Riverdale throwing game

ecu

My comments are already on this board. I think what took place in the game between Riverdale and Smyrna was disgraceful. However, the more this board becomes about bashing everything Riverdale, the more people will be turned off to the central issue at hand., namely the game Saturday afternoon.

Let's not let Smyrna off the hook either because we had two teams trying to lose. And there is really nothing the TSSAA  can do but change the format. This is not about just Riverdale but all coaches who would do this. There are more out there who would do this than you would think.

The "fix" is to make it where top 2 teams come out of the district like in the old days...no more than 3 like what was suggested. 4 teams are way too many anyways.  This makes it where no one has to worry if coaches use strategy on seeding.  Send the best teams. The mentality of sending 4 teams out of each district is beyond me and makes it to where too many teams can say they made it to Regionals and wear a patch on their letterjacket.  This dates back to the days of including everyone in the educational system and "everyone gets a prize".  It needs to go.  The "system" (TSSAA) set up the ability to strategize, not the coaches.  Remember back in the day to where the top two teams in the District (I remember when only the district champ played further) in football went to the playoffs and the 2nd and 3rd team played in Bowl Games?  Teams with 9-2 records in football went to the Lions Bowl or the Butter Bowl.....Those days are gone. Make playoffs in all sports more exclusive rather than inclusive.  The system brought it on themselves.

Edited by WarriorFan

GC I wasn't at the Obion Haywood consolation game in 2010 I am pretty sure but Obion according to fans that watched it was accused of throwing it to avoid us in the region and it backfired on them losing to Westview in the region. Do you remember this?

That is very true as well. I was there but the difference compared to this is that Obion Co. played the game and just took stupid shots. These teams were dribbling the ball into the back court purposely and hitting the side of the backboard purposely. Obion went about it a different way than the approach Riverdale and Smyrna took. Obion played their starters for the whole game as well...

Let's not let Smyrna off the hook either because we had two teams trying to lose. And there is really nothing the TSSAA  can do but change the format. This is not about just Riverdale but all coaches who would do this. There are more out there who would do this than you would think.

You are correct. Smyrna is guilty too. However, my point was let's don't turn this into bashing everything about Riverdale. I have not seen a free for all on all things Smyrna yet.

I bet that Tullahoma/Riverdale game is closer than people think. Wouldn't be surprised if the Lady Wildcats get the majority of 50/50 and judgment calls.

Good post. This is a long thread, but you may be the first person to hit on the real problem of this topic. Majority of 50/50 and judgment calls? Something to think about. On top of preparing for another team, coaches have to worry about a fair called game? Two teams, both trying to lose, takes away the impact of the officials on the game. I was at the game and no one was angry at the refs. Interesting. Win or lose, a fair called game solves these type games.

I would be willing to put my last dollar on it that 99% of you guys here blasting these coaches and programs have no tie to either team as alumni, teacher, employee or administrator at the schools, on the Rutherford Co county school board, are a parent, fan or even live in Rutherford Co.  Most of you with a few exceptions here have never even been in either schools gym.  It is the coaches business what they did.  The majority of you hated Riverdale before this even happened because they win consistently year after year and post 20 game+ wins even in down years.  Both coaches did what they did for the better of their team in advancing toward the state tournament.  I don't think either coach has a "character issue" like you guys are throwing around.  We all have character flaws, but coming out and saying it before you have talked to or gotten to know either coach or know both sides of a story is pretty judging.  I was at the game and cannot say at first I was understanding because I too like to win, and didn't want Riverdale to lose, but as I thought about both coaches strategy, I understood.  It was no big deal.  For the record...the fans I saw that were standing up booing the loudest had on Oakland colors or were wearing Oakland gear.  They too had no dog in the fight except who they had to play in Region brackets.  

Where were you all when 8-AAA teams used to throw games all the time to stay out of Shelbyville's bracket?  Wasn't there a game Lawrence Co was involved in years ago that the score was under 10 pts?  You guys are making mountains out of molehills.  If you don't like what happened and you are a coach or athletic director, take it up with the TSSAA at the next session to lower the amount of teams that make it to Region to 2-3 per district.  You can either gripe about it here and get nothing done or be proactive and make something happen to further your concern.  Again...no rules of the game were broken by either coach.

Edited by WarriorFan

I would be willing to put my last dollar on it that 99% of you guys here blasting these coaches and programs have no tie to either team as alumni, teacher, employee or administrator at the schools, on the Rutherford Co county school board, are a parent, fan or even live in Rutherford Co.  Most of you with a few exceptions here have never even been in either schools gym.  It is the coaches business what they did.  The majority of you hated Riverdale before this even happened because they win consistently year after year and post 20 game+ wins even in down years.  Both coaches did what they did for the better of their team in advancing toward the state tournament.  I don't think either coach has a "character issue" like you guys are throwing around.  We all have character flaws, but coming out and saying it before you have talked to or gotten to know either coach or know both sides of a story is pretty judging.  I was at the game and cannot say at first I was understanding because I too like to win, and didn't want Riverdale to lose, but as I thought about both coaches strategy, I understood.  It was no big deal.  For the record...the fans I saw that were booing the loudest had on Oakland colors or were wearing Oakland gear.  They too had no dog in the fight except who they had to play in Region brackets.  

Where were you all when 8-AAA teams used to throw games all the time to stay out of Shelbyville's bracket?  Wasn't there a game Lawrence Co was involved in years ago that the score was under 10 pts?  You guys are making mountains out of molehills.  If you don't like what happened and you are a coach or athletic director, take it up with the TSSAA at the next session to lower the amount of teams that make it to Region to 2-3 per district.  You can either gripe about it here and get nothing done or be proactive and make something happen to further your concern.  Again...no rules of the game were broken by either coach.

It's amazing that you are still defending this...  Why does it matter if anyone has "ties" to the program.  That doesnt change the fact that what everyone is saying is these two teams were making a mockery of the game.  

I would be willing to put my last dollar on it that 99% of you guys here blasting these coaches and programs have no tie to either team as alumni, teacher, employee or administrator at the schools, on the Rutherford Co county school board, are a parent, fan or even live in Rutherford Co.  Most of you with a few exceptions here have never even been in either schools gym.  It is the coaches business what they did.  The majority of you hated Riverdale before this even happened because they win consistently year after year and post 20 game+ wins even in down years.  Both coaches did what they did for the better of their team in advancing toward the state tournament.  I don't think either coach has a "character issue" like you guys are throwing around.  We all have character flaws, but coming out and saying it before you have talked to or gotten to know either coach or know both sides of a story is pretty judging.  I was at the game and cannot say at first I was understanding because I too like to win, and didn't want Riverdale to lose, but as I thought about both coaches strategy, I understood.  It was no big deal.  For the record...the fans I saw that were booing the loudest had on Oakland colors or were wearing Oakland gear.  They too had no dog in the fight except who they had to play in Region brackets.  

We need to just go to center court and have the two coaches flip a coin. Just agree beforehand we don't want to win and make a mockery of the game. Let all the fans pay their $6 to see this exciting coin toss and the T$$AA will still be happy as well. The two coaches can study the air currents in the gym and come up with the strategy on how to win this toss. WarriorFan can be there to give them their place trophy while the 4th place team celebrates their loss!