AC Mavericks vs Powell Panthers

I think Greeneville was good enough to keep it close and Powell was good enough to make Greeneville look less than spectacular. That being said I don't think AC has as many weapons as Greeneville to give Powell a good game for all 4 quarters. AC does have a fast paced offense and can pile the points on quickly but like in previous years they seemed to sputter as the game went on against teams with a solid D. I'll take Powell in another close one but in the range if 10-12 points. 

This game is meaningless to Powell in terms of the playoffs.    And with back-to-back-to-back region games starting next week against Fulton/Karns/Clinton, I see Powell relishing in dethroning the Devils last week and looking ahead to the upcoming 3 region games.   Perhaps a little overconfident after last week.   Could the Mavs slip in under the radar and walk away with a W??       YES!!!      Mavs win a squeaker by 6 points or less.

3 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

This game is meaningless to Powell in terms of the playoffs.  

Meaningless in terms of the playoffs - yes. But anyone familiar with these two schools knows the history between them, especially during Matt Lowe's previous tenure. This series got a much needed break, and I think both programs have been chomping at the bit to renew the rivalry.

That said, I agree that Powell could suffer from a bit of a hangover. Fortunately, they've had an extra day to come down from that high, plus we shouldn't have any weather delays this time around.

22 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Meaningless in terms of the playoffs - yes. But anyone familiar with these two schools knows the history between them, especially during Matt Lowe's previous tenure. This series got a much needed break, and I think both programs have been chomping at the bit to renew the rivalry.

That said, I agree that Powell could suffer from a bit of a hangover. Fortunately, they've had an extra day to come down from that high, plus we shouldn't have any weather delays this time around.

I think Powell and AC are perfectly happy to be playing each other again. However, none of these players are probably familiar with the Rivalry except by word of mouth. 

Powell is an extremely athletic team and the overall speed is going to play into a huge advantage. AC has never been known for total team speed. I'm interested to see how the OC targets Powell's defense

Edited by haweanbula

38 minutes ago, haweanbula said:

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

Yep.  Under normal circumstances this might be described as a "trap game", between the machine that is Greeneville, and the huge region opening game with Fulton.  But given what happened last year with the forfeits, I have to believe that this group of Panther coaches and players all have a very big chip on their shoulders.  Don't see real let down happening on Friday.  

38 minutes ago, haweanbula said:

I think Powell and AC are perfectly happy to be playing each other again. However, none of these players are probably familiar with the Rivalry except by word of mouth. 

Powell is an extremely athletic team and the overall speed is going to play into a huge advantage. AC has never been known for total team speed. I'm interested to see how the OC targets Powell's defense

Don't kid yourself on that one.  Powell and AC are very much community schools and you had better believe that folks in both communities have reminded them of what kind of rivalry Powell and AC have had.  Plus a lot of these kids were in the feeder programs at the time and they were there for those games and many of them had brothers playing then.  There will be no shortage of memory of how big a rivalry this was up until a few years ago.  It hasn't been that long.  

Edited by HTV

1 hour ago, HTV said:

1 hour ago, haweanbula said:

2 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Yep.  Under normal circumstances this might be described as a "trap game", between the machine that is Greeneville, and the huge region opening game with Fulton.  But given what happened last year with the forfeits, I have to believe that this group of Panther coaches and players all have a very big chip on their shoulders.  Don't see real let down happening on Friday.  

A chip on their shoulder because of a “clerical error”??? 

16 minutes ago, KnoxVil said:

A chip on their shoulder because of a “clerical error”??? 

No.  A chip on their shoulders because they weren't in the playoffs last year as the result of something other than on the field game results.  

Not absolving anybody for how it happened.  But it happened and the players had to pay the penalty.  

Edited by HTV