Never too early...Who Wins Class A 2018-19 and why?

gogold

33 minutes ago, Tez2319 said:

I feel like in a one or two game series this could possibly be true! I feel if any single A team was in our district/region 14AA or 7AA region I feel playing ya on a daily it will be different. In my opinion I know Gibson Co beat us(South Side) in their gym, but I will almost guarantee you it would be a completely different game at our house! We beat Greenfield twice on a neutral court. Both are good teams don’t get me wrong, but we play tougher competition 

South Side girls team is probably as close to a boys team around West TN as you will see. I just think when you handle the ball against their press and play some zone and keep them from getting to the rim it more than evens the playing field. I think Greenfield and GC both exposed South Side playing zone and handling the ball in our Christmas Tournament. Athlete for athlete though they are probably as athletic as any team in the state year in and year out.

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

South Side girls team is probably as close to a boys team around West TN as you will see. I just think when you handle the ball against their press and play some zone and keep them from getting to the rim it more than evens the playing field. I think Greenfield and GC both exposed South Side playing zone and handling the ball in our Christmas Tournament. Athlete for athlete though they are probably as athletic as any team in the state year in and year out.

I agree Southside is the most athletic team we have faced. We tried to  run with Southside for  3 qtrs. and were down 18 and then finally backed off and played them half court the last qtr and only lost by 2 and missed a 3 to win it.  Edie Darby played but it was her first game back from wearing a boot for a month.  We are a much better team now than at Christmas.

Edited by Greenfieldfan

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

Yea I agree we are the closest girls team that plays close to the boys level. Just sometimes I feel the refs are not use to seeing girls play physical like we do. Don’t get me wrong we foul, but we get a lot a lot of bogus calls but that’s part of the game. Good luck to y’all the rest of the way! West Tn ball!! 

21 minutes ago, Greenfieldfan said:

I agree Southside is the most athletic team we have faced. We tried to  run with Southside for  3 qtrs. and were down 18 and then finally backed off and played them half court the last qtr and only lost by 2 and missed a 3 to win it.  Edie Darby played but it was her first game back from wearing a boot for a month.  We are a much better team now than at Christmas.

Yea I was at that game. We are playing much better now as well!  We had a lot of teams play us zone & we shot them out of whatever zone they was in. We wasn’t knocking down shots in Gibson against y’all like we normally do. Chester beat us by 3 a month or so ago & came to South Side, they played zone & we beat them by almost 30. Shots was falling & we ran them out the gym! We are completely different & better since Christmas. Good luck to y’all the rest of the year! 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tez2319 said:

Yea I was at that game. We are playing much better now as well!  We had a lot of teams play us zone & we shot them out of whatever zone they was in. We wasn’t knocking down shots in Gibson against y’all like we normally do. Chester beat us by 3 a month or so ago & came to South Side, they played zone & we beat them by almost 30. Shots was falling & we ran them out the gym! We are completely different & better since Christmas. Good luck to y’all the rest of the year! 

Chester beating y’all makes me wonder... I watched the game at South Side and y’all shouldve beaten them 30 both times. They have no point guard play. 

Just now, GCPioneer said:

Chester beating y’all makes me wonder... I watched the game at South Side and y’all shouldve beaten them 30 both times. They have no point guard play. 

No need to wonder. We was in Chester Co!! That should tell it all. We didn’t shoot the ball well that game but we also had at least 10-15 very questionable calls. It’s basketball you never leave any game in the refs hands & the better team win majority of the team. The better team wins not the home team that the coach husband is the AD of the school & he also assignes all referees in west tn. I will just leave that there. 

50 minutes ago, Greenfieldfan said:

No doubt brother. You hadn't got to sell me on Greenfield. I know the Darby girls are good and all but we know what makes the engine run. Just like we had great players when we won it in 2009-2010, Butler was the one driving the bus as is Moore for you guys. No disrespect to the Darby's because they are really special but PG's like Moore don't come around every year. You guys are the champs until someone knocks you out.

Edited by pioneer42
  • Thanks 1

I’m not dishing on Chloe I know what she can do. Chloe Moore can score anytime she wants but I feel like she is settling for the 3. She is a good shooter but when the game is on the line I like her carrying it to the hole.  Last year I watched her some nights score 30 by driving to the basket and I haven’t seen a team yet that can shut her down.  She can penetrate almost anytime and she sees the floor well.  She’s a big time player and can probably go to a SEC school and play.

Tess Darby has improved her game this year by averaging 10 rebounds a game and playing in the paint more  and still getting 20 pts. She can still shoot the 3 but she’s scoring more inside now.

When a class A team has three Div 1 players that is pretty rare surely for a school like Greenfield. We only have 180 students in all high school and are one of the smaller schools in Class A. If you live by the 3 you will die by the 3 some nights when they just don’t fall.

I know the GC team Butler, Reedy and your post player (her name slips my mind) was special as well and had a lot of talent. Coach McMillan was an awesome coach that made them work and get better. That was a very good team. 

Edited by Greenfieldfan

1 hour ago, Greenfieldfan said:

Greenfield 65

Dresden 50

Greenfield turned it on the 4 quarter, we had an off night but came back to win. Dresden (#3 seed) is better than early season and could pull an upset in tourney.  Dresden plays a rough brand of basketball but we survived with no injuries. 

It was a great first half of basketball for Dresden. They really battled to the end.  The one thing that I would like Chloe to do is drive the basketball more. She had so many opportunities to just take it to the hoop, but settled for a jumper. I know when you are open you want to shoot the ball, but if your game is taking it to the basket, then why don't you do it. I know Chloe drove it some in the second half but she needs to do it more. I think Dresden is improved since their loss against Gleason and they are starting to play like the Dresden of old. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rebelman101 said:

It was a great first half of basketball for Dresden. They really battled to the end.  The one thing that I would like Chloe to do is drive the basketball more. She had so many opportunities to just take it to the hoop, but settled for a jumper. I know when you are open you want to shoot the ball, but if your game is taking it to the basket, then why don't you do it. I know Chloe drove it some in the second half but she needs to do it more. I think Dresden is improved since their loss against Gleason and they are starting to play like the Dresden of old. 

You summed it up well. Chloe can score at will if she just takes it to the hole. Chloe can shoot layups or she gets fouled every time she takes in inside.  We missed a lot of shots tonight. We played one good quarter, just glad it was the 4th.

Edited by Greenfieldfan

13 minutes ago, Greenfieldfan said:

You summed it up well. Chloe can score at will if she just takes it to the hole. Chloe can shoot layups or she gets fouled every time she takes in inside.  We missed a lot of shots tonight. We played one good quarter, just glad it was the 4th.

Yea 2 for 10 from the three point line in the first half is not a good showing. Y'all shot much better in the 2nd half. Chloe wants to be unselfish and get her teammates a good shot. But, when your team is not knocking down the three, you have to do something else.  The Greenfield games I watched last year, Chloe was deadly taking to the basket and that's what she is known for. That's just something that she needs to continue to do. On the other hand, Dresden made it very hard for the lady jackets to get anything going on the offensive end, which made them settle for threes. Watch out for Dresden in the postseason. They are getting better and better by the game.