Preseason Top Ten in 4A for 2020

FridayMainEvent

19 minutes ago, PatriotsNation said:

Well it usually happens on these boards where you cant say your opinion without people getting overly offended. Some folks on here are like talking to children. Take care and good luck to Haywood this upcoming season! 

:roflol:No one is offended.  You have your opinion and I have mine.  I base mine off of facts that have happened and its always fun to debate but you better have a good argument and something to back it up with.

PS I'm not a Haywood fan just a former Coach that loves good football and loves good coaching

9 minutes ago, Swipes said:

:roflol:No one is offended.  You have your opinion and I have mine.  I base mine off of facts that have happened and its always fun to debate but you better have a good argument and something to back it up with.

PS I'm not a Haywood fan just a former Coach that loves good football and loves good coaching

:thumb:

If anyone in 4A needs to get over the hump. It’s Springfield; 5 straight quarter final appearances, 3 straight semi-final appearances, 2 out of the last 3 years have made the finals. Of which they BEAT Haywood 2 of 3 to get to the finals. It’s about time for the Yellow Jackets to turn the corner for a gold ball in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Poundtherock23 said:

If anyone in 4A needs to get over the hump. It’s Springfield; 5 straight quarter final appearances, 3 straight semi-final appearances, 2 out of the last 3 years have made the finals. Of which they BEAT Haywood 2 of 3 to get to the finals. It’s about time for the Yellow Jackets to turn the corner for a gold ball in my opinion. 

They'll be pretty solid again this year.   Elizabethton will be tough for anyone to beat again this year.   They do have the usual East Tennessee gauntlet again this year before Springfield potentially gets another shot at them.

On 2/25/2020 at 6:19 PM, PatriotsNation said:

I never have said Hookfin was a bad coach, he did good things at Haywood and Liberty. Solid coach but in my opinion only if I could chose between the two to lead a high school program I would personally choose Smith everytime. Thats just me, dont get so upset by it. 

Man oh man...I am so sorry I missed all this back & forth...but I’m here now

explain 42-7 L to Olive Branch...if Smith is your preference

Hookfin was predictable...and that’s what made him so polarizing, bc everyone had an idea of what was coming...and still couldn’t stop it...Union City is predictable and dominated for years...what’s wrong with predictable???

and if you’d take Smith based on his potential (you think) as opposed to Hookfin’s proven record...well a bird in the hand or 2 in the Bush (see what I did there)

keep in mind, Hookfin left programs that were in shambles and turned them into contenders...so much so that both teams made semifinals appearances the year after his departure...Smith can’t say that...I know who id rather have

it’s all about your personal view point

On 2/26/2020 at 7:28 AM, Swipes said:

You mean stating opinions "he is a decent coach", "No matter how bad that program has been a great coach i promise u can cough up 1 win at the very least", "Coach Smith is a better coach and it will be proven over the next few years".

I don't believe anyone has said or acted like Smith isn't a good Coach but until you make it to a championship game (Something Hoofkin has done in TN) then it's hard to make an argument against Hoofkin who turned Haywood around and handed over a stable program to Smith

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with Swipes...but man, here I am approving this message...well played sir

and Tomcatfan...Hookfin actually kept the talent in Brownsville instead of allowing it to be lured away to USJ and Liberty so let’s not act like the Haywood program had D1s all over campus before he got there

It shouldn’t be this difficult to hold both men in high regard, all the while giving credit where it’s due...

8 hours ago, dhstennis said:

Man oh man...I am so sorry I missed all this back & forth...but I’m here now

explain 42-7 L to Olive Branch...if Smith is your preference

Hookfin was predictable...and that’s what made him so polarizing, bc everyone had an idea of what was coming...and still couldn’t stop it...Union City is predictable and dominated for years...what’s wrong with predictable???

and if you’d take Smith based on his potential (you think) as opposed to Hookfin’s proven record...well a bird in the hand or 2 in the Bush (see what I did there)

keep in mind, Hookfin left programs that were in shambles and turned them into contenders...so much so that both teams made semifinals appearances the year after his departure...Smith can’t say that...I know who id rather have

it’s all about your personal view point

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with Swipes...but man, here I am approving this message...well played sir

and Tomcatfan...Hookfin actually kept the talent in Brownsville instead of allowing it to be lured away to USJ and Liberty so let’s not act like the Haywood program had D1s all over campus before he got there

It shouldn’t be this difficult to hold both men in high regard, all the while giving credit where it’s due...

