Sevier County Smoky Bears 2014

gobears89

Really surprised that long time offensive coordinator Tony Linginfelter is not getting a mention as a possible replacement. Maybe he just likes being in the background? Meadows would be a really good hire but he scares me with his nomadic coaching history. Jonathan Brewer may turn out to be a good head coach but as a young coach he is obviously a much bigger gamble.

Tony has got to be a possibility.

GB

Edited by gobears89

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really surprised that long time offensive coordinator Tony Linginfelter is not getting a mention as a possible replacement. Maybe he just likes being in the background? Meadows would be a really good hire but he scares me with his nomadic coaching history. Jonathan Brewer may turn out to be a good head coach but as a young coach he is obviously a much bigger gamble.

Coach Linginfelter is a great guy and a great coach. Sevier is a top notch program and I hope he gets a shot at the head job. Good luck to you guys this fall!

Tony is a good guy, and I believe he is a good ole Greenback boy, isn't he?

Your whole team and fans are at a turning point and your not sure if this is going to be good or bad. You hate letting go of a guy that has been so responsible in building a top notch organization but people do move on and that time has came unexpectedly. Back in 1999 when Hammontree left Maryville and they decided to stay in house and give it to a young assistant no one knew at that time what was to come. All you can do is hope the right decisions will be made and hopefully someone comes along and takes the solid foundation Steve Brewer has built and take it to another level.

I may lose my mind if this goes on very long!!!!!!! I cant figure  out why if it is going to be a guy already there why they have not just named him for the players and fans sake. It seems like they may really be looking at outsiders. Coach Brewer has been hands off for awhile in terms of play calling etc. & the staff they have can still put up 50 points a night. Hopefully they go with a defensive guy and leave the offense in place if they do indeed go outside. They defense is not established yet so less to change it was going to be a new start either way. The offense is a machine that all the peices are still in place it just make no since to me to touch what they do on that side of the ball. 

GoBears!!  :bored: 

From todays local paper....   Hiring a new coach an 'awesome responsibility'

May. 21, 2014 @ 10:32 AM

Christopher James

SEVIERVILLE —

Sevier County principal Toby Ward says hiring his school’s next football coach is an “awesome responsibility.â€

The toughest part may be just realizing that someone like former coach Steve Brewer can’t be replaced.

“I’ve got to accept that it’s going be a change no matter who we get,†Ward said. “It’s whoever’s program that takes over. I have to settle myself into change. Hopefully the community will understand I’ll try to hire the best coach I can, that’s what I’m after. (But) no matter what we do, it’s going to be a change.â€

Ward is heading the Smoky Bears first search for a head football coach in 22 years after Brewer resigned Monday to take a position at First Baptist Church in Sevierville. He said assistant principals Kevin Hurst and Stephanie Huskey will assist in the vetting process with Director of Schools Jack A. Parton also expected to be consulted. Ward has already received 13 applications in the first two days of the search, with several other coaches inquiring about the job by phone.

Ward said he plans to continue to accept applications over the next two weeks before moving to narrow the field at the beginning of June. The interview process will be dictated by applicants’ schedules from there.

Ward is a former football coach who worked under Brewer at Sevier County, including in 1999 when the Bears won the class 5A state championship. That football knowledge means each interview will include some talk of Xs and Os. High on the priority list will be a coach who can make a long-term commitment to Sevier County. The Bears have had just two head coaches since 1986, including Brewer’s 22-year tenure.

“We want to know the person,†Ward said. “You’d like to have another long-term commitment as we had in this case. ...  It’s hiring a (good) football coach but still trying to hire somebody you think will stay. Who can I find that will be a long-term commitment? That’s maybe one of the questions I’m going to ask.â€

The next coach will face high expectations taking over a team that is 50-10 the last five years. Ward said those best suited to handling those expectations will be candidates with previous head coaching experience, even if it’s in another sport. The ability to lead a large group of students and staff is something the principal said he’d look for.

The Bears also would like to keep their current crop of coaches together. Ward said the team’s recent performance shows those assistants can play a role in the future under a new head coach.

“We’ve got a great bunch of assistants,†Ward said. “You don’t want to lose any of those. They’ve proven what they can do by what the kids have done.â€