Goodpasture Football 2014

Rainwater

I think Goodpasture fans need to step back and look at the situation Mote inherited.  Obviously in Martin's last year the team had a terrible year and many of the individuals who played or got suspended didn't return.  Moreover as this board llustrated the last few years of Martin's tenure were not rosy off the field.  Also Mote had a major staff shake up leading to instability in the program.  Moreover the last two years goodpastures talent is noticeably down from their better years.  Combine all those factors and boom you see a great deal for the lack of success.  Bottom line mote walked into a bad situation.  Now was he the guy to pilot through the trouble waters obviously not but from things on this board and words coming out of due west admin issues and internal issues abound.  For what its worth and I am not an expert on the situation currently they should probably hire and keep Andy McWilliams as head coach.  He knows the community and kids and obviously is a respected hold over on the staff.  Right now Goodpasture needs stability and a LEADER as much as a football guru. The GP program is in rebuilding mode and they will not return over night to wear they were or have been.  Sadly this happens to most coaches who follow a highly successful coach on the field who left the program in turmoil.  Things should be better for the next guy if history holds true. 

As for Chris Hill at Wynne?  He has had more jobs than any other coach around.  IF you google around you see he hasn't been at a school for more than 3 years ever.  Also Wyyne football from googling has a great football tradition and had a few down years.  They had a legendary coach I read about that ran the single wing.  Nobody wants a journeyman coach with a lack of commitment. 

Good point any coach looking should look carefully. If they are willing to put a high school coach out for not winning with three games left they not loyal to anyone. It's not like NCAA or Pro jobs where they fire a guy half way through but he walks away with millions, this guy has nothing. Not like any coach can salvage the season at this point, let the guy finish and go from there. Some pretty good post on here about talent down, coaching changes, etc. Not sure he was right guy but not sure Anyone would have been in those circumstances. Mote is a good guy just not sure how great of head coach. Would love to see the cougars competitive again. Good luck in search and will be interesting to see what names and if any big names surface.

I think Goodpasture fans need to step back and look at the situation Mote inherited.  Obviously in Martin's last year the team had a terrible year and many of the individuals who played or got suspended didn't return.  Moreover as this board llustrated the last few years of Martin's tenure were not rosy off the field.  Also Mote had a major staff shake up leading to instability in the program.  Moreover the last two years goodpastures talent is noticeably down from their better years.  Combine all those factors and boom you see a great deal for the lack of success.  Bottom line mote walked into a bad situation.  Now was he the guy to pilot through the trouble waters obviously not but from things on this board and words coming out of due west admin issues and internal issues abound.  For what its worth and I am not an expert on the situation currently they should probably hire and keep Andy McWilliams as head coach.  He knows the community and kids and obviously is a respected hold over on the staff.  Right now Goodpasture needs stability and a LEADER as much as a football guru. The GP program is in rebuilding mode and they will not return over night to wear they were or have been.  Sadly this happens to most coaches who follow a highly successful coach on the field who left the program in turmoil.  Things should be better for the next guy if history holds true. 

As for Chris Hill at Wynne?  He has had more jobs than any other coach around.  IF you google around you see he hasn't been at a school for more than 3 years ever.  Also Wyyne football from googling has a great football tradition and had a few down years.  They had a legendary coach I read about that ran the single wing.  Nobody wants a journeyman coach with a lack of commitment. 

As you are talking about Wynne sounds a lot like a school that this post is all about. Go look at how many different schools he has taken to the playoffs every year too. Yeah that's the way I would go about it. Let's not take a great coach that wins at every school he has been at, and continues to take over jobs that are known for mediocrity and turns them into winners because he might eventually leave. Let's take a mediocre coach with a losing record and continue to sink Goodpasture's football program even further than what is has already sunk because he won't leave until you fire him. Whether he stays forever or not I don't know but I do know he will change the mentality of that program in a hurry, and get them back to playing football. I also know he was very interested in the job and I am sure he still is. Maybe the Church of Christ guy wants to coach football and be part of a Church of Christ school.

Edited by BigFan11

Terrible precedent to set firing a HS coach with 3 games left. I mean what is there to gain other than to make an already poor looking administration to prospective candidates look even worse...

I support this move. When you have Junior High and Freshman players considering other options then the leadership has to make a move. In order for Goodpasture to rebuild then they have to keep the players already enrolled at the school. If they can not keep current players then this current situation will keep snowballing.