Alcoa vs Pearl Cohn 3A Championship

Nextoneup

3 minutes ago, repoman said:

Pearl Cohn stopped tryin first series when they got punched in the nose.  Put Rankin at Pearl Cohn, let him recruit a little bit get some of them "magnet kids" and he would win state titles in Music City no doubt.

Repoman, Rankin could/would DEF win state titles in Music City with the talent walking the halls at PC, but I dont believe he cares anything abt winning the spelling bee or math Bowl. That's what the "magnet kids" you're referring to would most likely be used for.

58 minutes ago, FargoStrut said:

I'm a Springfield fan, but always had respect for the PC program since we (Springfield) moved to 4A in the fall of 95 and having played against the 96 and 97 PC teams. That being said, I gained a respect for their band as well bc they were jamming the whole time we played.

In your situation as an announcer, I do understand how someone would be VERY upset at the band playing during the entire game. As far as a school forcing you outside right behind the band to announce, to me, that's worse than the band playing during game. Go Jackets!!!

Sadly, in our region, five of the nine schools Force visiting announcers to broadcast from outside. The school I broadcast for being one of those. It is usually not too bad unless you were stuck behind a band or stuck behind unruly home crowd fans who do everything in their power to make your life miserable while you were there. Bad weather being the other Factor. It's all on the schools for building a proper Press Box for their stadiums to accommodate the amount of people who need to work. I will admit that it did sour me on bands playing when I had to deal with it a couple of times. I've been to some HBCU ball games. The bands are entertaining No Doubt

57 minutes ago, MrBannon said:

I guess these guys have gotten by all season on just talent...at least until you meet a technical sound and extremely motivated team like Alcoa.  

Naw you can't take away from our year like that. Our coaching staff has done a great job this year. We lost 20 seniors from last year's team. 14-1 with our schedule I'm happy with this season. 

When they realign next year every school that’s in 3A should move to 4A. Just let Alcoa play inner squad games and then the one game against Maryville. 3A isn’t even a challenge anymore for Alcoa. Why would you continue to play at this level?  What more does Rankin and Alcoa have to prove in 3A?  Before anyone goes crazy here I’m not putting down Alcoa. They are clearly the best program in 3A and deserve all the accolades they get but at some point don’t you need to move up and challenge your coaches and players?  What does this make it 18 or 19 state championships?  From what the announcer is saying on TV Alcoa is loaded with mostly juniors and sophomores. I mean no one even gives Alcoa a game all year long except Maryville. Why not move up to 5A where you’re challenged half the time. Alcoa can not only compete at that level they can win. If I’m a school administrator I’m moving my football team out of 3A because there’s no beating this program. Rankin has built a dynasty in Alcoa and that’s a great accomplishment. Hats off to this program and congratulations on yet another state championship. 

• Upvote 1