Metro Rankings

bleacher

20 hours ago, workinprogress said:

Gone are the good ole days of the Nashville Banner with actual sports writers. Kreager never acknowledges metro teams other than Pearl Cohn, EN, and Cane Ridge. If you arent the cream of the crop or playing the cream of the top, he could care less about you. Unless you happen to be grilling something. 

he'll acknowledge the best consession stand/hospltality room.

22 hours ago, workinprogress said:

I'm not saying to focus on those schools but to cover them. One thing for sure is that you never run out of stories about kids in metro. But it's more than metro. Should be more coverage for all of middle Tennessee. 

Years ago I only focused on metro but now since the city has expanded I look at all of middle games. I enjoys watching mainstreet preps and kreagur on twitter Friday nights.

• 2 weeks later...

With the new enrollment numbers out there and the few schools choosing to play up, how do we see the metro regions shaping up?  

Why would Whites Creek move to 4A and why would a Lawson choose to play 5A when they have 4A numbers?  

Only thing that makes some sense is that these schools are playing up for scheduling purposes.  I suppose Lawson will be placed into a region with Hunters Lane, Hillsboro and Glencliff.  Wonder who else would slide into this region..... maybe a Springfield, Henry County or a Hendersonville?  

20 hours ago, 18NCS said:

With the new enrollment numbers out there and the few schools choosing to play up, how do we see the metro regions shaping up?  

Why would Whites Creek move to 4A and why would a Lawson choose to play 5A when they have 4A numbers?  

Only thing that makes some sense is that these schools are playing up for scheduling purposes.  I suppose Lawson will be placed into a region with Hunters Lane, Hillsboro and Glencliff.  Wonder who else would slide into this region..... maybe a Springfield, Henry County or a Hendersonville?  

Other than being cheap, nothing that MNPS does makes sense.  You have several inner city schools that struggle to win games and you force them to play up and get killed so that you don’t have to spend money on travel?  With the 34.5% property tax increase that KING JOHN COOPER got passed in the middle of a pandemic, MNPS should have more than enough money for regional football travel.

Edited by cbg

7 hours ago, 18NCS said:

I think Whites creek didn’t want to be in the pool with all the metro schools plus a lot of them teams travel well. If I’m not mistaken Lawson moved up because they are expecting a jump in enrollment once the school is open.

Edited by FBfan26

12 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

I think Whites creek didn’t want to be in the pool with all the metro schools plus a lot of them teams travel well. If I’m not mistaken Lawson moved up because they are expecting a jump in enrollment once the school is open.

Shafer thinks their enrollment will jump because of the new school building. Lipstick on a pig. Same kids, same problems wrapped in a new shell.

Hillwood loses more kids in their area to privates AND the two academic magnets than any other area by far. Putting a bow on the building will not change that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Shafer thinks their enrollment will jump because of the new school building. Lipstick on a pig. Same kids, same problems wrapped in a new shell.

Hillwood loses more kids in their area to privates AND the two academic magnets than any other area by far. Putting a bow on the building will not change that.

If you look at the Hillwood, West Meade and Bellevue neighborhoods I would estimate that well over 50% of the kids (probably closer to 75% in Hillwood and West Meade) attend private schools.  Let’s be honest and say that St. Cecilia, Harpeth Hall, MBA, Nashville Christian, Lipscomb Academy, Franklin Road Academy. MLK Magnet, Hume Fogg, University School of Nashville and Father Ryan are all within a 5 mile drive of Hillwood High School.  A shinny new building will not change the enrollment numbers.  As an example look at Hillsboro and the complete renovation that has been done and they still don’t have 1300 students.  The Hillsboro property was valued at around $400 million and they probably spent 100 million on renovations. Hillsboro should have been sold and those 1300 students sent to other schools.  Not only has Davidson County abandoned public education at the middle school and high school grades but they also appear to waste a lot of money.

