#1 Oakland @ #1 Maryville

GoPats2019

Everyone in the Mid-State that I've talked to is taking Oakland in this one, and I'm not sure why. Maryville was missing their QB and some key players on defense and still almost beat Oakland in the first meeting this year. Oakland has been playing lights out, but Maryville is still Maryville. It would be an upset for sure if the Patriots leave East TN with a victory on Friday night. I've said all along that this Oakland team is a year away, and I think that holds true this week. Maryville 24 Oakland 21

6 minutes ago, AllRegion said:

Everyone in the Mid-State that I've talked to is taking Oakland in this one, and I'm not sure why. Maryville was missing their QB and some key players on defense and still almost beat Oakland in the first meeting this year. Oakland has been playing lights out, but Maryville is still Maryville. It would be an upset for sure if the Patriots leave East TN with a victory on Friday night. I've said all along that this Oakland team is a year away, and I think that holds true this week. Maryville 24 Oakland 21

You must be talking to different people than I do because most of the ones I talk to are talking Maryville. 

I do want to say one thing. Everybody is talking about how many starters Maryville was missing and so on. However, Oakland was in game #2 of nearly replacing the entire starting lineup on both sides of the ball. I'm not sure who wins this game, but to be picking Maryville just because Hopkins is playing (when his past performances in these type of games is anything but stellar) is pretty silly, IMO. Oakland may very well be a year away but what I know is they straight killed two really good offenses in back to back weeks

2 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

You must be talking to different people than I do because most of the ones I talk to are talking Maryville. 

I do want to say one thing. Everybody is talking about how many starters Maryville was missing and so on. However, Oakland was in game #2 of nearly replacing the entire starting lineup on both sides of the ball. I'm not sure who wins this game, but to be picking Maryville just because Hopkins is playing (when his past performances in these type of games is anything but stellar) is pretty silly, IMO. Oakland may very well be a year away but what I know is they straight killed two really good offenses in back to back weeks

That's a very good point...Oakland had a TON to replace, and I am honestly surprised with how well they have reloaded. I didn't expect them to be at 13-0 again with a very real chance to run the table. That's a credit to Creasy and his staff (which is one of the best in the entire state). There are a couple of people at Oakland that aren't my favorites, but I love Kevin Creasy and respect the heck out of him. 

However, it was also Maryville's second game without the best coach in the history of TN HS football, and they were in adjustment period as well. Also, I don't think it's silly to state that the absence (or lack thereof) of a D1 QB would be a deciding factor in a very close game between two evenly matched teams. 

16 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

But somehow Hopkins is still a finalist for Mr Fooball   :huh:

• Like 1