McGill freshman RB from William Blount transfers to maryville

fooseball95

If you truly have the ability to play football beyond high school, playing at Maryville is probably the thing to do.  You will get more exposure and look better than you really are, because you will only have to play one way and the better players around you will help you be better.  If you stay at Heritage or WB, you will play both ways and most times not get as much help from your teammates.  The chance of injury or just getting worn out are much greater.  However, over the years many kids that could have been contributors at Heritage or WB have gone to Maryville to get a ring while never playing a down outside of mop-up time.  That gives Mayville a big advantage in the depth chart, and kills the depth at the county schools. 

2 minutes ago, ThePunisher said:

If you truly have the ability to play football beyond high school, playing at Maryville is probably the thing to do.  You will get more exposure and look better than you really are, because you will only have to play one way and the better players around you will help you be better.  If you stay at Heritage or WB, you will play both ways and most times not get as much help from your teammates.  The chance of injury or just getting worn out are much greater.  However, over the years many kids that could have been contributors at Heritage or WB have gone to Maryville to get a ring while never playing a down outside of mop-up time.  That gives Mayville a big advantage in the depth chart, and kills the depth at the county schools. 

#ringitis 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThePunisher said:

LOL @rebelwoman87 "ringititis".

There have been many players over the years at Maryville who don't get playing time unless we're up by three scores or more.  But those kids are a HUGE part of our success; they put in just as much blood, sweat and tears as our starters do, out there during practice and when they do play in games.  But yes, I will agree, playing for Maryville does help with college recruiting. ;) 

1 hour ago, ThePunisher said:

Correction....goes to Alcoa to get a ring......more so than Maryville the last few years. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MLREB said:

Correction....goes to Alcoa to get a ring......more so than Maryville the last few years. 

Maryville is the place to go if you want to have a good shot at going 15-0 and getting a ring. Alcoa is the place to go if you just want a ring and don't mind being 14-1. I am too OCD...if I was a player with "ringitis," I would want the perfect season

5 hours ago, oridgecat said:

To me this is pretty simple.  Murvil doesn't have to reach out to anybody.  Success breeds success.  People want to be a part of a winning program, bottom line.  If you have a young athlete and you are trying to decide what is the best situation for the kid, would you rather your kid go to a school that wins 6-8 games in his 4 year career and has to deal with all the drama, instability and questionable leadership that often times comes with it?  Or would you rather him be a part of a steady, healthy, and successful program?  If that is important to the parents and player than it's a no brainer.  Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.  

I want my boy to play for Coach Compton so he can learn the blueprint.  Lol

He could learn many things from Compton. However Compton has promised to leave this forum and I am sure he is a man of his word.

GO REBELS!

On 8/22/2017 at 4:01 PM, JSamson7 said:

We're not, the kid's dad has openly spoke about putting his kid in Maryville before on CoachT but for whatever reason he initially decided he would succeed more at WB.

In regards to the Cleveland teams, I played against the best 2 and in particular the team with the Cobb twins stands out. However, I would bet there are a few of our teams at Maryville would have beat them.  Just in the late 90's I'd take the 95, 97, and especially the 98 team at Maryville but we unfortunately we'll never know.

Small world, I played on the 95 Smyrna team who was coached by wb's coach shad that beat Maryville in the p/o's that year and lost to Cleveland in the semi's. Both teams were tough but I'd give the edge to Cleveland late in the season, and I believe they had won state the two previous years if I remember right? So I'd give Cleveland the edge but Anyways we were a pass away from making it to state and beating the champs Cleveland, anyways Cleveland went on and  destroyed who ever they played in the championship game and  I was to devestated to watch or even cared who they'd played so I can't remember but anyways thanks for the memories even if they still sting to this day 

14 hours ago, oldschooldawg30 said:

Small world, I played on the 95 Smyrna team who was coached by wb's coach shad that beat Maryville in the p/o's that year and lost to Cleveland in the semi's. Both teams were tough but I'd give the edge to Cleveland late in the season, and I believe they had won state the two previous years if I remember right? So I'd give Cleveland the edge but Anyways we were a pass away from making it to state and beating the champs Cleveland, anyways Cleveland went on and  destroyed who ever they played in the championship game and  I was to devestated to watch or even cared who they'd played so I can't remember but anyways thanks for the memories even if they still sting to this day 

I was matched up against Luke Powell all night both games that season and remember chasing Larry Daniels all over the field. The second game in the playoffs we were decimated by injuries though. The Maryville teams these days have more depth than we had on that team, but IF (and a big IF) we had any one of our 3 big playmakers on offense that were out there's no doubt in my mind we would have won that game. We couldn't score in the red zone multiple trips and you guys had too much of a dangerous team to let hang around. Our defense was only able to shut you guys out for so long and unfortunately our backups on offense weren't good enough to score.

One of the current MHS coaches (Jason Hicks) still hold the Maryville single game rushing record from the 1st game that year. He was county player of the year in '95 and I'm not even sure he was our best player that season, but he was still super good and when those 3 big playmakers were all healthy we never lost.

15 hours ago, oldschooldawg30 said:

I remember that game very well. Y'all had a very tough team that year. We beat y'all 26-22 and went on to beat Haywood in finals 14-3. THAt was my senior year

• 3 years later...

Been saving this for awhile now...This is for all you Rebel haters that bashed my son and said he would never see the field At Maryville, especially Coach Satterfield ,Coach Shad. 

2x State champ ( undefeated heading to 3rd!) Helped lead his team to victory over Alcoa with 26 carries 116 yards and earned player of the game 2019

junior season All State 6A running back (coach poll) 

All region 6A running back (1st team)

1,267 yards. 227 vs Farragut (school record)

capped off season with State championship 

senior season Undefeated so far knocking on a 1,000 yards now with 3 regular season games left. In the discussion for Mr.Football 6A. But most importantly to him this season means nothing without a ring. That’s all I have for now. Thanks to all the WB family who doubted him. You fueled his fire even more