It's Time to Separate the Public and Private Schools

@38320

we will never know but look at how many top ten teams Lewis Co beat last yr and also Lewis Co had an 8 point lead against CPA with less than 9 minutes to go in the game and CPA played Alcoa much, much closer than Upperman so I'd say Lewis Co would have won by a few TD's(Lewis Co beat #5 Fairview and #7 Westview)

Well said! However, Alcoa pretty much whipped CPA at the LOS all night. I heard Wall was telling the CPA d-line where #2 was gonna run, and he still picked up 8 yards ALL NIGHT!!!

Well said! However, Alcoa pretty much whipped CPA at the LOS all night. I heard Wall was telling the CPA d-line where #2 was gonna run, and he still picked up 8 yards ALL NIGHT!!!

Yea I was in Cookeville that night but the one thing I never could understand is why CPA never adjusted out of their base defense, when we played them the week before they never adjusted to anything we did which is probably why we had over 300 yard rushing that night. In my opinion if you can't stop the run with 7 men in the box then put 8 and also you need to adjust to an unbalanced line which they never did and always stayed with the base defense no matter what! ( just my opinion) Edited by alltime

Upper it's not a mute point when you say call out a man's integrity by saying that he did something illegal which coach Mac didn't do. It's fine for you to be judge and jury but not to prosecute. Anyhow you obviously have not read my posts. The tssaa has already addressed your issue about getting kids from a large area and that is called the multiplier. Private schools yes draw from a greater area so they play with bigger schools that draw from a greater area and have more students and more athletes. Your ensworth trousdale example is flawed. They will never play the tssaa has classifications for this and ensworth is in d2. Could you give me an example of an unfair existing match up of private and public. Trousdale did fine vs good pasture this year. East Nashville beat lipscomb. Milan beat CPA last I checked all closed zone and private schools. Alcoa beat cak. So I don't see your argument.

Also if they did split what would happen to open zone schools that on paper have an even greater advantage than private.

If privates did play in their own zone then people would complain about bigger schools beating the smaller schools. Always will be something to complain about. I would love to hear some of your answers or responses but I guess my statements are probably mute points

I have a question. Why do many supporters of private schools object so strongly to a split.

IMO a split just eliminates many if the concerns many folks have concerning the recruitment of athletes not students by private schools. Inparticulay urban youth who in many cases are not financially able to afford tuition but are somehow coming up with funds to go to private schools. I strongly feel two divisions public and private eliminates the concerns of an uneven playing field. Back to my original question. Why do privates so strongly object to the split?

I have a question. Why do many supporters of private schools object so strongly to a split.

IMO a split just eliminates many if the concerns many folks have concerning the recruitment of athletes not students by private schools. Inparticulay urban youth who in many cases are not financially able to afford tuition but are somehow coming up with funds to go to private schools. I strongly feel two divisions public and private eliminates the concerns of an uneven playing field. Back to my original question. Why do privates so strongly object to the split?

Folks will always have complaints. I'm waiting on someone to complain about athletes being too fast. Therefore, petitioning the TSSAA to require those athletes to wear ankle weights. The faster the athlete, the heavier the weight! That most likely would create a level playing field! Lol!!

we will never know but look at how many top ten teams Lewis Co beat last yr and also Lewis Co had an 8 point lead against CPA with less than 9 minutes to go in the game and CPA played Alcoa much, much closer than Upperman so I'd say Lewis Co would have won by a few TD's(Lewis Co beat #5 Fairview and #7 Westview)

yes I think lewis would win by 7-14 points.

split will happen weather me or anyones else likes it. And I for one will like it. Some may, some may not like it. And as far as saying all private schools recruit on some level, I stand by that. No one woukd attend a particular private school if they didn't adversise and push there school and programs they offer. I live in Overton Co. Home of the LA wildcates. You live in the county, you go to school here. If you don't, you can't. If your willing to sell your home and move here, then you can play here. LA cant "adverstise" to Cookeville and Crossville and pull kids from there. They simply play qith what they got. Big diffrence than the non schoolarship private schools and pay to attend opened zone schools. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

Red black 63 and upper man, I will respond to your question and since upper wont respond to my post towards him I will include him in this. First to upper. Do you think public schools don't push their schools to the general public? Williamson county schools are some of the best academically in the state and country. They put it on their website and in the paper and in mailings and at the chamber of commerce and materials you can pick up at the school. Metro schools do the same thing so I don't see how this is a private only thing to make your school attractive for people to join. Upper I bet your community/school don't put barb wire up and try to get people to not enter no you sale the strong points of your great community. Also upper why do close zoned rural schools like trousdale Milan Huntington win?

Red honestly the reason the private schools are opposed is the ones in d1 do not want to be a financial aid athletic school. They are playing by the rules and if a student wants to come there and pay the that is their choice. They feel it is a level playing field with the multiplier is having schools with smaller enrollment play bigger schools with more students and athletes since they draw from a bigger zone. I think it has been very effective. I like dealing with facts and would one of you please answer this question. What d1 private school is winning at a high level to wear it is unfair and they do not need to play with the public schools please provide concrete examples. Red at lipscomb you dont see any urban kids attending so not sure where you got that.

Gambler you have already answered ur own question by admitting that your school KC has been giving aid. That is illegal!!!! That is why we need a split. Private schools can't be trusted and TSSAA is not big enough to govern them. Do you really believe that CPA got 2-3 of the top bball players in nation and 2 SEC football players because of their academic program. Come on now.. Get a clue!!! And I agree with the Open Zone crap too. Neither Alcoa or Maryville can claim to have won a championship with only players from their own communities.

My school is not kc never lived in Knoxville or knew anyone that went there. Also I believe they chose CPA because that is where they wanted to go. Just like many other athletes across the statethey wanted to go to a good basketball program. Those kids far,alies are paying their own way so what's the problem? I like open zoning competition makes everyone better. Schools shouldn't be punished for their success.

My school is not kc never lived in Knoxville or knew anyone that went there. Also I believe they chose CPA because that is where they wanted to go. Just like many other athletes across the statethey wanted to go to a good basketball program. Those kids far,alies are paying their own way so what's the problem? I like open zoning competition makes everyone better. Schools shouldn't be punished for their success.

Privates need to play privates and TSSAA needs to let every school be an open zone then it would be a a level playing field! LOL

Red black 63 and upper man, I will respond to your question and since upper wont respond to my post towards him I will include him in this. First to upper. Do you think public schools don't push their schools to the general public? Williamson county schools are some of the best academically in the state and country. They put it on their website and in the paper and in mailings and at the chamber of commerce and materials you can pick up at the school. Metro schools do the same thing so I don't see how this is a private only thing to make your school attractive for people to join. Upper I bet your community/school don't put barb wire up and try to get people to not enter no you sale the strong points of your great community. Also upper why do close zoned rural schools like trousdale Milan Huntington win?

Red honestly the reason the private schools are opposed is the ones in d1 do not want to be a financial aid athletic school. They are playing by the rules and if a student wants to come there and pay the that is their choice. They feel it is a level playing field with the multiplier is having schools with smaller enrollment play bigger schools with more students and athletes since they draw from a bigger zone. I think it has been very effective. I like dealing with facts and would one of you please answer this question. What d1 private school is winning at a high level to wear it is unfair and they do not need to play with the public schools please provide concrete examples. Red at lipscomb you dont see any urban kids attending so not sure where you got that.

So it a word some privates object to a spilt due to finances. Agree publics as well as privates promote their schools. Not familiar with all private schools but there is one in Knoxville that is targeting urban student athletes and I just find it difficult to believe someone with a family income less than the $10,000 yearly tuition can afford to pay without financial aide. I guess a few private schools are giving all a black eye.