GREENBACK FOOTBALL

cherokean

GB moved the ball well against Alcoa in jamboree tonight! lost 14-0, but controversial call made at end of qtr.of play - GB scored but player was said to down knee before crossing plane - some ole football diehards positioned on the sidelines said the Greenback player scored and the camera man has it on film - but, anyway GB looked good on both sides of the ball - need to work on pass defense for sure!

GB's last drive was against Alcoa's 2's and 3's. Was a good looking drive tho!

• 3 months later...

What can you say...what a year!!!...Who would have seen us playing for another Championship at the start of the season, especially with the situation just before the season began. I never seen this coming...heck, I was glad to see us finally get over that Quarterfinal hump after 20+ years. And after seeing so many past teams that, I thought, were capable of making it to the State game; then to not do so...guess ones self grows content with 1987 being that one and only time...until now.

So, with that said...I want to say Congratulations to the players and coaches of this 2015 team. There is not many schools across Tennessee that can say their football program has participated in one, let alone two Championship games over the years.

Coaches...Thank you for your time and hard work, especially that smooth and seamless transition that occurred just before the start of the season, for the players...Again, Thank You.

Seniors...I know it wasn't the way you wanted your last game on the gridiron as a Cherokee to go, but your just the second group of Seniors to have that last game, be the game that every player strives for at the beginning of the season. Good luck in all your future endeavors and always keep GOD first in all you do.

Underclassmen...I know come Fall your going to have a possible return trip to State on your minds. It won't be easy, but each and everyone of you now knows what it takes to get there. It can be done, if you work hard and take it one day/game at a time

This coming Fall will mark Greenback's 60th season on the gridiron. During this time the program has seen an overall record of 344-294-10, 34 winning seasons, 24 playoff appearances, several district/region titles, a State Championship and now add a State Runner-Up finish to the list. The biggest part of this success has occurred over the latter half of the program history, from the start of the Satterfield era...not many schools, no matter the size, have had such success. So, who's ready for the 2016 season to get here?...I know I am...it could be another dandy.

Edited by cherokean

What can you say...what a year!!!...Who would have seen us playing for another Championship at the start of the season, especially with the situation just before the season began. I never seen this coming...heck, I was glad to see us finally get over that Quarterfinal hump after 20+ years. And after seeing so many past teams that, I thought, were capable of making it to the State game; then to not do so...guess ones self grows content with 1987 being that one and only time...until now.

So, with that said...I want to say Congratulations to the players and coaches of this 2015 team. There is not many schools across Tennessee that can say their football program has participated in one, let alone two Championship games over the years.

Coaches...Thank you for your time and hard work, especially that smooth and seamless transition that occurred just before the start of the season, for the players...Again, Thank You.

Seniors...I know it wasn't the way you wanted your last game on the gridiron as a Cherokee to go, but your just the second group of Seniors to have that last game, be the game that every player strives for at the beginning of the season. Good luck in all your future endeavors and always keep GOD first in all you do.

Underclassmen...I know come Fall your going to have a possible return trip to State on your minds. It won't be easy, but each and everyone of you now knows what it takes to get there. It can be done, if you work hard and take it one day/game at a time

This coming Fall will mark Greenback's 60th season on the gridiron. During this time the program has seen an overall record of 344-294-10, 34 winning seasons, 24 playoff appearances, several district/region titles, a State Championship and now add a State Runner-Up finish to the list. The biggest part of this success has occurred over the latter half of the program history, from the start of the Satterfield era...not many schools, no matter the size, have had such success. So, who's ready for the 2016 season to get here?...I know I am...it could be another dandy.

Just for the fun of it Cherokean,what is the record prior to 85 and after.I know when Satterfield took over it was like a light switch had came on.You had said we had one playoff appearance before 85 (which I was unaware of) and after 85 it was a terrible season if we didn't make it.Just curious.Thx.Great post by the way!!

What can you say...what a year!!!...Who would have seen us playing for another Championship at the start of the season, especially with the situation just before the season began. I never seen this coming...heck, I was glad to see us finally get over that Quarterfinal hump after 20+ years. And after seeing so many past teams that, I thought, were capable of making it to the State game; then to not do so...guess ones self grows content with 1987 being that one and only time...until now.

Coaches...Thank you for your time and hard work, especially that smooth and seamless transition that occurred just before the start of the season, for the players...Again, Thank You.

This coming Fall will mark Greenback's 60th season on the gridiron. During this time the program has seen an overall record of 344-294-10, 34 winning seasons, 24 playoff appearances, several district/region titles, a State Championship and now add a State Runner-Up finish to the list. The biggest part of this success has occurred over the latter half of the program history, from the start of the Satterfield era...not many schools, no matter the size, have had such success. So, who's ready for the 2016 season to get here?...I know I am...it could be another dandy.

Great post.

I had pretty low expectations for the season this year, mostly due to the chaos in the head coaching position and the shaky start. I started believing about mid season that this team could be the real deal and go far. It was a lot of fun watching the team pull together and build momentum then pretty much exceed everyone's expectations by making it to the championship game. Any and all coaching awards for 2015 1a high school football should be directed towards Greenbacks co head coaches. I really don't think anyone in any division did a better job coaching in TN than these two along with their assistants and I sure hope this staff gets recognized.

With the 3rd round monkey finally off their backs I see a bright future for Greenback football and would not be surprised to see them playing again week 15 in the coming years.

Greenback is really in a prime spot to be really good. They have a new school and new field house. They are right there where they can get some of those good Blount County boys from a few other schools to go with the guys their community already produces. It could put them over the hump.

It doesn't hurt that their principal is a good recruiter too.