Sevier County Smoky Bears 2014

gobears89

I wouldn't judge WB's coach off of a spring scrimmage with a private school that is loaded with talent and has great coaches. In all likelihood Catholic will win the 4A state Championship. If you are going to Judge his coaching ability point at the Lenoir City loss last year where he made some very interesting Personnel decisions that cost us the game. There was no excuse for that.. We had no business losing to them.

Gov what I saw Thursday was organization playing total disorganization. Both teams have a second year coach and one of those coaches has a school with 1,500 to pick out of and the other has a school of 600 to pick from and both of those coaches came into just about the same situation. I really think making the transition from Greenback to William Blount and the different type competition could be over this young man's head and I hope I am wrong. I have personally watched in my lifetime Cliff Irwin win big at Lanier and go to Everett and fall on his face. I also watched Jack Renfro win championships at Walland and only have two decent teams at Heritage just because the jump was to big. I knew replacing the Otis kid would be a chore but I saw no one at all that can even come close. In my opinion either you have it or you don't and there was no excuse for that much disorganization.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the chicken sandwich guy thinks that the Bears who averaged about 50 points per last year should hire a guy who runs the wing t? Thanks but no thanks.

GoBears!!

The chicken sandwich guy don't think he knows. Meadows is the only coach to ever go to William Blount and walk in and win. He also won the first championship at Alcoa in twelve years and it's been almost unstoppable since. He fell into a school that he has very little to pick from but at Sevier County he would.  It would almost be like Tennessee Basketball letting Bruce Pearl get out of town. the right coach right under your nose and to stupid to get him.

Gov what I saw Thursday was organization playing total disorganization. Both teams have a second year coach and one of those coaches has a school with 1,500 to pick out of and the other has a school of 600 to pick from and both of those coaches came into just about the same situation. I really think making the transition from Greenback to William Blount and the different type competition could be over this young man's head and I hope I am wrong. I have personally watched in my lifetime Cliff Irwin win big at Lanier and go to Everett and fall on his face. I also watched Jack Renfro win championships at Walland and only have two decent teams at Heritage just because the jump was to big. I knew replacing the Otis kid would be a chore but I saw no one at all that can even come close. In my opinion either you have it or you don't and there was no excuse for that much disorganization.

William Blount actually has over 1,800 kids now. I still say you cant read that much into a spring scrimmage. Almost everyone is sloppy in the spring. It should be no surprise that Catholic is further along then us. They returned most of their starters from a team that almost upset fulton in the Semis, what happened was to be expected. Now WB's coaches have an idea of what the players need to be working on between now and August. And about Otis.. This team can be better then it was last year without him. We have pretty good QBs and a stable of solid to good Wideouts. We will just be a more pass oriented team this time around.

But I have to agree with Barney on Meadows. He could take Sevier County to the next level. Personally I dont want to see him go there because I want him back here at WB. Buf he is a great coach. In fact I heard Meadows came to WB and asked for the job back and the AD wouldnt give him the job. If that is true Our AD is a fool.

Can't understand why he would want to leave the school he played for but I went to a scrimmage between them and Catholic Thursday and the Irish turned them everywhere but lose. Don't want to go there for sure. The man for the job is Scott Meadows and it would be a major mistake for Sevier County not to be on his doorstep right now. Scott would take them to another level. When he was at Catholic they were playing in a league above their heads. If Sevier goes another direction then someone there needs their head examined.

Barney, I would have to concur about Scott being a good pick up.....whether you like him as a man or not, the man is a good football coach.  Anybody that can win at WB should be able to go to a SC and do really good things.

So the chicken sandwich guy thinks that the Bears who averaged about 50 points per last year should hire a guy who runs the wing t? Thanks but no thanks.

GoBears!!

The guy is a good football coach, and a good coach will run what best fits his personnel.  Scott is not a WingT coach in the sense that that is the only offense he runs or knows.  With the personnel Scott had at PF last year, he felt that gave them the best chance to win games.....and he won more games than anybody else has at PF in his first year.  Given the personnel of a SCHS, Scott has the ability to run a fast pace, spread, offense, and that is probably what he would run.

The chicken sandwich guy don't think he knows. Meadows is the only coach to ever go to William Blount and walk in and win. He also won the first championship at Alcoa in twelve years and it's been almost unstoppable since. He fell into a school that he has very little to pick from but at Sevier County he would.  It would almost be like Tennessee Basketball letting Bruce Pearl get out of town. the right coach right under your nose and to stupid to get him.

Barney nose footbawl coaches, chickin' sammiches and peenutt butter and jellie sammiches..... :hungry:

I personally know Scott and his wife and know some of the things they have had to deal with and why some of the moves he made and why.  Some may call him a traveling man as a joke but the Scott I know is a very good person. I can tell you as a Maryville fan he would be the one coach that would have the Rebels on edge no matter where he went. If Sevier County goes outside it's coaching staff to hire someone to succeed Brewer without considering Meadows I would have to say they cut their nose off to spite their face just as the one in charge at William Blount did.

William Blount actually has over 1,800 kids now. I still say you cant read that much into a spring scrimmage. Almost everyone is sloppy in the spring. It should be no surprise that Catholic is further along then us. They returned most of their starters from a team that almost upset fulton in the Semis, what happened was to be expected. Now WB's coaches have an idea of what the players need to be working on between now and August. And about Otis.. This team can be better then it was last year without him. We have pretty good QBs and a stable of solid to good Wideouts. We will just be a more pass oriented team this time around.

I hate to admit it Gov91, but Barney was there as was I....as bad as I hate to admit it, his observations have been pretty much spot on.  Am I ready to call this season a failure and move on?  No, I am not....but we have to get better in all phases of the game, we just are not close at this point.  They had better get back to the basic fundamentals of football, you have to have that down before you can out scheme anybody.  And when some of your supposedly Senior leaders are arguing with the coach and slinging their helmets into the fence, it causes everyone watching to start wondering.....and add on to that those same seniors walking up to referees and asking "when is this going to be over", or "how long is this going to last"......until those issues are worked out, we are in trouble, regardless of how well a coach may know X's and O's.  I have been holding that back since Thursday and I will probably get some heat for saying it, but it is just the truth......and a whole lot of people have seen and are talking about it.