William blount offseason thread

On 6/16/2018 at 11:03 PM, TheGuvna said:

Rumor is Shad is hiring an assistant to run the offense so he can focus on the defensive side of the ball. This should be interesting and it will tell the tale on Shad's coaching ability. If the defense comes out and doesn't show any improvement this year we will know for sure Shad cant get it done at WB.

Heard Shad hired Tony Shultz. Shultz is former head coach at Cumberland Co., and has spent the last few years in administration at Eagleton Middle. Have you heard anything about him being hired?

4 hours ago, HSfootballfanatic12 said:

Heard Shad hired Tony Shultz. Shultz is former head coach at Cumberland Co., and has spent the last few years in administration at Eagleton Middle. Have you heard anything about him being hired?

That’s a good hire in LA. Can’t hurt.

I just saw where Shultz went 1-29 in his last three seasons at Cumberland County.  Why does that not surprise me? 

So, let me get this straight... You want to rebuild a program at rock bottom, and you hire a coach who ran a program into the ground to accomplish that goal? Makes sense....

What a joke... They spent money to pretty up the stadium and will have fireworks and fog machines this year, but there is no commitment to having a decent team on the field.

I have had it. I will not be putting myself through the misery of watching another WB football game until the administration makes a commitment to winning.

That commitment is just not there right now. Fog machines, firework shows, painted bleachers and new sound systems do not win football games.

Coaching staffs who know how to put a decent defense on the field and DONT take a whole week off of practice in the middle of the season win football games.

Edited by TheGuvna

12 hours ago, TheGuvna said:

I just saw where Shultz went 1-29 in his last three seasons at Cumberland County.  Why does that not surprise me? 

So, let me get this straight... You want to rebuild a program at rock bottom, and you hire a coach who ran a program into the ground to accomplish that goal? Makes sense....

What a joke... They spent money to pretty up the stadium and will have fireworks and fog machines this year, but there is no commitment to having a decent team on the field.

I have had it. I will not be putting myself through the misery of watching another WB football game until the administration makes a commitment to winning.

That commitment is just not there right now. Fog machines, firework shows, painted bleachers and new sound systems do not win football games.

Coaching staffs who know how to put a decent defense on the field and DONT take a whole week off of practice in the middle of the season win football games.

I've seen a lot of guys that just fell on their faces as head coach that actually are real good assistant coaches. Maryville's defensive coach was head coach at Lenior City and had some real bad records as well but he has done pretty well as an assistant. Sometimes schools like that are infected with politics so bad no one would ever have a chance to win. I know LC is like that and I wouldn't be surprised if Cumberland isn't the same way.

On 6/14/2018 at 2:21 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

Barney plans on going to the big yard sale on July 13th and 14th to check out all the hot women with their summer teeth. {Summer there, some ain't}.

qqy9op.jpg

Reckon you might find some good deals on building supplies?  

4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I've seen a lot of guys that just fell on their faces as head coach that actually are real good assistant coaches. Maryville's defensive coach was head coach at Lenior City and had some real bad records as well but he has done pretty well as an assistant. Sometimes schools like that are infected with politics so bad no one would ever have a chance to win. I know LC is like that and I wouldn't be surprised if Cumberland isn't the same way.

Barney,

There is a world of difference between the situations at Maryville and William Blount. The coach you are talking about walked into a situation where he got to learn from the best coaching staff in the state, but the new WB coach is walking into a situation where the team won 1 game last year and he won 1 game in his last 3 years of coaching. That doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me.

Edited by TheGuvna

3 hours ago, TheGuvna said:

Barney,

There is a world of difference between the situations at Maryville and William Blount. The coach you are talking about walked into a situation where he got to learn from the best coaching staff in the state, but the new WB coach is walking into a situation where the team won 1 game last year and he won 1 game in his last 3 years of coaching. That doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me.

Might have been their only option. Blount County might have made some nice upgrades to the facilities mainly because they had no choices. WB and Heritage stadiums were falling apart but you noticed they left it up to the boosters to raise money to upgrade those lockers. That should tell you right there the county could care less about the football program. I have to tip my hat to the fans there for jumping in and all the great fund raisers they have had. Far as football is concerned the team and coaches are on their own. My pre season prediction is 3-7 with some decent games against 2 or 3 other teams. The road to recovery might still take 2 or 3 more years but they will accomplish that this year. Those wins will be against Lenior City, Heritage and Stone Memorial.

13 hours ago, TheGuvna said:

Also,

I was told it's my fault that WB is in bad shape because I talk bad about the program on coacht. 

12 hours ago, rebelwoman87 said:

That’s ridiculous... You have been the biggest supporter of WB for years. 

I agree with RW87.  91 and I don't always agree on things but no one can say you've not done more than you fair share to help the WB program.

Was the person that said that implying that they had never had any problems before Coach T started? Hmmm. Enturesten.

91, I guess you are just supposed to be all hunky dory when your team sucks year in and year out? That isn't a fan, at all. Being a fan means you want your team to succeed at all costs. You aren't content with below average football. I reckon they are. Nothing wrong with what you say on here. I would be the same way with The Ridge if we sucked for most of our existence. A program succeeds when you get enough fans of said program who strive for excellence, not sitting back and being content with mediocrity.

Edited by SweetScience