2019 Rockvale Rockets Inaugural Season

CoachT

On 7/16/2019 at 5:23 PM, MidTennFootball said:

If they go 5-5, Rice should be COY. It's really hard to be competitive in Year 1. So many variables to account for. Even with a favor schedule 3-4 wins would be a good season

You are correct. I believe there are 105 kids on the team and 86 are Fresh/Soph's. That's 82%. Also the starting QB (right now) is a Soph and was a WR at Riverdale. He's picking up things quick but he's a WR playing QB at this point. He needs the game reps to progress. Right now before contact most of the starters are going to be Sophs. Throw in only a handful of weeks in pads before the season kicksoff without any spring practice.  A 5 win season would be strong in a tough region in the top class with all things considered. Give 'em three years and I believe they'll be competing on a consistent basis.

5 minutes ago, SamMojo said:

You are correct. I believe there are 105 kids on the team and 86 are Fresh/Soph's. That's 82%. Also the starting QB (right now) is a Soph and was a WR at Riverdale. He's picking up things quick but he's a WR playing QB at this point. He needs the game reps to progress. Right now before contact most of the starters are going to be Sophs. Throw in only a handful of weeks in pads before the season kicksoff without any spring practice.  A 5 win season would be strong in a tough region in the top class with all things considered. Give 'em three years and I believe they'll be competing on a consistent basis.

I agree. Might even say year 2 because RuCo isn't as strong as it used to be. Encouraging that they have big classes for freshman and sophs

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2019 at 7:44 AM, GWAVE1 said:

How are they doing the enrollment at Rockvale?  Do you have to go if your a senior/junior or is it an option to leave your former school?  I remember playing Stewart’s Creek early in their first couple of seasons and they had a ton of underclassmen and very very few seniors.  That in itself could be an indication of how well Rockvale will do early on.  I think Gallatin will be their first true scrimmage of the fall.  

Sr's didn't have to move schools nor did collegiate academy students at Blackman and Oakland. This year will be very heavy soph participation. As far as scrimmages go, I believe the Wave are the 1st one. Sounds like it'll be 2 scrimmages and a jamboree then LaVergne 1st game. Looking forward to the season but it's going to be a big learning curve.

13 hours ago, cbg said:

Coach Rice is a great guy but is finishing in the Top 4 of your region (is that not what it takes to qualify for the playoffs?) really having a good season?  Just asking because I remember when you had to win your district to advance to the playoffs.

Ahhh, the good ole days of having to win the district to move on to the playoffs (only 3 classes by the way). I played on a strong Covington team in the mid-80's that only gave up 55 points all year long and still missed the playoffs in 3A because we finished 2nd. Man! Definitely too many classes today and too many teams in the playoffs but I guess it's better than missing out if you finish 2nd.

9 hours ago, SamMojo said:

Ahhh, the good ole days of having to win the district to move on to the playoffs (only 3 classes by the way). I played on a strong Covington team in the mid-80's that only gave up 55 points all year long and still missed the playoffs in 3A because we finished 2nd. Man! Definitely too many classes today and too many teams in the playoffs but I guess it's better than missing out if you finish 2nd.

I played in the District of the AAA State Champs, two out of my three varsity years. These younger people wonder why some stadiums have signs that say "Playoffs" with the year. It was a big deal to get into the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SamMojo said:

Sr's didn't have to move schools nor did collegiate academy students at Blackman and Oakland. This year will be very heavy soph participation. As far as scrimmages go, I believe the Wave are the 1st one. Sounds like it'll be 2 scrimmages and a jamboree then LaVergne 1st game. Looking forward to the season but it's going to be a big learning curve.

Looking forward to see Rockvale for the first time.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out about this school and I have been seeing positive things. I'm just wondering who's going to be on the end of the stick when one of these 3 schools starts losing more and more kids. Also wondering will one of the school end up dropping down a Classification eventually

37 minutes ago, FBfan26 said:

Just found out about this school and I have been seeing positive things. I'm just wondering who's going to be on the end of the stick when one of these 3 schools starts losing more and more kids. Also wondering will one of the school end up dropping down a Classification eventually

At the rate Murfreesboro/RuCo is growing, I don't think you'll see any school dropping a class if we stay at 6 classes

• Thanks 1

LONG range plans call for two more high schools.  That is IF we can slow down the current rate of influx.  If not we will have to build and PAY for more.  That does not count all the elementary and middle schools to go with them.

Frankly I wish we would tell the developers to stick it and post a FULL UP sign at all entrances to the county.

Edited by Lost Old Dad
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Surprised that Rockvale had that many fans at a scrimmage.  Good work put in until the lightning delay.  Never really got to see too much of the younger guys.  The Rockvale QB has a lot of potential and will be one to keep an eye on.  Those younger guys are gonna have to step it up to keep up with the Rutherford Co schools.  I could see maybe a couple of wins this first year.  

11 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

Surprised that Rockvale had that many fans at a scrimmage.  Good work put in until the lightning delay.  Never really got to see too much of the younger guys.  The Rockvale QB has a lot of potential and will be one to keep an eye on.  Those younger guys are gonna have to step it up to keep up with the Rutherford Co schools.  I could see maybe a couple of wins this first year.  

How did the Green guys look