Greeneville @ Powell

DevilMan03

12 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Batman - everybody seems to be going with the "first game jitters" but I don't know.... if you are a championship team you just cannot play with that kind of undisciplined non-focus.   And I am talking about BOTH teams.    The 90%, teams who never make it in the playoffs, sure, I expect a bunch of first game mistakes.    But good night, how many procedure penalties did we see?    Too many to count?     When you hear this in the huddle...... "OK GUYS, THE SNAP IS ON 4"....   What part of that are they not getting !!!!     Why are they going on 3 ?????

Like I said.UGLY...However,both teams were going against guys that would knock your block off .It's was easy for me to be sitting at home and get mad about those things but I wasn't the one getting hit on every play.The worst thing that happened to Batman was I ran out of popcorn !

very sloppy game both sides .. but i guess all they had to thru to play --i had picked 28-14 Powell  -- Powell definately the better team ... I think this  Greeneville team lacking that toughness that Coach Ballard  gave them ... this may be the worst team for the Devils in over 10 years ..  Powell should go on and  compete with West for the title but I think Powell goes to semi's in state at worst .. they have a ton of seniors  who play alot ... so this is their year ...  i changed channels and watched baseball ( and baseball is boring) but this game with all the penalties ..I couldnt stomach  it ...  but I watched enough to know the better team won and Greeneville has some issues for sure . 

1 hour ago, Tadvols said:

very sloppy game both sides .. but i guess all they had to thru to play --i had picked 28-14 Powell  -- Powell definately the better team ... I think this  Greeneville team lacking that toughness that Coach Ballard  gave them ... this may be the worst team for the Devils in over 10 years ..  Powell should go on and  compete with West for the title but I think Powell goes to semi's in state at worst .. they have a ton of seniors  who play alot ... so this is their year ...  i changed channels and watched baseball ( and baseball is boring) but this game with all the penalties ..I couldnt stomach  it ...  but I watched enough to know the better team won and Greeneville has some issues for sure . 

I completely disagree.  Powell was not definitely the better team. The game goes down to the wire.  Greeneville did have a TD called back in the game if I remember correctly. However, a win is a win and Powell won simple as that.  Either way that little ole 4a school from Greene County was right there toe to toe with that 5a down in Rocky-Top...  I think you only make those comments because you’re jealous of the success Greene has had.  Oh, and I almost forgot to ask you Tadvol. How's your team finished the last 2 years and the last decade??  Please let us know.  Greeneville will be ready come Cookeville time!  Where will you probably be during that time, probably still on here making your same old comments.  

Powell looked as good as advertised.  They should make a great run this year, but they are going to have to go through some other strong teams - Knox Central, Oak Ridge, and don’t go to sleep on South Doyle.   Congrats again to Powell and good luck with the rest of your season.

Edited by Romansfive8

If I were a fan or player of another 4A team watching the Devils last night,I'd probably be thinking a few things.First would be that I'd just watched a  beatable Greeneville team start to grow up in the very first game of the season.second thing is these Devils are not going to quit.The third thing is they are tough as hail and playing against them will be an all out war...As a former Devil linebacker,I couldn't be more proud of how tough Youngblood is at that position.He showed that even more when he took that big hit and got up last night.Anybody can dish it out but it takes a man to get hit that hard and bounce back up.I like this team and think if they stay healthy and continue to grow,they will be a load come playoff time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tadvols said:

One point I agree with and the other points you are oblivious Tadvols and should have watched the entire game instead of switching over to baseball.

I agree that it was a Sloppy game on both sides and thats about it with what you said.

You say Powell was definitely the better team which if you watched the entire game you would have seen the game could have went either way and Greeneville had a change to win it with less than a min to go in the game.  Both teams were evenly matched (Total Yards for Greeneville 229 vs 226 for Powell. Powell threw the ball for 114 yards on 17 passes and Greeneville threw the ball for 114 yards on 17 passes.  Powell rushed the ball 40 times for 112 yards compared to 41 rushes by the Devils for 115 yards) you can't be more evenly matched than that.

