Trezvant beats Ensworth

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

So Penalize a team for playing in their correct classification? How would that make since? Playing up is not an advantage because the schools you play against have more students to pull from were playing down would mean your school could pull from more students. I really dont think you thought your post out

I think he thought it thru , pretty simple . Schools shouldn't be able to play up cause they are scared of the power houses of thier perspective classes ! Dropping two classes weather or not you chose to play up or not looks fishy to me and most people on here ! Are they cheating ? No I don't think so but they are munipulating the system ! But in the end it's like oldschool said , whoever gets to play them will have to line up and play em! Very good win for them last week also!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Penalize a team for playing in their correct classification? How would that make since? Playing up is not an advantage because the schools you play against have more students to pull from were playing down would mean your school could pull from more students. I really dont think you thought your post out

Oh naw, I ain't talking about penalizing them. But simply schools should not get to choose which class they want to play in. Go by the numbers, if they are supposed to be 2a play in 2a, 3a, 4a etc etc. if you choose to play up the stipulation should be that if your numbers drop to where you are playing up 2 classes then you can only drop 1 class per counting period, this year 3a. Basically I am saying you shouldn't be allowed to jump up then down 2 all at once. Especially in memphis where everyone seems to be nomadic roaming from school to school with population shifts at schools fluctuating from year to year in the hundreds. Or memphis should just play for a city championship and leave the rest of the state alone, that would work too.

I agree about not being able to move down two classes. They don't make schools with the multiplier move up two classes. So it should be the same in this case two.

But I don't think Trez moved up to 4A because they were scared of anyone in 3A. Just wanted to be there because of financial reasons. Scheduling, travel, maintains natural rivalries etc.

Oh naw, I ain't talking about penalizing them. But simply schools should not get to choose which class they want to play in. Go by the numbers, if they are supposed to be 2a play in 2a, 3a, 4a etc etc. if you choose to play up the stipulation should be that if your numbers drop to where you are playing up 2 classes then you can only drop 1 class per counting period, this year 3a. Basically I am saying you shouldn't be allowed to jump up then down 2 all at once. Especially in memphis where everyone seems to be nomadic roaming from school to school with population shifts at schools fluctuating from year to year in the hundreds. Or memphis should just play for a city championship and leave the rest of the state alone, that would work too.

+1. Great post!

Trezevant isn't the only school to play up and then decide to play in their classification when the next session of reclassifications starts. I'm actually amused at all of this 'conspiracy' theory ideology i'm reading in this thread. Yes ... they were in 4A last year and due to dropping numbers in enrollement, and the adjustement of classification cut-offs due to the creation of the new super 6A, and other variables, they happen to be classified as 2A this year, and they did a smart thing, and just stayed in the classification that they are supposed to be in. (Quite honestly, I always wondered why Trezevant, Memphis East, Mitchell, Melrose, Ridgeway, Hamilton, and etc. always played up ... it never made sense to me.)

You guys are going to think what you want to think and I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, but I'm going to just tell you, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Yeah ... coaching high school football in a big city in Tennessee is different then coaching a rural team. There are plusses and minuses to both situations. However, it's been my observation that a good coach, regardless of a classification, regardles of location, will win games. Coach Teli White is a VERY good coach. Memphis has more BAD teams, regardless of classification, then any other city in Tennessee. I don't know the man personally, but ever since he's been at Trezevant, he's had a positive influence on those young men that play for him. From what I know about him, he's a no nonesnse type of man. If you ask him, he'll tell you his guys were playing soft and they aren't tough. I heard that from him during the season last year when he would call in to the local high school radio talk show that comes on Friday nights. It's not coach-speak for him, nor is he poor-mouthing trying to downplay his team like coach Lou Holtz tried to do. He's not charasmatic or anything like that ... he comes across as genuine. His football players wouid probably try to run through a brick wall for him if they thought that's what he wanted them to do. He's the type of guy who doesn't give excuses for playing against schools with larger enrollments ... even if he has a lot of players that play both ways. I think he's a throw-back honestly.

If you want to know why Trezevant is so good ... it all revolves around him. It doesn't matter the size of the school ... Trezevant will compete. That's why they scheduled Desoto Central to play against this Friday. (6A north MS team that is currently ranked 7th in the Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen, 16th in the latest MS AP Poll )

That's my $0.02 worth of an opinion.

Edited by kwc

Trezevant isn't the only school to play up and then decide to play in their classification when the next session of reclassifications starts. I'm actually amused at all of this 'conspiracy' theory ideology i'm reading in this thread. Yes ... they were in 4A last year and due to dropping numbers in enrollement, and the adjustement of classification cut-offs due to the creation of the new super 6A, and other variables, they happen to be classified as 2A this year, and they did a smart thing, and just stayed in the classification that they are supposed to be in. (Quite honestly, I always wondered why Trezevant, Memphis East, Mitchell, Melrose, Ridgeway, Hamilton, and etc. always played up ... it never made sense to me.)

