Alcoa vs Blackman

Jar2h

11 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

They're still a pretty good 6A team and would be favored in a few regions. Still a fringe top 10 team. Have a really good chance at making the quarterfinals and will be battle tested with games against Alcoa, Ravenwood, Independence, Oakland and Riverdale

Crazy that 2 top 5 3a teams knocked off 2 top10 6a on the same day

13 minutes ago, FBfan26 said:

Sad thing is that being number ten in 6A doesn't mean your the 10th best team in the state. Your the 10th best team among 50 other teams. The TSSAA will never figure this out and we'll continue to watch the same ole teams win over and over until they run the whole thing out of business. The Alcoa and Blackman game was good for everyone because of the attention it brought. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, kwc said:

I never said that they should never play or schedule a school from a lower classification. I'm knowledgeable. I know how good Alcoa is. Heck, I'd love to see Whitehaven play Alcoa. 

My comments were to the masses. It looks bad. It's not suppose to happen. It's why it seldom does  That's why I keep saying ... "Hat's off to Blackman for even scheduling the game".

I now have a healthy dose of respect for the Blackman HC and the admistration for doing it. Even with the backlash they are going to receive because of the loss.

Surely, you understand that, even though Alcoa is an elite football program.

Good Post! I agree with a lot of what you said. I think Blackman maybe should not have scheduled a team as physical as Alcoa the week before playing Ravenwood. But BHS couldn't have anticipated the RW transfer situation and they probably didn't have a lot of options on their schedule.  They also will have a shorter than normal week to recover due to the Saturday game.

12 hours ago, thegreatone36 said:

'Mopped the field".... Let them play every year. This is why 6A doesn't hardly ever schedule down. If they win, it never gets talked about ever again. If they lose, it will get brought up 20 years from now. Alcoa beat a Blackman team that is about to be 0-2 after their next game. Their last game in 2018 ended in a loss to Mount Juliet 35-14. So they are about to have lost their last 3 games played on the field. It's not like beating a 6A team who is a legit threat this year at winning their region or a state title... 

For the last 20 years Maryville is the only legit threat to win a 6A title every year, Alcoa plays them every season.

21 minutes ago, FBfan26 said:

Alcoa and Pearl both have performed at a high level for so long that they're just not any 3A programs. I'll give Pearl-Cohn this, they'll play anyone, regardless of classification. The state as a whole only benefits when the best programs go out and play other great programs. I hope we can cut down the amount of classes so he's like this are occuring more often, even if it's just in the postseason

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

Keep thinking that one player was the "game changer ":bored:

The second half adjustments by first, the players, plus the coaches decision to go to the jumbo package(something they worked on all week)defensively to shut down the runs to the edge. This change forced the runs back to the center and completely shut down the run. Alcoa also shut down the Blaze passing game, intercepting three passes!

That there was the "Game changer!":thumb:

But, if you think one player would have won the game for Blackman....go ahead. We know better!B)

Great post! I was concerned about a slow start due to the three hour bus ride before the game. Half time adjustments were the key, along with the patented Alcoa Physical style of play that wears teams down in the 4th.

4 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

Good Post! I agree with a lot of what you said. I think Blackman maybe should not have scheduled a team as physical as Alcoa the week before playing Ravenwood. But BHS couldn't have anticipated the RW transfer situation and they probably didn't have a lot of options on their schedule.  They also will have a shorter than normal week to recover due to the Saturday game.

For the last 20 years Maryville is the only legit threat to win a 6A title every year, Alcoa plays them every season.

I don't think Grimes transferring changes the degree of difficulty in this matchup a whole lot. I can guarantee you that their options were limited on who to schedule. As you know, most coaches want the Easy W over challenging their team, partly because of their being such a pressure to win now. Alot of times it's not ideal, but you got to get ready for the rest of the season. Playing Alcoa & Ravenwood consecutively def does that

15 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

I don't think Grimes transferring changes the degree of difficulty in this matchup a whole lot. I can guarantee you that their options were limited on who to schedule. As you know, most coaches want the Easy W over challenging their team, partly because of their being such a pressure to win now. Alot of times it's not ideal, but you got to get ready for the rest of the season. Playing Alcoa & Ravenwood consecutively def does that

I agree, Even if Blackman loses both these first two games,they will be a better team down the stretch for the level of competition they placed early on.

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I won't argue with you BC. If that's the way it went down then that's how it went. Blackman to me is a top ten 6A team for sure and will always be no matter how many they lose from the year before because of the number of kids they have to pick from plus the new kids coming in due to heavy growth in the area.  Only thing that could knock that in the head is what damage will the new Rockvale take from them in the next few years.

Now, barney you know us GOONS would adopt you in and give you an Official GOON card.....but you'd just complain it did not have a coupon on the back to save a nickel. :blink::lol:

14 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

Keep thinking that one player was the "game changer ":bored:

The second half adjustments by first, the players, plus the coaches decision to go to the jumbo package(something they worked on all week)defensively to shut down the runs to the edge. This change forced the runs back to the center and completely shut down the run. Alcoa also shut down the Blaze passing game, intercepting three passes!

That there was the "Game changer!":thumb:

But, if you think one player would have won the game for Blackman....go ahead. We know better!B)

If # 30 for the Blaze hadnt gotten hurt it would have been tighter the 2nd half. He is a good downhill runner