Can USJ finally get a gold ball?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catholic's student population is up in the 750 range.  My understanding is that the break point will be in the 500 range, so Catholic will almost certainly be one subdivision up from the Webb/USJ/CAK type teams.  I think TSSAA has published some detailed numbers about where the break points will be.

Didn't realize that Catholic was going to be grouped with the largest group.

Just wanted to stop by with a note of congratulations. If I am keeping things straight, USJ is 3-1 with the 1 loss being an unusual string of events culminating in losing in overtime.

I am very happy for my favorite team in West TN. I realize there are many challenging games coming up on the schedule, and that USJ has their work cut out for them. Regardless, that is a very nice start! I'll be following the scores every week.

Just wanted to stop by with a note of congratulations. If I am keeping things straight, USJ is 3-1 with the 1 loss being an unusual string of events culminating in losing in overtime.

I am very happy for my favorite team in West TN. I realize there are many challenging games coming up on the schedule, and that USJ has their work cut out for them. Regardless, that is a very nice start! I'll be following the scores every week.

Govolsknox, USJ is improving every week. 

I've been on a steady diet of crow since week one. Coach Bradley is a heck of coach. Looking at the depth and talent in the pipeline combined with Bradley's system, the program is in great shape. USJ is also benefitting from the statewide uptick in D1 talent.

As an aside, I am of the opinion that there has always been a lot of D1 talent in rural Tennessee. Just nowadays wth Hudl it's easier for these players to get exposure.

For example, Wells Smith (#14 for USJ) is a D1 player who might have been overlooked in the past.

With all of the eyes on Trey Smith, it wouldn't surprise me if Wells picks up a Big Five offer or two before the season is over with. He has the speed.

Also, very impressed with what freshman RB Willis has shown in limited time. He's not quite ready for "the big show" yet, but the potential is there. His gait and running style remind me of Chase Hayden (Arkansas commit from St. George's).

The rest of the schedule is a doozy. Combined win/loss record for those six teams right now is 18-6. 

This week against BGA will tell us a lot. From what I've seen of both teams, USJ is the favorite by a touchdown or so. Should be a hard fought game from wire-to-wire though.

Also, Govolsknox, I have to confess to keeping an extra eye on CAK this year. Saw y'all had a tough one against Webb. What do you think of Webb this season?

Govolsknox, USJ is improving every week. 

I've been on a steady diet of crow since week one. Coach Bradley is a heck of coach. Looking at the depth and talent in the pipeline combined with Bradley's system, the program is in great shape. USJ is also benefitting from the statewide uptick in D1 talent.

As an aside, I am of the opinion that there has always been a lot of D1 talent in rural Tennessee. Just nowadays wth Hudl it's easier for these players to get exposure.

For example, Wells Smith (#14 for USJ) is a D1 player who might have been overlooked in the past.

With all of the eyes on Trey Smith, it wouldn't surprise me if Wells picks up a Big Five offer or two before the season is over with. He has the speed.

Also, very impressed with what freshman RB Willis has shown in limited time. He's not quite ready for "the big show" yet, but the potential is there. His gait and running style remind me of Chase Hayden (Arkansas commit from St. George's).

The rest of the schedule is a doozy. Combined win/loss record for those six teams right now is 18-6. 

This week against BGA will tell us a lot. From what I've seen of both teams, USJ is the favorite by a touchdown or so. Should be a hard fought game from wire-to-wire though.

Also, Govolsknox, I have to confess to keeping an extra eye on CAK this year. Saw y'all had a tough one against Webb. What do you think of Webb this season?

Agree with everything you stated completely with one exception. No crow need be eaten. You called it like you saw it. Fortunately, it was a very small sample size and hopefully what you have seen the last few weeks leave everyone at USJ much more encouraged (and this is important) regardless of what happens the rest of this season. CRB is the real deal. He is not an old school, don't give them any water, style coach. And there may be some out there that prefer old school. But what he is, is a heck of a football coach, an offensive genius with a one of a kind system, who will eat sleep and breathe USJ football. He is also IMO the most sincere football coach about his faith I have ever met. It's not a gimmick, it is who he is to his core, and those values (if USJ will allow him) will make better football players and more importantly better MEN out of these kids. 

Webb....I always want the small number of players to be an indication and it rarely if ever is. They are always really good. Last year was a definite down year for them. According to their long time coach, this is the fastest backfield they've ever had. NO ONE I've ever seen runs the wing-T with the precision and execution that Webb does. They are well coached, and they always have some athletes. It doesn't hurt that they are in D2 and that although they have only 35 players or so, they can offer financial aid, and give some kids a chance at a great education and a great football program that otherwise couldn't afford the approx $14,000 / year tuition. Honestly, while I HATE losing to either them or Catholic as we are all within 2 miles, I really expected this to be their year, so I was pleased with our performance although disappointed in the loss. They have one of the fastest kids (8th grader, yes, 8th grader) I've ever seen. When they get that wing-T misdirection going and then he or a couple of their other speedsters get a step or two on you, it's all over, at least for our little team. We won more "plays" than they did, but they had several long strikes that did us in. Quality team that will improve throughout the season IF they don't have major injuries. With 35 on the roster, depth is always an issue for them if someone goes down.

