Fayetteville to forfeit 6 wins

MidTennFootball

17 minutes ago, Vandychris said:

Doesnt the original letter state "based on the information you have provided"? Could it be that Fayetteville did not include all of the information? Wouldnt be the first time a school did such.

Did the TSSAA ever require for Fayetteville to send in bus route information? If they deemed him eligible then, he is eligible now. TSSAA wouldn’t have caught this had an outsider not turned it in. It’s a technicality that TSSAA overlooked initially and now has cost themselves...

Edited by GCPioneer

16 minutes ago, PullinGuard said:

I’m surprised you are so confident in their abilities, given that they arrived at two diametrically opposed conclusions in a 6 week span, with no apparent or claimed change in the base information.  That tends to make me skeptical  

We’ll see how it turns out. Good discussion. 

If anything the TSSAA could have made an error early on,  but maybe only because of the information that was given them.  Upon further review that decision has been corrected.  

What is the TSSAA to do after the initial ruling upon finding out otherwise?  Ignore it?  Don't you think Fayetteville is also responsible in knowing what the by laws state? And should be held to them like any other volunteer member of the Association? 

2 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I have to agree with Vandy. TSSAA doesn't force anyone to join their association... you apply and pay a fee to become a member. This isn't about the "law" it's about their policy, and the policy allows for appeals.

I get your point but when it comes to appeals there should be a 3rd party to over see the appeals. Allowing an association to be the judge, jury and executioner is a bit one sided. If you appeal a court decision it goes to a higher court and not back to the same court that handed down the sentence. 

Edited by leadfarmer
  • Upvote 1

The biggest thing to me is that TSSAA, given the correct address of the student deemed him eligible.   Had they ruled otherwise, Fayetteville would not of played the kid.   I understand what is being said about the bus route.  I'm in my 50's so I don't know how bus routes currently work.   When I was in school in Bedford County back in the 70's and 80's the bus routes varied according to where kids lived.   EX:  We would go down a road pick up a kid and then turn the bus around if no one else lived down that road.   Once that kid either graduated or stop riding the bus, the bus no longer went down that road.   If the kid in question had needed to ride the bus, was it possible to re-route a bus to his home?

7 hours ago, Vandychris said:

It is a bad look for Fayetteville to completely ignore the appeals process and jump straight to court system. Had they waited a couple of hours to ride out the appeals, it would be much different scenario. 

6 hours ago, leadfarmer said:

I get your point but when it comes to appeals there should be a 3rd party to over see the appeals. Allowing an association to be the judge, jury and executioner is a bit one sided. If you appeal a court decision it goes to a higher court and not back to the same court that handed down the sentence. 

I agree with both these statements 100%. FHS should’ve went through the appeals process first. The appeals process should be an unbiased process to be able to get the most fair judgement for all involved. FHS won’t win this, and even if they do the TSSAA will appeal it to a higher court until they win it. THe TSSAA  will NOT let this thing set any kind of legal precedent that they will have to deal with in the future.

25 minutes ago, FridayMainEvent said:

The biggest thing to me is that TSSAA, given the correct address of the student deemed him eligible.   Had they ruled otherwise, Fayetteville would not of played the kid.   I understand what is being said about the bus route.  I'm in my 50's so I don't know how bus routes currently work.   When I was in school in Bedford County back in the 70's and 80's the bus routes varied according to where kids lived.   EX:  We would go down a road pick up a kid and then turn the bus around if no one else lived down that road.   Once that kid either graduated or stop riding the bus, the bus no longer went down that road.   If the kid in question had needed to ride the bus, was it possible to re-route a bus to his home?

I thought you was much older :mrgreen:

5 hours ago, leadfarmer said:

I get your point also, but we're talking about an independent organization here. Membership is voluntary... you have to petition to join, pay a fee, and agree to abide by their by-laws (policy) in order to be recognized and compete against other member schools for a championship. Fayetteville is perfectly within their rights to have a football team consisting of ineligible (per TSSAA) kids if they choose, but TSSAA also has the right to disallow them from competing in their association while playing the ineligible player(s).

This isn't a case of one school being singled out or unfairly punished, this is one school violating a long standing policy and receiving a standardized punishment for it, which they may appeal. If Fayetteville doesn't wish to follow TSSAA's policy, they are in no way forced to do so by law, but by the same logic, TSSAA isn't forced to recognize Fayetteville as a member, or to allow them to compete for a championship.

• Upvote 4

Just now, FridayMainEvent said:

I feel that way sometimes...

Lol. I know that feeling. Hoping to swing by Friday to greet you and Lee next if weather permits. I have enjoyed this thread. Learned a lot about TSSAA structure with schools. More I read the more I’m leaning towards their side. I knew TraderTwo was a profit but he seems to be a good teacher as well. 

11 minutes ago, sum1uno said:

Lol. I know that feeling. Hoping to swing by Friday to greet you and Lee next if weather permits. I have enjoyed this thread. Learned a lot about TSSAA structure with schools. More I read the more I’m leaning towards their side. I knew TraderTwo was a profit but he seems to be a good teacher as well. 

Yes, absolutely.  Suppose to be cool.  Put them long handles on....