Heritage high school

Distressedfan

4 minutes ago, HTV said:

But when all was said and done, did it really save money?   

Probably not, LOL. Every time consolidation is discussed, the advertised reason is almost always related to saving money (i.e., prevent a tax hike or tax levy). And on the surface, that is true. Just look at the operating budget for a school system like KCS or BCS. The amount of money that it costs to run, staff, and maintain an existing school building is daunting. So in theory, while reducing the number of structures/schools would increase the cost/burden on those that remain, there "should" be an overall net savings.

I'm not saying that I favor consolidation; I certainly prefer smaller community schools. However, I also recognize that generally speaking, East Tennesseans aren't interested in tax levies or tax increases of any kind. You're limited by the amount of property tax revenue that is generated, and that can hamper what these school systems are capable of doing from a financial management standpoint.

4 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Probably not, LOL. Every time consolidation is discussed, the advertised reason is almost always related to saving money (i.e., prevent a tax hike or tax levy). And on the surface, that is true. Just look at the operating budget for a school system like KCS or BCS. The amount of money that it costs to run, staff, and maintain an existing school building is daunting. So in theory, while reducing the number of structures/schools would increase the cost/burden on those that remain, there "should" be an overall net savings.

I'm not saying that I favor consolidation; I certainly prefer smaller community schools. However, I also recognize that generally speaking, East Tennesseans aren't interested in tax levies or tax increases of any kind. You're limited by the amount of property tax revenue that is generated, and that can hamper what these school systems are capable of doing from a financial management standpoint.

Agree mostly. 

That said, I don't believe that tax revenues are the problem with a lot of systems, including Knox County.  I believe it is a spending problem.  The system is way too top heavy in spending money in administration rather than inside the schools themselves.  Knox County could consolidate the administrative duties and cut the administrative positions by at least a third, IMO.  Think about how that money could help the teachers actually in the classrooms.  

1 minute ago, HTV said:

The system is way too top heavy in spending money in administration rather than inside the schools themselves.  Knox County could consolidate the administrative duties and cut the administrative positions by at least a third, IMO.  Think about how that money could help the teachers actually in the classrooms.   

100% agree. When my wife was teaching, I was beating that drum constantly.

28 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

No cost savings if they build it and then let it all rot like they have. Everything Blount County touches turns into a pile of $---. 

25 minutes ago, OleMary said:

LOL. 

Cost savings? Then why is BCS asking for $160M in renovations??

Could have built two new high schools. 
https://www.thedailytimes.com/news/inside-the-million-plan-for-blount-county-schools-high-school/article_da2c2055-bdcb-5028-85a5-05e91e5a4b52.html

I can't speak directly to the issue(s) with BCS, but every time consolidation is discussed, cost-savings are always mentioned in the same breath. And rightly so, in theory. But if you have a school system that is completely mismanaged, and like HTV has mentioned, you have unchecked administrative/top-heavy spending, then all bets are off.

12 hours ago, HTV said:

Perhaps the idea is to allow the smaller community schools to compete with other like smaller community schools rather than city system and large county schools?  

I think Greenback is the perfect model for how to make this work.  Kids flocking there and Loudon county has to restrict students from other counties, including Blount county which actually has kids with Greenback addresses inside the blount county line, from attending.

If Loudon County removes that restriction about 10-12 more football players from south Blount  would be transferring to GB every year. that's about an additional 40 FB players on a 1A football team

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 32hammer said:

Greenback seems to be doing pretty well.   Three state championship appearances in 2015, 2016 and 2017. State championship in football in 2017 and state championship in baseball last year.  Some greenback addressed are actually in Blount County. Why are they not complaining about losing kids to Alcoa or Maryville? Really interested to hear an answer.

Its about building community ties to a school that kids want to be a part of and eventually send their own children to the same school.

Greenback is Greenback. It is an isolated little corner of Loudon County off by itself. Blount County has a much bigger population.

You talk about that "small, community feel" but how is that going to compete with turf and jumbotrons?

A better question would be if the county cant adequately support two programs and get us new field houses, how are they going to support 4 or more programs?

Also, people talk about Maryville, Alcoa, and now Greenback because they do take from our talent pool. 

You haven't watched every WB game this season like I have. Honestly, this team is a few good players away from being a one-loss team. A big play wide receiver would make a huge difference (we don't have one). And there are at least three good skill players at other local schools that played at WB and transferred. Also, Barney mentioned that several who live in the WB zone are playing at Alcoa this year. So yea it makes a difference.

Edited by FightOnForWilliamBlount91

10 minutes ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

You talk about that "small, community feel" but how is that going to compete with turf and jumbotrons?

And again, maybe the idea isn't to compete with those types of schools?  Maybe it's an attempt to compete with like schools of like size in like communities?  

17 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

No, small community schools were fun and competitive until some Einstein came along with a brilliant idea and put them together. You'll still be talking about the 2007 WB team in 2037 to your grandkids.

You are making one major assumption here I'm not sure I agree with.

47 minutes ago, HTV said:

And again, maybe the idea isn't to compete with those types of schools?  Maybe it's an attempt to compete with like schools of like size in like communities?  

The point is it would still be fashionable to go to Maryville or Alcoa even if we go back to smaller community schools. That wouldn't change. County schools have to compete with the city schools for players. It is just a fact. And we are getting our butts kicked in that department.

7 minutes ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

The point is it would still be fashionable to go to Maryville or Alcoa even if we go back to smaller community schools. That wouldn't change. County schools have to compete with the city schools for players. It is just a fact. And we are getting our butts kicked in that department.

57 minutes ago, HTV said:

HTV is correct

Alcoa and Maryville were powerhouses in the 70s, yet tiny Walland was able to win a state championship and compete for another during that time.

Lanier had a two time state scoring champion that didn't leave to go play for the city schools. Lanier also had a running back set the state record for rushing yards( I think) in 1977 or 78. He did transfer to Maryville after WB was built.

A less limited perspective on the history of HS football in Blount county favors my opinion

Greenback has kids families moving across the county line just so their kids can  go there.  91, again, why doesn't Greenback lose kids to Alcoa and Maryville? Don't say the GB kids aren't good enough, because kids like Willis, Plemons  and Hanley could start for any 6A team in the state. Guess where those players parents went to school. yep . GB.

16 minutes ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

And the way it is now is working well, then?

Why try to compete with something you can't complete with?  

The definition of insanity is to continue to do the same failing things and expecting different results.