I appreciate you looking in on our scores and games. It's not quite the same. Although we are running CRB's offense, he is not there as a play caller, and as you know, he has the QB look at him before virtually every snap to get the benefit of what he sees on the defensive field. We no longer do that, and while our QB is outstanding and very smart, he is still only 17-18 years old. So I miss the knack CRB had for play calling, and his ability to help the QB with his vision. Overall though, the new staff is doing well, finding ways to stay in the game, and these kids know how to win. I believe this staff will only improve, as will our OC.

One thing CRB left with these young men, and will instill in yours, is that it's never over till the clock says zero. CAK has come back in 2 of their 3 wins, and all but came back to win at Webb, their sole loss.

Nice talking with you guys, and I'll keep checking CoachT scores every Friday for yours. Hope you come out on top with BGA.

I'll second GVK's comments about Webb; they are VERY good this year unless you have some super-fast guys to chase down their RB's.

A point of clarification, GVK's estimate about Webb's cost is a bit "dated." Tuition is now over $18,000 and, with fees and other additional expenses, Webb is easily 20 grand a year now.

The 8th grader is incredibly fast and seems to have good football instincts. My understanding is he's already 15, so depending on when his birthday falls, he might have an eligibility issue in his senior year.

Unless Webb loses some key players to injury, I don't see anybody from West TN beating them in the playoffs this year--too much speed. USJ might have to wait a couple of years for its gold ball. Good luck to you the rest of the way this year.

Agree with everything you stated completely with one exception. No crow need be eaten. You called it like you saw it. Fortunately, it was a very small sample size and hopefully what you have seen the last few weeks leave everyone at USJ much more encouraged (and this is important) regardless of what happens the rest of this season. CRB is the real deal. He is not an old school, don't give them any water, style coach. And there may be some out there that prefer old school. But what he is, is a heck of a football coach, an offensive genius with a one of a kind system, who will eat sleep and breathe USJ football. He is also IMO the most sincere football coach about his faith I have ever met. It's not a gimmick, it is who he is to his core, and those values (if USJ will allow him) will make better football players and more importantly better MEN out of these kids. 

Webb....I always want the small number of players to be an indication and it rarely if ever is. They are always really good. Last year was a definite down year for them. According to their long time coach, this is the fastest backfield they've ever had. NO ONE I've ever seen runs the wing-T with the precision and execution that Webb does. They are well coached, and they always have some athletes. It doesn't hurt that they are in D2 and that although they have only 35 players or so, they can offer financial aid, and give some kids a chance at a great education and a great football program that otherwise couldn't afford the approx $14,000 / year tuition. Honestly, while I HATE losing to either them or Catholic as we are all within 2 miles, I really expected this to be their year, so I was pleased with our performance although disappointed in the loss. They have one of the fastest kids (8th grader, yes, 8th grader) I've ever seen. When they get that wing-T misdirection going and then he or a couple of their other speedsters get a step or two on you, it's all over, at least for our little team. We won more "plays" than they did, but they had several long strikes that did us in. Quality team that will improve throughout the season IF they don't have major injuries. With 35 on the roster, depth is always an issue for them if someone goes down.

I appreciate you looking in on our scores and games. It's not quite the same. Although we are running CRB's offense, he is not there as a play caller, and as you know, he has the QB look at him before virtually every snap to get the benefit of what he sees on the defensive field. We no longer do that, and while our QB is outstanding and very smart, he is still only 17-18 years old. So I miss the knack CRB had for play calling, and his ability to help the QB with his vision. Overall though, the new staff is doing well, finding ways to stay in the game, and these kids know how to win. I believe this staff will only improve, as will our OC.

One thing CRB left with these young men, and will instill in yours, is that it's never over till the clock says zero. CAK has come back in 2 of their 3 wins, and all but came back to win at Webb, their sole loss.

Nice talking with you guys, and I'll keep checking CoachT scores every Friday for yours. Hope you come out on top with BGA.

Favorite team in West TN huh?? I see how it is. We give ya a couple of gold balls and ya turn your back on us. Well we will just have to take it out on USJ in a couple of weeks!! Lol!!!

Favorite team in West TN huh?? I see how it is. We give ya a couple of gold balls and ya turn your back on us. Well we will just have to take it out on USJ in a couple of weeks!! Lol!!!

Ha!, well I can honestly say that Milan is my second favorite team in West TN! Just happen to have a little connection to the USJ coaching staff lol. As I mentioned, I'll be pulling for you guys in 9 of 10 (and perhaps 14 of 15...) Good luck this week!