Winless team in playoffs possible, Thoughts?

hardtackle

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know to be honest.

From the players perspective sure kids that are seniors are probably gonna want to play that extra game.

From the coaches perspective it probably isn't gonna help your program. Losing and losing big makes it harder to get kids to come out and play. Not only that but I'm sure most would prefer to go without the extra loss. I know a local coach here doesn't like it and has said that it takes away a motivational tool he has during the season of trying to get his kids to play hard for a playoff spot.

From a program perspective you are most likely having to pay expenses for all your kids to travel half way across the state. For a game that most likely isn't gonna help you at all. But I'm not sure of the whole business side of that argument.... maybe they get a share of the gate. I don't think they do but maybe somebody else can confirm or deny that one.

I don't know. If you are a team like Warren County how does traveling to Maryville to lose by however as many points as Maryville wants to score help your program? Does losing to Maryville 70-0 in the playoffs help you as a coach? Is that how you want to remember your last game as a player?

Lots of questions.

I don't know to be honest.

From the players perspective sure kids that are seniors are probably gonna want to play that extra game.

From the coaches perspective it probably isn't gonna help your program. Losing and losing big makes it harder to get kids to come out and play. Not only that but I'm sure most would prefer to go without the extra loss. I know a local coach here doesn't like it and has said that it takes away a motivational tool he has during the season of trying to get his kids to play hard for a playoff spot.

From a program perspective you are most likely having to pay expenses for all your kids to travel half way across the state. For a game that most likely isn't gonna help you at all. But I'm not sure of the whole business side of that argument.... maybe they get a share of the gate. I don't think they do but maybe somebody else can confirm or deny that one.

I don't know. If you are a team like Warren County how does traveling to Maryville to lose by however as many points as Maryville wants to score help your program? Does losing to Maryville 70-0 in the playoffs help you as a coach? Is that how you want to remember your last game as a player?

Lots of questions.

What happens if your QB or star running back goes out to an injury to a win less team..I think it opens up pandoras box for a lot of questions as to why... 

The first 0-11 team in Tennessee high school football history?

Right now Antioch and Siegel are staring at that possibility. For Antioch its a very real possibility.

Antioch has to go to Lebanon this week and if they lose then they are pretty much guaranteed to finish 0-11. Because after that they would have McGavock and Ravenwood and they won't even come close in those games. Then of course they would play the #1 seed from Region 4 in the playoffs.

Siegel has Blackman this week so that streak will continue for another week. But after that they have Warren County and Coffee County. They will most likely beat Warren County. Siegel might be 0-7 but they can put up points. They have put up alot more points than Warren County against a much harder schedule.

Siegel lost 27-47 to Ravenwood the second most points Ravenwood has allowed all year. Ravenwood beat Lebanon 52-7. Lebanon beat Warren County 28-14.

Siegel lost 29-46 to Wilson Central. Wilson Central beat Lebanon 30-7. Lebanon beat Warren County 28-14.

Siegel lost 42-21 to Riverdale. Riverdale beat Warren County 45-3.

Siegel lost 49-30 to Oakland. Oakland beat Warren County 48-7.

In non-region games Siegel has played Ravenwood, Hendersonville and Wilson Central. While Warren County has played Dekalb County, Lebanon and Sequatchie.