You guys are going to think what you want to think and I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, but I'm going to just tell you, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Yeah ... coaching high school football in a big city in Tennessee is different then coaching a rural team. There are plusses and minuses to both situations. However, it's been my observation that a good coach, regardless of a classification, regardles of location, will win games. Coach Teli White is a VERY good coach. Memphis has more BAD teams, regardless of classification, then any other city in Tennessee. I don't know the man personally, but ever since he's been at Trezevant, he's had a positive influence on those young men that play for him. From what I know about him, he's a no nonesnse type of man. If you ask him, he'll tell you his guys were playing soft and they aren't tough. I heard that from him during the season last year when he would call in to the local high school radio talk show that comes on Friday nights. It's not coachspeak for him, nor is he poor-mouthing trying to downplay his team like coach Lou Holtz tried to do. He's not charasmatic or anything like that ... he comes across as genuine. His football players wouid probably try to run through a brick wall for him if they thought that's what he wanted them to do. He's the type of guy who doesn't give excuses for playing against schools with larger enrollments ... even if he has a lot of players that play both ways. I think he's a throw-back honestly.

If you want to know why Trezevant is so good ... it all revolves around him. It doesn't matter the size of the school ... Trezevant will compete. That's why they scheduled Desoto Central to play against this Friday. (6A north MS team that is currently ranked 7th in the Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen, 16th in the latest MS AP Poll )

That's my $0.02 worth of an opinion.

Good post, got atheletes out the rear end and has control over them. Thats a scary combination. I think they are in a league of their own. I watched um play Greenville a few years back and they were extremely talented,just  didn't have any disapline. This coach has done a GREAT job and he is to be commended. I have no problem with it. The world would be a better place if we had more great leaders like Coach White.

Good post, got atheletes out the rear end and has control over them. Thats a scary combination. I think they are in a league of their own. I watched um play Greenville a few years back and they were extremely talented,just  didn't have any disapline. This coach has done a GREAT job and he is to be commended. I have no problem with it. The world would be a better place if we had more great leaders like Coach White.

Well, thats the same coach that coached that Trezevant team that got embarrassed by Greenville. I remember coming on this message board and reading post after post about how bad of a coach he was, and how undisciplined his players were, and how much of a disgrace he was to the coaching profession ... and those comments I just mentioned were the kind ones. He took a proverbial beating on here. That was his first time ever getting a team to that position and he never expected his team to react in the fashion that it did. I know it had a profound affect on him, his coaches, and those young men that played in that game. He and his team were castigated ad nauseam.

I heard him speak on the radio about that game last year. He said in so many words that it was nighmarish to him. It made him change some policies and ideologies he had. Made him realize that you can't save everyone. He was thouroughly embarrassed and humiliated by his team's actions. However, what doesn't kill you will only mke you stronger. He learned from that experience. It changed his life ... let him tell it.

We all know he can coach because he's coached two different teams to play in State Championship games. Lost both. One to Greenville and one to Fulton. I think he will win one before it is all said and done though.

Edited by kwc

Well, thats the same coach that coached that Trezevant team that got embarrassed by Greenville. I remember coming on this message board and reading post after post about how bad of a coach he was, and how undisciplined his players were, and how much of a disgrace he was to the coaching profession ... and those comments I just mentioned were the kind ones. He took a proverbial beating on here. That was his first time ever getting a team to that position and he never expected his team to react in the fashion that it did. I know it had a profound affect on him, his coaches, and those young men that played in that game. He and his team were castigated ad nauseam.

I heard him speak on the radio about that game last year. He said in so many words that it was nighmarish to him. It made him change some policies and ideologies he had. Made him realize that you can't save everyone. He was thouroughly embarrassed and humiliated by his team's actions. However, what doesn't kill you will only mke you stronger. He learned from that experience. It changed his life ... let him tell it.

We all know he can coach because he's coached two different teams to play in State Championship games. Lost both. One to Greenville and one to Fulton. I think he will win one before it is all said and done though.

Didn't realize it was the same Coach kwc,.He's done a great job since. Undisaplined teams very rarely win regardless of the talent.

Didn't realize it was the same Coach kwc,.He's done a great job since. Undisaplined teams very rarely win regardless of the talent.

Yeah ... it's the same man. The vantage point to which I look at that situation is different. I actually think he did a great job the first time as well. Knowing the neighborhood that Trezevant is in. Knowing the attitudes and mentalities of a lot of those young men involved. I'm impressed he got so many to buy-in ... especially to the type of coaching that he does. To get that team to the State Championship game was remarkable even of itself. It's a shame those young men got in that game and self destructed in the fashion to which they did ... but man ... that was one heck of a coaching job just to get them to that point!

I saw the debackle against Greeneville. I also witnessed the loss to Giles two years ago at home. It was a slobber knocker that went down to the wire. I saw nothing but respectful & well coached young men on that Friday night for Trezevant. A class act in a tough loss. Last year brfore the season started I predicted the Trezevant-Fulton match-up. Coach White has adapted and the job he's doing there is awesome. They will walk the dog in this classification. Good luck Trezevant!   :ugeek:

I saw the debackle against Greeneville. I also witnessed the loss to Giles two years ago at home. It was a slobber knocker that went down to the wire. I saw nothing but respectful & well coached young men on that Friday night for Trezevant. A class act in a tough loss. Last year brfore the season started I predicted the Trezevant-Fulton match-up. Coach White has adapted and the job he's doing there is awesome. They will walk the dog in this classification. Good luck Trezevant!   :ugeek:

I didn't attend that game but I remember it being a low scoring affair. Slobber knocker is about right.

I mean no disrespect to the coach, he sounds like a good one for sure. A lot of those kids over there, heck everywhere, are in a one parent or no parent home and the coach has to be coach and a father/ parent figure. It's a big responsibility and a fine line to coach hard/ encourage young men in the right direction. Kudos to him on a job that sounds like is being done well.