3A Semi-Final - Covington @ Pearl-Cohn

CHARGERFAN

30 minutes ago, FBfan26 said:

Brief summary we mosty make the playoffs every year. Past 4-8 years we have really been peaking. We mostly make it to the semis especially the past couple years. Our coaching staff also coached in a state championship game in 2014.  Also coach got his 100 win last night

Is this y'all's first year in 3a?

Covington has had a good year, but I think it will come to an end this week. Would love to see a team from west tennessee make it to the state championship game in 3A but it will be tough to beat PC in nashville. Going to have to mix in a lot more pass to beat PC. I think it will be a good game, but PC will get the best of covington in the end. 

8 hours ago, lincoln said:

If this is how this thread is going to go all week with this silly @## talk then it just needs to be deleted.  Two really good teams will play Friday.  PC seems to be the favorite over my chargers.  From what I know they are really good football team and should have the edge.  They are at home in the Semi-finals with a Mr. Football Finalist and plenty other athletes to go a long.  Definitely be a huge challenge but one we will be ready for no doubt 

If Covington fans stay cool of course PC will. We only respond to other people talking crazy to us, we never start it. Let's talk football no problem with that!

3 hours ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

If Covington fans stay cool of course PC will. We only respond to other people talking crazy to us, we never start it. Let's talk football no problem with that!

I will start off the football talk. PC has speed that rare in 3A football and have size to go with it. They play a tough schedule every year and have one of the best bands in the state. 

P.S. I’m not a PC fan but I try to pick out the best game in the Nashville area every week and have seen them play many times over the past few seasons. If Covington wins they will have to be good.

43 minutes ago, crow6424 said:

I will start off the football talk. PC has speed that rare in 3A football and have size to go with it. They play a tough schedule every year and have one of the best bands in the state. 

P.S. I’m not a PC fan but I try to pick out the best game in the Nashville area every week and have seen them play many times over the past few seasons. If Covington wins they will have to be good.

I don't know anything about Covington.

12 minutes ago, FBfan26 said:

Only thing I understand is that Covington runs about the same offense as Camden

Maybe a little better than camdens were still playing--lol. Played out of the shotgun last night our QB  was 4 for 4 with approx 180 passing yards I'm not sure how much we ran for last night. We try to control the ball and clock and not turn it over . Just hope we can compete with the athletes u guys have.

• Upvote 1

Covington runs a style of the wing-t. They have a qb that can throw it all over the field if he has to. They have the speed of the inner city Memphis schools, and some of the size of the county schools as well. They aren't the biggest team, but they have decent size. The OL is efficient, with a decent combo of size and speed. I heard from someone that the middle school runs the wing-t as well, so by now the kids certainly know what they are doing. They won't be put in a spot that they don't know what to do. Just a matter of doing it. I have been very impressed with them the 3 times I've seen them play this year. They have wins over larger schools in Crockett Co. and Brighton, who is still playing in 5A. I don't look for them to be intimidated by PC at all. 

I think it will be a very good game. I just thing PC will find a way to win at the end. 

11 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

One factor in this game will be coaching. Coach Marty Wheeler has played for the Gold Ball recently (2012). We lost to a talented Fulton team that year. You don't get back to Cookeville every year. It takes talent and senior leadership that you only get occasionally unless you are Alcoa.  I'm sure that he realizes the opportunity he has with this year's squad and will have our team fully prepared on the 24th.

As I recall, Coach Wheeler was also an assistant on a couple of Covington teams that made it to the championship game earlier in his career. He has the experience at this level. Playoff ball is special - win and you advance, lose and you go home. 

i don't know anything about PC's coach. Please comment.

Ask and you shall receive:

Marty Wheeler

2006-2017

84-54 Overall Record

11-7 Playoff Record

1 State Runner-Up

2 State Semifinals 

*this makes 3*

Tony Brunetti 

2006-2017

100-53 Overall Record

24-9 Playoff Record