I'm sure that didn't taste good coming out of your mouth :lol:.  As you know I'm nowhere close to Brownsville but Hoofkin Is a Coach I respect about how he runs his program and how Haywood carried themselves in that State Championship Game 2 years ago.  You could tell he ran a tight ship but loved his players and the Haywood Community.  That's a sign of a great Coach

• Upvote 1

Lol its amazing how people get so bent out of shape over someone's opinion with long messages trying to prove the reasons why they are right. I prefer Coach Smith. If I'm the only one then thats fine it wouldnt be the first time. Didnt realize there was so many Coach Smith haters and doubters on Coach T. Lol. Till next time :thumb:

Edited by PatriotsNation

1 hour ago, PatriotsNation said:

Lol its amazing how people get so bent out of shape over someone's opinion with long messages trying to prove the reasons why they are right. I prefer Coach Smith. If I'm the only one then thats fine it wouldnt be the first time. Didnt realize there was so many Coach Smith haters and doubters on Coach T. Lol. Till next time :thumb:

Lot of hate in this community for sure for a guy who has helped quite a few kids get scholarships. Some facts though that are being overlooked. He did flip Germantown in Class 6A from the abyss to 23-2 his last two seasons- Anyone who thinks it is easy to advance and beat teams like Whitehaven, Memphis Central and yes White Station and Houston twice in one season are ill-informed. He also defeated Whitehaven twice and won two region titles over tehm - anyone else on here can say that? He is 3-0 vs. Henry County which is not easy and as a matter of fact has never lost to a West Tennessee team and is 43-18 as a head coach. If winning the big one is the standard then last time I checked no Haywood coach has done that - even Hookfin. 

• Upvote 1

I think the standard is at least making it to the championship game. String together a few deep play off runs. The better coaches don't care much about the regular season. They base their success off of the post season. Coach Smith will be fine. He did a good job this year. We will know more when Hookfins' influence is no longer lingering in Haywood.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 11:47 AM, Swipes said:

I'm talked about signing LOI and going to that school not prospects.  A Coach getting a kid a higher ranking and having connections doesn't mean that he is a better football coach or anything to do with what we have been talking about.    If you read back through my post about Haywood the last couple of year I had you coming out of the west. (Yes including last year because of the athletes Haywood always has).  I'm just waiting for that final jump because the Springfield team that beat you last year was in my opinion not that good after watching them play (I think 3 first downs the entire state championship games proves that).  That is why i was surprised they beat Haywood

You keep bagging on Springfield, but granted they keep finding themselves in the semis year in year out, we didn't look great in the title game because we were one dimensional which we pretty much were all year, that defense was too good to just run on, we just didn't have the personnel to throw the ball. No matter what Springfield does they get over looked every year, fine with me tbh.....lol

10 hours ago, Kevin38 said:

You keep bagging on Springfield, but granted they keep finding themselves in the semis year in year out, we didn't look great in the title game because we were one dimensional which we pretty much were all year, that defense was too good to just run on, we just didn't have the personnel to throw the ball. No matter what Springfield does they get over looked every year, fine with me tbh.....lol

No offense that's because they are coming out of the west side of the bracket. (I had either you are Haywood making it out of the west last year before the season had even started).  Running the Gauntlet of Quad 1 has been proven year after year there is a difference between the team that has represented the East and West.  Since 2009 when the TSSAA went to 6 classifications The west side of the bracket has won 2 state championships (Giles Co and Memphis East) with an avg margin of victory at  15.5 points.  A team from Quad 1 has made it to the championship game every year and of the 9 state champions have had an avg margin of Victory of 33 points in the Championship game.  The team coming out of Quad 1 have had tougher games during the play-offs than the championship game 85% of the time.  I know you think I'm bashing the West but stats don't lie

On 2/28/2020 at 9:28 AM, PatriotsNation said:

...so...nothing on that 42-7 loss?