Edited by cbg

1 hour ago, cbg said:

If you look at the Hillwood, West Meade and Bellevue neighborhoods I would estimate that well over 50% of the kids (probably closer to 75% in Hillwood and West Meade) attend private schools.  Let’s be honest and say that St. Cecilia, Harpeth Hall, MBA, Nashville Christian, Lipscomb Academy, Franklin Road Academy. MLK Magnet, Hume Fogg, University School of Nashville and Father Ryan are all within a 5 mile drive of Hillwood High School.  A shinny new building will not change the enrollment numbers.  As an example look at Hillsboro and the complete renovation that has been done and they still don’t have 1300 students.  The Hillsboro property was valued at around $400 million and they probably spent 100 million on renovations. Hillsboro should have been sold and those 1300 students sent to other schools.  Not only has Davidson County abandoned public education at the middle school and high school grades but they also appear to waste a lot of money.

There are athletes in the building no matter the enrollment. The newest facilities can’t change poor coaching, and undisciplined kids. Metro’s motto doing less with more.

1 hour ago, MJGOLDENBEARS said:

There are athletes in the building no matter the enrollment. The newest facilities can’t change poor coaching, and undisciplined kids. Metro’s motto doing less with more.

You will not receive any argument out of me with regards to MNPS being a total cluster.  The real issues are how do you fix MNPS?  IMO, you have several problems, but everything begins with the bureaucrats in Davidson County and the families not placing a significant value on education.  IMO, this is more of a people problem than money problem when discussing MNPS. With that being said I can assure you that the very best athletes in West Meade, Hillwood and Bellevue are being recruited very hard by the private schools and most elect to attend a private school.  

4 hours ago, cbg said:

Hillwood HS will be an interesting case study for years to come.  Bellevue HS was closed down I believe in the 60s to make way for one of the newly created metro Super Schools, Hillwood HS.  I grew up in that area, and during the 70s-80s it had some athletic success but most importantly had strong community support.  I grew up going to football, basketball, and baseball games there...there were lots of local families who invested a lot in Hillwood athletics--fund raising, selling tickets, working the concession stands each week.  Hillwood had great crowds; they enjoyed great support from the community.  They hosted and defeated MBA in '89 and that night it was packed to the gills.  Hillwood always also had a great marching band back then that was a real source of school pride.    

I guess as the years went on, more people from the neighborhood opted for private school, new people moved in and didn't even consider the local HS...some of the stalwarts who supported Hillwood aged out...the newcomers to the neighborhood never formed any sort of bond with Hillwood.  So now, 60 years later, they will move back to Bellevue.  Which some old timers still living from that era will say, they never should have left Bellevue in the first place.  Strange around graduation time this year, driving around that neighborhood when the families put the signs in their yards honoring graduates, I never once saw a Hillwood HS sign, but I did notice 5-6 Hillsboro signs (among all the various private school signs)....

So now the million dollar question literally is what is metro going to do with that property?

Edited by Navy21412

1 minute ago, Navy21412 said:

Hillwood HS will be an interesting case study for years to come.  Bellevue HS was closed down I believe in the 60s to make way for one of the newly created metro Super Schools, Hillwood HS.  I grew up in that area, and during the 70s-80s it had some athletic success but most importantly had strong community support.  I grew up going to football, basketball, and baseball games there...there were lots of local families who invested a lot in Hillwood athletics--fund raising, selling tickets, working the concession stands each week.  Hillwood had great crowds; they enjoyed great support from the community.  They hosted and defeated MBA in '89 and that night it was packed to the gills.  Hillwood always also had a great marching band back then that was a real source of school pride.    

I guess as the years went on, more people from the neighborhood opted for private school, new people moved in and didn't even consider the local HS...some of the stalwarts who supported Hillwood aged out...the newcomers to the neighborhood never formed any sort of bond with Hillwood.  So now, 60 years later, they will move back to Bellevue.  Which some old timers still living from that era will say, they never should have left Bellevue in the first place.  Strange around graduation time this year, driving around when the families put the signs in their yards honoring graduates, I never once saw a Hillwood HS sign, but I did notice 5-6 Hillsboro signs (among all the various private school signs)....

So now the million dollar question literally is what is metro going to do with that property?

Bellevue closed with the graduating class of 1980 and people were told at that time by the Metro Council that they would build another high school in Bellevue.  People are now paying 1 million for homes on a one-acre lot in Hillwood and West Meade only to tear them down and build the mini mansion that has roughly 7500+ square feet.  Times have really changed in that area and yes, those neighborhoods do not support the public school system.