Metro Rankings

bleacher

7 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

open zoning killed that.

I totally disagree that open zoning killed Metro Nashville Public Schools.  What killed MNPS was the consolidation of all of the neighborhood/community schools into the comprehensive high schools.  When this happened all of the schools lost the community and small business support.  The end result was that the private schools flourished along with families that had small children moved outside of Davidson County.  This can all be fixed but it will be very painful for many of the families/students and current community leaders of Davidson County.  What I do know to be true is as Nashville continues to grow the businesses that relocate to Davidson County will “DEMAND” a great public school system for their employees.  

Edited by cbg

13 minutes ago, cbg said:

I totally disagree that open zoning killed Metro Nashville Public Schools.  What killed MNPS was the consolidation of all of the neighborhood/community schools into the comprehensive high schools.  When this happened all of the schools lost the community and small business support.  The end result was that the private schools flourished along with families that had small children moved outside of Davidson County.  This can all be fixed but it will be very painful for many of the families/students and current community leaders of Davidson County.  What I do know to be true as Nashville continues to grow the businesses that relocate to Davidson County will “DEMAND” a great public school system for their employees.  

What i meant was there was still parity even after the comprehensive rage happened. You still had school zones with comprehensive schools. They were just larger. However, there were still plenty of competitive teams.

Now there are not because 4-5 schools recruit like crazy and the others are left with the dregs.

4 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

With the way that MLK co-ops with Pearl-Cohn and now Hume-Fogg co-ops with East Nashville it makes you realize that more of the schools need to do this with football.  Glencliff, Antioch, Maplewood, Stratford, Whites Creek, and Hunters Lane should all look at this moving forward.  It's sad because I can remember when all of those schools were strong at points on the football field.  

Pearl-Cohn, East Nashville, Cane Ridge, Hillsboro, Lawson, Overton, and McGavock should all be the Metro-Nashville Football Playing Programs.  They should all co-op with the non-football playing schools and should compete at the 5A/6A level with those numbers counting against their enrollments.  

Metro needs to cut its football playing schools in half.  It would help to make the district's football presence be more like Rutherford, Sumner, and Williamson Counties.

Lawson? How so? They are not close to anything?  Besides it is just Hillwood in a new building .

1 hour ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

What i meant was there was still parity even after the comprehensive rage happened. You still had school zones with comprehensive schools. They were just larger. However, there were still plenty of competitive teams.

Now there are not because 4-5 schools recruit like crazy and the others are left with the dregs.

As a graduate of MNPS we will agree to disagree about the zones that MNPS had in the 60;s and 70’s.  Yes theoretically there were zones but all one had to do was take a class that one of the other schools didn’t offer and you were admitted to that school if you provided your own transportation.  Research how many of those great baseball players for McGavock did not live in the zone or the football players for John Overton.  

4 hours ago, cbg said:

I totally disagree that open zoning killed Metro Nashville Public Schools.  What killed MNPS was the consolidation of all of the neighborhood/community schools into the comprehensive high schools.  When this happened all of the schools lost the community and small business support.  The end result was that the private schools flourished along with families that had small children moved outside of Davidson County.  This can all be fixed but it will be very painful for many of the families/students and current community leaders of Davidson County.  What I do know to be true as Nashville continues to grow the businesses that relocate to Davidson County will “DEMAND” a great public school system for their employees.  

I agree, some very true statements.

4 hours ago, cbg said:

As a graduate of MNPS we will agree to disagree about the zones that MNPS had in the 60;s and 70’s.  Yes theoretically there were zones but all one had to do was take a class that one of the other schools didn’t offer and you were admitted to that school if you provided your own transportation.  Research how many of those great baseball players for McGavock did not live in the zone or the football players for John Overton.  

I am also a graduate of MNPS and the parity left us when school zones left us. Now if you want to argue when the school system itself started its downward spiral then yes you are correct it was when Comprehensive schools invaded Nashville although it goes deeper than that. 

1971 when you lost Donelson, Two Rivers, Litton and Central was the start.

1986 when you lost DuPont, Madison, Goodlettsville and East was the end.

1 hour ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

I am also a graduate of MNPS and the parity left us when school zones left us. Now if you want to argue when the school system itself started its downward spiral then yes you are correct it was when Comprehensive schools invaded Nashville although it goes deeper than that. 

1971 when you lost Donelson, Two Rivers, Litton and Central was the start.

1986 when you lost DuPont, Madison, Goodlettsville and East was the end.

The real question is will Davidson County ever do what it takes to have good public schools again?  IMO, the answer is yes but it will be due to major fortune 100 companies wanting to relocate to Nashville and demanding that MNPS be fixed immediately.  I will say it again that Davidson County abandoned the public school system many years ago and while it will be very painful it can be fixed.  You know that you have a screwed up public school system when no one is able to name the last Mayor of Davidson County that sent their children to high school in MNPS.

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

On 1/29/2023 at 7:27 PM, FBfan26 said:

FriAug. 187:00 PMicon-game12.gif Pope John Paul II

FriAug. 257:00 PMicon-game12.gif at  Kenwood

FriSep. 17:00 PMicon-game12.gif John Overton

FriSep. 87:00 PMicon-game12.gif at  Maplewood R

FriSep. 157:00 PMicon-game12.gif at  Liberty Creek R

FriSep. 227:00 PMicon-game12.gif at  Franklin Road Academy

FriSep. 297:00 PMicon-game12.gif at  Smyrna

FriOct. 67:00 PMicon-game12.gif at  Cane Ridge

FriOct. 207:00 PMicon-game12.gif RePublic R

ThuOct. 267:00 PMicon-game12.gif Stratford R

That’s y’all schedule. It’s on here

This is ridiculous. I’ve heard the rivalry has gone too far and it needs to cool off. It’s only a rivalry because let’s be real East Nashville and PC are the same people. It’s a lot of PC alumni who have kids over here. Heck the coach’s are PC alum. It’s healthy competition and two metro flag ship programs. I can’t stand the fire chickens but I do respect y’all work.

16 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

Pearl-Cohn

East Nashville 

Cane Ridge

Those 3 programs should be playing one another every single year.  They are the 3 best programs in Metro today and the games would be great attractions for all of middle TN.  

100% still to the day the largest game I’ve  seen was East Vs PC at Vanderbilt. Nothing like it. Literally filled up the home side of the stands. The atmosphere was crazy. When done right things can be achieved. 

Edited by FBfan26