Sevier County Smoky Bears 2014

gobears89

Im going to go on record and say that the school superintendent in Sevier County is maybe the worst sports guy in the state. Everything that the Bears have been able to do have been in spite of that guy. He is a GP guy so it will be fitting to see him give that job to the Hammonds son it will end up in the situation that pigeon forge was in. Hammonds SR is a good coach his son not so much. :popcorneater:

GB

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry sdot these bears are going to be very good it wouldn't matter if my grandma was coaching them.

GoBears!!

I think they will hire a capable coach....he will have some awful big shoes to fill....but I think they will get a good coach.  The more pressing issue to me would be the defectors (or rumors of defectors).  Losing several good "Jimmies and Joes" would hurt nearly all programs.

U hit the nail in the head. Our superintendent does not support smoky bear athletics. He is gp all the way and tries to hold sevierville back. I've heard Maryville's linebacker coach is getting serious consideration. Because schs has so many good assistants, im afraid some will leave if we stay in house and the coaches passed over will look elsewhere. I hope you are right in us being loaded, I've heard of several transferring or quitting football

U hit the nail in the head. Our superintendent does not support smoky bear athletics. He is gp all the way and tries to hold sevierville back. I've heard Maryville's linebacker coach is getting serious consideration. Because schs has so many good assistants, im afraid some will leave if we stay in house and the coaches passed over will look elsewhere. I hope you are right in us being loaded, I've heard of several transferring or quitting football

Maryville's LB coach?  Wow.....I am assuming that would be Upton....and if he coaches at MHS he has to be pretty good, but, IMO SCHS is one of the top ten jobs in the state right now and  I couldn't see them turning that over to someone with no head coaching experience or even coordinator experience....maybe Coach Upton has more experience that I don't know about.  It has already been discussed on this thread, but if they are not going to hire within, the best hire would be right under their noses at PFHS in Scott Meadows.

Jake, you are right. Im sure sevier county has many good candidates to consider. The "defectors" is what really concerns me. 

They need to work diligently to find the right guy, but it sounds like they need to do this ASAP.  I am sure some kids and parents had the wind taken out of their sails when they heard of Coach Brewer leaving, and now that they face uncertainty of who will be the coach, they are exploring their options.  Oh well, hope you guys are able to hang on to your players and get the right coach for the program.

He is one of many being considered, but he is at the top of the list. Meadows has been looked at strongly too, but the knock in him is he doesn't stick around. Fair or unfair, that's the perception. Sox, they're taking their time and trying to make the right long term decision. But im afraid you're right, if they wait too long it could really hurt this year

He is one of many being considered, but he is at the top of the list. Meadows has been looked at strongly too, but the knock in him is he doesn't stick around. Fair or unfair, that's the perception. Sox, they're taking their time and trying to make the right long term decision. But im afraid you're right, if they wait too long it could really hurt this year

IMO the best way is to promote one of your assistants on a interim basis. If they prove capable as a head coach, remove the interim title. If not, then Sevier County can take all the time they need to get the right coach for the long haul. Their options are going to be extremely limited at this point, whereas at the end of the 2014 season, they can take a chance at hiring whoever they want. I understand what Coach Brewer means to SCHS and you cannot argue with his intentions in moving on, but his departure with it almost being June now puts Sevier County in a tough position

Mid, you are right about it putting schs in a bad spot with being so close to football season. A December departure would have been much better. And I like your interim idea. I hope the administration has considered it, may be the best option at this point

David Lipscomb did the same thing after the passing of Glenn McAdams. Promoted from within, won 8 games the following season and removed the interim title from the coach. From what I have been reading, Brewer has been more of a CEO type the last few years, so I cant imagine that Sevier Co. would lose much momentum from promoting an assistant in the short term

About Meadows:  he has been very nomadic, the people that know him on a personal basis will tell you that there were some explanations behind most of the moving....and most that I have talked to that know him on a personal basis have expressed that he is a good man.  I could see the job at SCHS as being a place that he would probably stick around for a while.  I used to be one that knocked him for all of the moving he did, but a good friend of mine is a good friend of their whole family, and he told me a lot of things that made me look at things a little differently.  But, whether you like him or don't like him, the man is a good football coach, and has proved it everywhere he has been.