Can USJ finally get a gold ball?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks DTC1! We need all the support we can get! Best wishes this Friday and this season!

Great post, Govols. I reckon the first game was such a surprise because of the quality of play CAK has shown over the years. 

I hope and look forward to being proven wrong for the next 25 years! Hopefully we will look back at game one of the Coach Bradley era as an aberration. 

Good luck to CAK this season.

Great post, Govols. I reckon the first game was such a surprise because of the quality of play CAK has shown over the years. 

I hope and look forward to being proven wrong for the next 25 years! Hopefully we will look back at game one of the Coach Bradley era as an aberration. 

Good luck to CAK this season.

Thank you, and I certainly hope and believe so, based on a proven track record. Thank you for the well wishes to CAK, and I will certainly be pulling for USJ this season!

I am posting this on this thread and not the USJ / TCA thread because I don't have a dog in that fight and rivalries are rivalries for a reason. My interest is in the USJ program's development / status, not one particular game.

I really appreciate the TCA fan who told me how to stream the game. I watched every play, including once CRB was just running clock and letting 2nd / 3rd team get reps. I saw mostly things I expected to see out of Bradley's team(s) and a few that are still a work in progress. I can't speak to last week because I didn't see it, but this game the kids knew where they were supposed to be and executed pretty well. The opponent was competitive in the 2nd quarter, and once CRB called off the dogs. Otherwise, it was decisive. In the future, I predict USJ fans will see fewer drops. Drops happen, but Bradley is excellent at getting even average athletes able to 1. run precise routes and catch the ball and 2. Hang on to the ball even when hit very hard. USJ has some very nice athletes. I have no idea what is on the sidelines for next year, but he has some quality athletes to work with on the field. And man is that kicking game something!

One game, of course, does not make a season. A come back loss in over time is no more an indication than this weeks decisive victory on how the season will work out. But I think USJ fans got a glimpse of their future and what CRB's offense can do WHEN it's clicking on all cylinders. Part of the game it was, part it wasn't. Still a ways to go. If this game is an indication, CRB has work to do not only with football but discipline, regardless of what the other team does or does not do. I can assure you that it will come as players grow up in the program. He will contribute to these young men not only in their football IQ, but also in keeping a cool head and keeping their emotions in check, and putting the team and the game ahead of whatever personal issue one might be dealing with on a particular play. Having said that, this game could have been (easily) 14+ points more one sided. I would opine that if these exact 2 squads played this exact game 1 year later, (same players, same conditions, etc) that it would be 7 - 21 points more one sided.

Probably the only game I'll get to watch this year, but it was a great way to spend a Saturday evening.

Oh, and Solomon, I couldn't agree more with your post. It is going to be a lot of fun to keep up with USJ over the next few years, although I miss having CRB and his family around here. I'm glad to see Coach Bradley have a chance to compete on a level playing field in D2.

I am posting this on this thread and not the USJ / TCA thread because I don't have a dog in that fight and rivalries are rivalries for a reason. My interest is in the USJ program's development / status, not one particular game.

I really appreciate the TCA fan who told me how to stream the game. I watched every play, including once CRB was just running clock and letting 2nd / 3rd team get reps. I saw mostly things I expected to see out of Bradley's team(s) and a few that are still a work in progress. I can't speak to last week because I didn't see it, but this game the kids knew where they were supposed to be and executed pretty well. The opponent was competitive in the 2nd quarter, and once CRB called off the dogs. Otherwise, it was decisive. In the future, I predict USJ fans will see fewer drops. Drops happen, but Bradley is excellent at getting even average athletes able to 1. run precise routes and catch the ball and 2. Hang on to the ball even when hit very hard. USJ has some very nice athletes. I have no idea what is on the sidelines for next year, but he has some quality athletes to work with on the field. And man is that kicking game something!

One game, of course, does not make a season. A come back loss in over time is no more an indication than this weeks decisive victory on how the season will work out. But I think USJ fans got a glimpse of their future and what CRB's offense can do WHEN it's clicking on all cylinders. Part of the game it was, part it wasn't. Still a ways to go. If this game is an indication, CRB has work to do not only with football but discipline, regardless of what the other team does or does not do. I can assure you that it will come as players grow up in the program. He will contribute to these young men not only in their football IQ, but also in keeping a cool head and keeping their emotions in check, and putting the team and the game ahead of whatever personal issue one might be dealing with on a particular play. Having said that, this game could have been (easily) 14+ points more one sided. I would opine that if these exact 2 squads played this exact game 1 year later, (same players, same conditions, etc) that it would be 7 - 21 points more one sided.

Probably the only game I'll get to watch this year, but it was a great way to spend a Saturday evening.

Oh, and Solomon, I couldn't agree more with your post. It is going to be a lot of fun to keep up with USJ over the next few years, although I miss having CRB and his family around here. I'm glad to see Coach Bradley have a chance to compete on a level playing field in D2.

100% agree with this. Also, I'm staying out of the TCA/USJ thread because life is too short for such nonsense ;)

I had a triple helping of crow this weekend! Crow wings, crow quesadillas, crow pizza, you name it.

What a difference a week makes.

Govolsknox, if USJ improves from game to game at the same rate the rest of the season, this team has a shot at the AFC South ;)

USJ looked great. 

QB is progressing rapidly. Poise and confidence were leaps and bounds above week one. Congratulations to that young man. With his size and arm strength, if he keeps improving he has a chance to play on Saturdays.

USJ has run the spread successfully in the past. But after watching them start to execute Coach Bradley's offense, I now understand the hype.

Drops and procedural penalties will be fixed. You can tell they're just scratching the surface.

With the other penalties, seemed like the refs were getting paid per flag thrown. It's not the worst thing to have a defense that gets a little chippy now and then.

Other players that really stood out were #32 and #20. #20 was all over the field and brings the wood. #32 was too and had a great catch and run on that TD. I like the cut of that young man's jib.

And, of course, Trey Smith is an unblockable terror on D and a colossus at tackle. Campbell (and perhaps Wells Smith?) will kick on Saturdays -- and maybe Sundays one day.

Fun game. That team from Saturday can compete with anyone on the schedule and, as they continue to improve, make some noise in the playoffs.

Kublah-

I've had crow before and sometimes it doesn't taste so bad as long as your team wins.  The QB will only get better as he heals and gains experience.  I don't want to blow him up too much, but last year he had better wheels than arm.  #32 had 0 catches the first game...again experience with the new scheme, etc. #20 is a sophomore and the first game we had 2 starting LBs out due to injuries- one came back and he returned the strip for a TD.  Have no idea how the season will turn out and there are some really good teams on the schedule (Milan, Briarcrest. BGA, ECS, St. Georges) so it's going to be tough.  GoVolsKnox knows more about our system than I do, so I think he has a pretty good take on how the season and players will develop under Coach Bradley.  I know one thing, we are all sick of rain and humidity!  Will be glad when fall is here-

USJ may never get to the point of the Super 7 (or whatever they are called now), but they will get to a point where they will dominate the smaller D-2 schools. Once all the dust settles with classifications, I would expect USJ and Catholic to have an annual meeting in Cookeville for the forseeable future.

USJ may never get to the point of the Super 7 (or whatever they are called now), but they will get to a point where they will dominate the smaller D-2 schools. Once all the dust settles with classifications, I would expect USJ and Catholic to have an annual meeting in Cookeville for the forseeable future.

Based on the numbers I have seen, Catholic will be playing with the big boys in D2 while USJ will be with the middle group, so I don't see this happening.