Never too early...Who Wins Class A 2018-19 and why?

gogold

My observation of the season so far is that Greenfield probably has the best starting 5 in the state (I know I'm biased, but still).  We have 3, maybe even 4 girls that will go on to play in college somewhere, with 2 of them definitely going D-1.  What scares me about this years team though is our bench isn't as strong as last year.  Our bench consist of one junior that just started playing last year because she is 6 ft. and the coach talked her into playing, and a bunch of freshmen and eighth graders.  Once Edie Darby got hurt in the first game of the year, we struggled to have people to sub in to give the starters a break, as we only went 2 deep before she got hurt.  When Edie came back for the Crockett County game, we looked like a completely different team and she's not even back to 100% health yet.  Our season this year will come down to can we stay healthy and can we stay out of foul trouble.  Gibson County is the best single A team we have played so far this year.  They don't have any one player that can just take over a game, but they go probably about 10 deep with all 10 being able to hit 3's, handle the ball,  and play great defense.  I would like to get another shot at Gibson County in the Christmas tournament with us being back at full strength to see how we fair.  Either way though, it will be fun to see how the region shapes up this year.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JacketPride5 said:

My observation of the season so far is that Greenfield probably has the best starting 5 in the state (I know I'm biased, but still).  We have 3, maybe even 4 girls that will go on to play in college somewhere, with 2 of them definitely going D-1.  What scares me about this years team though is our bench isn't as strong as last year.  Our bench consist of one junior that just started playing last year because she is 6 ft. and the coach talked her into playing, and a bunch of freshmen and eighth graders.  Once Edie Darby got hurt in the first game of the year, we struggled to have people to sub in to give the starters a break, as we only went 2 deep before she got hurt.  When Edie came back for the Crockett County game, we looked like a completely different team and she's not even back to 100% health yet.  Our season this year will come down to can we stay healthy and can we stay out of foul trouble.  Gibson County is the best single A team we have played so far this year.  They don't have any one player that can just take over a game, but they go probably about 10 deep with all 10 being able to hit 3's, handle the ball,  and play great defense.  I would like to get another shot at Gibson County in the Christmas tournament with us being back at full strength to see how we fair.  Either way though, it will be fun to see how the region shapes up this year.

Greenfield is going to be tough.... Edie going down in the first game of the year, role players trying to figure out their role, Chloe and Tess playing with new players.... Greenfield will be tough to deal with in February and March. I'd be alright with a Greenfield versus Gibson County match-up for the state championship.

Edited by GCPioneer

14 hours ago, bobcatfan300 said:

The school's name is Clarkrange. To bring up Jackson Co because of their past is rediculous. They don't matter this year. 6A has Clay Co and Pickett Co, and those are who you should compare teams to. Clarkrange CRUSHED Dresden. 

I wouldn't brag about beating Dresden. You played a team that only had 6 suited up and 3 of those girls were sick or injured. Not to mention you played them after they had just played a game a hour before. Clarkrange is very good but their problem will be matching up with teams with size. They had no post game but for sure can light it up from the outside. The Monday twins are the team and probably two of the best in Single A right now.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:07 PM, bobcatfan300 said:

Who has 7-8 state championships? Clarkrange has 8, Pickett Co 5 and Jackson Co 4 in A and 4 in AA. I wasn't aware of any other teams with 7 or 8. Please post the team and years they won the state. (Later) I looked up state championships and Bradford has 6. Clarkange has 8 and has to be the favorite for #9. After Bradford,  Pickett Co 5, Jackson Co 4 (plus 4 in AA) and Gleason 3.

I was replying to the person that said they would like to see Clarkrange play "on a big court".   My response was they had 7-8 state championships and they had played on plenty of "big courts".   I know the history of basketball in this region and Clarkrange is definitely at the top of my class A rankings.  Don't let the loss to Stone fool you.  That is a HUGE AAA team that was picked first in our district preseason.   Cookeville has played the Buffaloes twice this summer and they are a very good team.  

32 minutes ago, AllVolHere said:

I wouldn't brag about beating Dresden. You played a team that only had 6 suited up and 3 of those girls were sick or injured. Not to mention you played them after they had just played a game a hour before. Clarkrange is very good but their problem will be matching up with teams with size. They had no post game but for sure can light it up from the outside. The Monday twins are the team and probably two of the best in Single A right now.

A previous poster said they only dressed seven players now  we are down to six players and three of those were sick. The Dresden team could dress 15 players and have everybody healthy and not be able to compete with Clarkrange. I guess the next one from over in West Tennessee will say they only played with four players and three of those were on crutches. Make no mistake about it Clarkrange will be a tough out. Now Greenfield in Gibson County are different animals. I think both of those two teams are very solid teams and have a legitimate chance to win the state championship. 

Edited by UCSportsFan

32 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

A previous poster said they only dressed seven players now  we are down to six players and three of those were sick. The Dresden team could dress 15 players and have everybody healthy and not be able to compete with Clarkrange. I guess the next one from over in West Tennessee will say they only played with four players and three of those were on crutches. Make no mistake about it Clarkrange will be a tough out. Now Greenfield in Gibson County are different animals. I think both of those two teams are very solid teams and have a legitimate chance to win the state championship. 

After watching Clarkrange get spanked last night by a mediocre Stone team, you might want to walk back some of that talk of teams not being able to compete with Clarkrange.   Away from home, they are very beatable. 

1 hour ago, UCSportsFan said:

Considering I was there I would know. They dressed 7 for Oneida game. One got hurt in the 3rd quarter of it. She didnt play against Clarkrange. Dresden is playing a lot better since their 3rd game as they are healing up. Clarkrange would have still beaten us but it wouldn't have been by the same margin. A lot of season left so good luck and hope to see ya at Murfreesboro!

17 hours ago, bobcatfan300 said:

For someone who thinks they know so much you can't even get the schools' names right. It is Clarkrange and Stone Memorial. Stone has two six foot two players. They play tough teams. If Greenfield is no better than last year, Clarkrange will do to them what they did to Dresden.

I completely agree with this! Greenfield is the same team as last year. Clarkrange has improved tremendously despite the loss to a good AAA program

Edited by Illuminati

5 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

Greenfield is going to be tough.... Edie going down in the first game of the year, role players trying to figure out their role, Chloe and Tess playing with new players.... Greenfield will be tough to deal with in February and March. I'd be alright with a Greenfield versus Gibson County match-up for the state championship.

Pioneer, I think you could very well be right.

Never before has a Class A team  (Greenfield's Darby & Moore) had two Miss Basketball nominations the same year and they are both are coming back for two more years.  Edie Darby has a great chance at being a Miss Basketball down the road as well. Three Division 1 players on a Class A team is rare.

Call me stupid but most people would call them the favorite this year after winning the Gold Ball last year but not the 6A bunch. I'm done ranting.  

Edited by Greenfieldfan

6 hours ago, JacketPride5 said:

Good post.

11 minutes ago, Greenfieldfan said:

Pioneer, I think you could very well be right.

Never before has a Class A team  (Greenfield's Darby & Moore) had two Miss Basketball nominations the same year and they are both are coming back for two more years.  Edie Darby has a great chance at being a Miss Basketball down the road as well. Three Division 1 players on a Class A team is rare.

Call me stupid but most people would call them the favorite this year after winning the Gold Ball last year but not the 6A bunch. I'm done ranting.  

Greenfield is not only the favorite they are the champs. Until defeated they are the team to beat.  

• Thanks 1