1A & 2A AP Polls

TheAmbassador

Overall it is a fact. 1A is weaker overall than the past 40 years. When we split into 6 classes it got very weak year in and year out except for 6-7 teams. You don't have that anymore. NCS is a good team and Union City is outstanding. Outside of those two teams? You have a bunch of average and below average teams.

if it wasn't for that split how many times would sp made it to the big dance

The east being weak don't make 1a as a whole weak. I'm getting off this thread, I don't know why I let myself get caught up in these worthless polls, they mean nothing.

1A as a whole is weak. Take a straw poll and most of the old timers like me will tell you the same thing. Outside of Union City and Nashville Christian please tell me one more really good 1A team.

Exactly. If you think you're going to get a rise out of me by asking that you're not. In the old 5 class system it would have come down to SP Gordonsville and Trousdale every year for the chance to represent the east. The all time series with SP and Trousdale is 3-3. SP went in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2013. So I would have bet on only making it twice out of those years.

1994, 1999 and 2007 for sure.  Ask TC and McKenzie. 2009 and 2010, maybe.  2010 was the year a 3a/4a Signal was in the mix. 2009 would have had TC, Boyd, UC and SP in the Mix. 2008 was a tight loss at TC and end to a 26 game winning streak.

Edited by rlh

Its not like we have 5 or 6 powerhouse teams every year,it don't even take a powerhouse to win it in certain years.SP had a powerhouse in 2007 and it took one to win it,they had some fairly stiff comp that year. Trousdale had a monster in 2005,they were never challenged. This years UC team may fit the bill also.

1994, 1999 and 2007 for sure.  Ask TC and McKenzie. 2009 and 2010, maybe.  2010 was the year a 3a/4a Signal was in the mix. 2009 would have had TC, Boyd, UC and SP in the Mix. 2008 was a tight loss at TC and end to a 26 game winning streak.

McKenzie knows too well how good SP was that year.  I have seen many a good football teams over the years and that SP team for sure is one of them. This year Union City's team is right there with them.  They can hit you from all angles with multiple backs.  The offensive line averages 270 plus and is agile!  The center for UC goes about 300 and can move!  I will get blasted for this but I am here to tell you over here in the West, UC could play with Henry County, Liberty and Crockett County. Those seem to be the big guns over here this year. 

McKenzie knows too well how good SP was that year. I have seen many a good football teams over the years and that SP team for sure is one of them. This year Union City's team is right there with them. They can hit you from all angles with multiple backs. The offensive line averages 270 plus and is agile! The center for UC goes about 300 and can move! I will get blasted for this but I am here to tell you over here in the West, UC could play with Henry County, Liberty and Crockett County. Those seem to be the big guns over here this year.

I don't know why anyone would blast you. Anybody with a brain knows UC is one of the two best(if not the best) teams in West Tn outside of Memphis.i think UC and Crockett are two best teams with Liberty, TCA and Jackson Northside in top 5.

NCS needs to get sent East, disservice to have them and UC play on the same side of the bracket.

SP & TC, SP & Gordy busted head numerous times over the years to make it out of the East.  Gordy won the title handily in 2012.  Yet SP was going for the win on a 2 pt try with seconds on the clock AT Gordonsville (They beat FCS in the regular season and was the 2a Champ in 2012 & 2011). 

Edited by rlh

SP & TC, SP & Gordy busted head numerous times over the years to make it out of the East.  Gordy won the title handily in 2012.  Yet SP was going for the win on a 2 pt try with seconds on the clock AT Gordonsville (They beat FCS in the regular season and was the 2a Champ in 2012 & 2011). 

The brackets will be "what they will be" this year.  Anyone that loses to UC can brag that if they were in the East they would have been in the championship game - even though that's probably not true.  And in the next 6-7 weeks, there will most likely be a team in the East put it together and become a worthy Cookeville-caliber team.

SP & TC, SP & Gordy busted head numerous times over the years to make it out of the East. Gordy won the title handily in 2012. Yet SP was going for the win on a 2 pt try with seconds on the clock AT Gordonsville (They beat FCS in the regular season and was the 2a Champ in 2012 & 2011).

They didn't win in Cookeville easily. They had to onside kick Huntingdon at the end. Gordy, SP and Huntingdon were all about the same in 2012. Gordonsville found a way to win two nail biters so they took home the gold. Edited by TheAmbassador