stand and Bowers and Wade miss the next game....but I think Ensworth has a legitimate complaint with the timing of it.

Incorrect. The referees have jurisdiction over all proceedings until such time as both teams/coaches and others immediately involved in the contest have completely left the field/court where the contest was held. They actually have the say so as to when that has officially occurred also. The TSSAA has had to deal with this before. It is within his power as a referee to eject at any time until he has declared the contest officially over. Not saying it is right or wrong, just what the truth is.