I wouldn't say Greeneville has lost their toughness when you saw the fight in that team that could have folded up after fumbling the ball on their first drive of the 2nd half inside their own 5 yard line for a quick Powell Score and going down 12 to 3.  After the Half the Greeneville D only gave up 62 total yards of offense 

So Powell goes to the semi's at state at worst but now this is Greeneville's worst team you think in over 10 years?  What does that say about Powell or 5a football then?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Swipes said:

One point I agree with and the other points you are oblivious Tadvols and should have watched the entire game instead of switching over to baseball.

I agree that it was a Sloppy game on both sides and thats about it with what you said.

You say Powell was definitely the better team which if you watched the entire game you would have seen the game could have went either way and Greeneville had a change to win it with less than a min to go in the game.  Both teams were evenly matched (Total Yards for Greeneville 229 vs 226 for Powell. Powell threw the ball for 114 yards on 17 passes and Greeneville threw the ball for 114 yards on 17 passes.  Powell rushed the ball 40 times for 112 yards compared to 41 rushes by the Devils for 115 yards) you can't be more evenly matched than that.

I wouldn't say Greeneville has lost their toughness when you saw the fight in that team that could have folded up after fumbling the ball on their first drive of the 2nd half inside their own 5 yard line for a quick Powell Score and going down 12 to 3.  After the Half the Greeneville D only gave up 62 total yards of offense 

So Powell goes to the semi's at state at worst but now this is Greeneville's worst team you think in over 10 years?  What does that say about Powell or 5a football then?

Tad is just another jealous hater since Fulton isn’t doing so hot past couple years.

My take on the game is pretty simple both schools have great teams and were evenly matched.  Stats wise Gregg had a better game than Trusley at QB.  Greeneville has to sure up their O line (I know Coach Bentley will be on them to do so).  Greeneville returned one starting O-line off of last years team and have a lot of young players that need to step up and mature quickly.  We missed Tommy (UVA-Wise), Devin (Who transferred  to South Greene), Shipley (ETSU), and Knight (3 time state wrestling champ and a d1 wrestler now) more than we did Cade, Dorien, and Hite last night controlling the line of scrimmage.  When Gregg had time to throw he was very accurate.  We have the skill players to put up points but have to have time to get them the ball and open up holes for Youngblood and Gudger to run through (Instead of getting hit behind or at the line of scrimmage and getting 2 yards of effort alone by the RB's.

Greeneville will be fine!  Congrats to Powell on the hard fought win and now go show everyone else in 5a what you are all about!  Love to see both teams in Cookeville! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greendevil87 said:

Blazer I think the offensive lint was struggling and they felt they had to get off fast. And it caused a bunch of procedures. Just have to use it as a learning experience

I said this last night, if I was both coaches I would have all 4 lines running until they puked up things they ate as babies.     Talent, coaching, tradition, atmosphere, yeah it was all there for both schools.    But the undisciplined line play, all the holdings, offsides, procedure, etc.     That is inexcusable for championship teams, I don't care if it is the first game.     Did they not practice at all this summer on "The snap count is on 3" ???      Or "D-Line, do NOT jump until the ball is snapped!!!"       You learn that in 7 year old flag leagues.     Everybody gets anxious now and then and draws a penalty, but this just did not look like 2 championship teams.     Tonight, 99% of the state will open play, and 99% of them will not make it in the playoffs because they are not championship teams.   I expect lots of penalties in most of tonight's games.    I don't know, I guess they are just HS kids, but I really expected a lot more discipline, concentration, focus, etc. out of both these teams.

Okay, *catching breath after that rant*......      I have absolutely no doubt that these issues will be corrected one way or another and both teams will go on to have great seasons.   I wish the best to both of you!