West Carroll @ Dresden

HevyReturns

I've gone to these other 1A schools (current & previous ones) in various parts of state, and I see things there and think: That's nice! ...Cool! ...Sweet set up! ...Lookee there!.. etc., and I can't help but think, Why can't Dresden have this too in our sports programs? We are one of largest 1A schools, and the smallest 2A schools (in current classifications) are near us and they used to be in our 1A Region as well. So if they can do this & have it, why not us?... Thus, my wish list:

• A "full-time", sports program broadcasters & network (radio, internet, phone in listening, even live streaming) that covers all Lions & Lady Lions events.

• Separate, dedicated football dressing rooms for opponents. (Not doubling up another room for visiting team which is normally  used for other things, like weightroom).

• On visitors side of stadium have better & more  seating/stands, with a separate parking lot, entrance, concession stands, & rest rooms for our guests on their side.

• Running track that encircles football field for track & field teams. 

• Wireless, digital sideline-clock device for the official timekeeper on the field, with a seconds display on each end of field the QB's can see. 

• Prominent display board on visitors & home side which show winning records of former teams, how far they went in playoffs and the wins & achievents & awards of that team's season, plus honors & awards bestowed upon individual players. Have such a "success board"/"honor wall" for the other sports as well, displaying it at their gyms, fields, venues, etc.

•New, modern  lights & metal poles (not wooden) installed  at football/track stadium.

• Our sports teams/departments get at least half of the gate & concessions profits/monies, which will help fund these improvements, and other future  projects (like a really nice, modern, improved fieldhouse, weight room & shower facilities).

• A marching band for Lion students to participate in. Others schools have some sharp, nice bands, and Dresden not having one is inexcusable in my estimation.

~~ Well, this is my rant & wish list for Santa Claus, or some wealthy benefactor(s) to make come true. If I ever came into a windfall of lots of money, these things would be on my list of how to invest it. I think all this would also be a drawcard to help pull-in new families into our area, help establish an atmosphere & culture of success, winning, & pride among our school, sports teams, and community & fans. And visiting teams & fans would look forward to playing here (no matter what it smells like... ssuuuueeeeee!)

--deep sigh-- Oh well, it doesn't hurt to dream & wish, does it?

GO LIONS! #1 ALL THE WAY, IN EVERY WAY!

14 minutes ago, HevyReturns said:

I've gone to these other 1A schools (current & previous ones) in various parts of state, and I see things there and think: That's nice! ...Cool! ...Sweet set up! ...Lookee there!.. etc., and I can't help but think, Why can't Dresden have this too in our sports programs? We are one of largest 1A schools, and the smallest 2A schools (in current classifications) are near us and they used to be in our 1A Region as well. So if they can do this & have it, why not us?... Thus, my wish list:

• A "full-time", sports program broadcasters & network (radio, internet, phone in listening, even live streaming) that covers all Lions & Lady Lions events.

• Separate, dedicated football dressing rooms for opponents. (Not doubling up another room for visiting team which is normally  used for other things, like weightroom).

• On visitors side of stadium have better & more  seating/stands, with a separate parking lot, entrance, concession stands, & rest rooms for our guests on their side.

• Wireless, digital sideline-clock device for the official timekeeper on the field, with a seconds display on each end of field the QB's can see. 

• Prominent display board on visitors & home side which show winning records of former teams, how far they went in playoffs and the wins & achievents & awards of that team's season, plus honors & awards bestowed upon individual players. Have such a "success board"/"honor wall" for the other sports as well, displaying it at their gyms, fields, venues, etc.

•New, modern  lights & metal poles (not wooden) installed  at football/track stadium.

• Our sports teams/departments get at least half of the gate & concessions profits/monies, which will help fund these improvements, and other future  projects (like a really nice, modern, improved fieldhouse, weight room & shower facilities).

• A marching band for Lion students to participate in. Others schools have some sharp, nice bands, and Dresden not having one is inexcusable in my estimation.

~~ Well, this is my rant & wish list for Santa Claus, or some wealthy benefactor(s) to make come true. If I ever came into a windfall of lots of money, these things would be on my list of how to invest it. I think all this would also be a drawcard to help pull-in new families into our area, help establish an atmosphere & culture of success, winning, & pride among our school, sports teams, and community & fans. And visiting teams & fans would look forward to playing here (no matter what it smells like... ssuuuueeeeee!)

You need to move to Hntingdon and live happily ever after !

That's because the school administration cares about the football program at Huntingdon. Dresden's football is just a necessary evil for school administrators. If it wasn't for parents starting the QB club several years back the football team wouldn't have crap. Then throw in 90% of concession stand income going to rotary club and you get what you have. Don't get me started there. Unless they have changed the lighting for the field the electric company refused to change bulbs because the poles were so unsafe. You would think the club who has their name on the field would come up with the money to fix this stuff before they get someone killed. Blood pressure up now, dangit. Go Lions!!!!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ysoangry said:

That's because the school administration cares about the football program at Huntingdon. Dresden's football is just a necessary evil for school administrators. If it wasn't for parents starting the QB club several years back the football team wouldn't have crap. Then throw in 90% of concession stand income going to rotary club and you get what you have. Don't get me started there. Unless they have changed the lighting for the field the electric company refused to change bulbs because the poles were so unsafe. You would think the club who has their name on the field would come up with the money to fix this stuff before they get someone killed. Blood pressure up now, dangit. Go Lions!!!!

Nope! Lights are still as you left them. You'd think after winning a state championship in 2016, they would want to make more improvements but the only thing that gets done is what the QB Club is able to do & what McWherter money paid for.

• Upvote 1

I’ve been to just about every single football facility in West TN so I have seen a lot & been through a lot. In relation to newness, accessibility, and atmosphere, I think it falls in this order...

3) Union City

2) Huntingdon

1) Peabody 

Going to a game at any of these stadiums is quite a pleasant experience in my book. I put Peabody at 1 because of how much space you have there. Plenty of parking, plenty of seating, & very accessible bathrooms & concessions. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, FightingBlue0 said:

I’ve been to just about every single football facility in West TN so I have seen a lot & been through a lot. In relation to newness, accessibility, and atmosphere, I think it falls in this order...

3) Union City

2) Huntingdon

1) Peabody 

Going to a game at any of these stadiums is quite a pleasant experience in my book. I put Peabody at 1 because of how much space you have there. Plenty of parking, plenty of seating, & very accessible bathrooms & concessions. 

And if I am correct Trenton is a quarter the size of Huntingdon  and U.c, population  of 3600

It's not probable, maybe not even possible with the  current folk & decision makers who are in place,  but still I think of these improvements I mentioned earlier  happening here. One never knows, a wealthy person may make such listed hopes a reality. Winning silver & gold, beating Westview, & having a consistently competitive & making playoff  football team here in Dresden was thought impossible. Yet here we are. (One monkey left on Lions back we must get rid of.. and that's beating Huntingdon, when they're at their best, & do so convincingly. It was "impossible" in most people's minds for us to beat the worthy Falcons this year like we did, yet it happened. So I say, being the incurable optimist that I am, I'm still believing anything is possible, even here in Dresden. 

GO LIONS! #1 ALL THE WAY, EVERY DAY, IN EVERY WAY! :-D

On 9/5/2018 at 2:57 PM, HevyReturns said:

I have often wondered why Dresden didn’t have a band. I realize most of the time it has to do with money or support. You guys seem to have the support. There are many smaller schools that have a band. At least a pep band. 

• CoachT locked this topic