William blount offseason thread

On 3/14/2018 at 1:50 AM, TheGuvna said:

Barney,

I was thinking they need to do an Unsolved Mysteries episode on how WB went up to DB in 2016 and played 4 qtrs of really good football without any monkey business. I still cant figure that one out. How do you go from beating a good team like that on the road to losing to Heritage the next week? 

He totally lost that team after that game which happens, Kind of like Butch Jones lost his team last year. Using that D-B game as a barometer they should have went 5-5 at least. Last year things looked up for a .500 or plus season but the wheels came off the bus going to Lenior City and just never could recover from there. My thoughts are 3-7 this year with a few more close games also with a young team that may be good a year from now.

1 hour ago, strongx said:

Excluding the current staff (in case they read coacht), name the top 5 all time head football coaches in LA. How many coaches have there been in the 40 year history?

1979-87   Mike White         31-59       .344

1988-94   Steve Gordon    23-48       .323

1995-98   Steve Fickert      13-28       .317

1999-01  Earl McMahan    20-15       .571

2002        John Reid              5-6          .454

2003       Ronnie Phelps      5-6          .454

2004-7   Scott Meadows    25-20      .555

2008      Richie Wilhite         1-9         .100

2009-12 David Gregory      13-27     .325

2013-14 Justin Ridge            5-16      .238

2015-17 Shad                        5-27     .156

39 Seasons   11 Coaches  146-261  .358

The way I see it before the recession hit in 2008 the team had a .401 winning percentage but since it has had a .233 winning percentage in the last ten years to drop it to .358

Earl McMahan and Scott Meadows has had the most success at WB and there are the numbers to prove it. If you were wanting three more good coaches out of that bunch I would say Mike White for one because he did have a tough battle taking two single A teams , one which was decent and the other was not so good and throwing them in AAA with the big boys.

John Reid has had a good career at Alcoa and now in Georgia coaching winning teams. Steve Fickert may have been the next best since he did coach at Maryville College but his departure left a bad taste in everyone's mouth is the only thing. Hate to say it but Shad should be in that five but nothing to show for these past three years but then again Rome wasn't built in a day.

Edited by BarneySox2007

Kinda funny that this thread continues to live on like a one of the zombies from Walking Dead. There's just as many pages in this thread as William Blount football wins since 2009.... Sheesh! A ton of off season discussion for a team that's perpetually in the off season.

Edited by JSamson7

20 minutes ago, JSamson7 said:

Kinda funny that this thread continues to live on like a one of the zombies from Walking Dead. There's just as many pages in this thread as William Blount football wins since 2009.... Sheesh! A ton of off season discussion for a team that's perpetually in the off season.

I guess when you think about it we all look like someone taking turns on here trying to blow life into a cadaver.

9 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

If you were wanting three more good coaches out of that bunch I would say Mike White for one because he did have a tough battle taking two single A teams , one which was decent and the other was not so good and throwing them in AAA with the big boys.

Which one was decent and which one was not so good?

12 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

1979-87   Mike White         31-59       .344

1988-94   Steve Gordon    23-48       .323

1995-98   Steve Fickert      13-28       .317

1999-01  Earl McMahan    20-15       .571

2002        John Reid              5-6          .454

2003       Ronnie Phelps      5-6          .454

2004-7   Scott Meadows    25-20      .555

2008      Richie Wilhite         1-9         .100

2009-12 David Gregory      13-27     .325

2013-14 Justin Ridge            5-16      .238

2015-17 Shad                        5-27     .156

39 Seasons   11 Coaches  146-261  .358

The way I see it before the recession hit in 2008 the team had a .401 winning percentage but since it has had a .233 winning percentage in the last ten years to drop it to .358

Earl McMahan and Scott Meadows has had the most success at WB and there are the numbers to prove it. If you were wanting three more good coaches out of that bunch I would say Mike White for one because he did have a tough battle taking two single A teams , one which was decent and the other was not so good and throwing them in AAA with the big boys.

John Reid has had a good career at Alcoa and now in Georgia coaching winning teams. Steve Fickert may have been the next best since he did coach at Maryville College but his departure left a bad taste in everyone's mouth is the only thing. Hate to say it but Shad should be in that five but nothing to show for these past three years but then again Rome wasn't built in a day.

That’s gooder info, thanks BS. I would go with Earl, Reid, Meadows, White, and Fickert - in that order. Jury still out on Shad.

12 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

Which one was decent and which one was not so good?

Friendsville did have a very good year in their last season with an 8-3 record and Lanier was 6-4 the same year. Lanier didn't start football until 1947 and because the school was so small it was hard to get that many kids out for football. Friendsville started in 1954 and played 25 years of football with a record of 103-129-10. During the same 25 years Lanier was 120-114-12.  If we go back to 1950 Lanier was 127-137-14. Lanier also was 14-9-2 in their 25 year history with Friendsville. Lanier in all the time they played football until 1958 didn't even have a home field and played all their games away. If you look at the last three years Friendsville was 2-8,1-9 and 8-3. Lanier was 9-2, 8-2 and 6-4. Friendsville was 11-20 and Lanier 23-8. Lanier's first football team in 1947 in the picture below. 6h5ct3.jpg

5 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Friendsville did have a very good year in their last season with an 8-3 record and Lanier was 6-4 the same year. Lanier didn't start football until 1947 and because the school was so small it was hard to get that many kids out for football. Friendsville started in 1954 and played 25 years of football with a record of 103-129-10. During the same 25 years Lanier was 120-114-12.  If we go back to 1950 Lanier was 127-137-14. Lanier also was 14-9-2 in their 25 year history with Friendsville. Lanier in all the time they played football until 1958 didn't even have a home field and played all their games away. If you look at the last three years Friendsville was 2-8,1-9 and 8-3. Lanier was 9-2, 8-2 and 6-4. Friendsville was 11-20 and Lanier 23-8. Lanier's first football team in 1947 in the picture below. 6h5ct3.jpg

good stuff Barn....:thumb: