Never too early....Who wins Class A 2020-21

gogold

9 hours ago, maddams said:

My current top 10. (This is based on results to this point in the season)

1. McKenzie - their win at Gibson (really tough place to win) puts them in this spot; only loss was close to AAA Dyer Co

2. Gibson Co - several quality wins; only loss to McKenzie; lot of talent with arguably the best coach in the state

3. Loretto - they have the best player in A, only losses to Lebanon and Upperman

4. Clarkrange - the favorite to win state; they've got a nice win over Cookeville and several close losses to top notch teams

5. Summertown - experienced; no bad losses but no great wins this year either

6. Peabody - dangerous with their speed and defense, well coached

7. North Greene - best team in the East after beating Cloudland last week

8. Houston Co - great record; nice win over Jo Byrns but otherwise not much on their schedule so far

9. Van Buren Co - great record but weak schedule

10. Gleason - solid team; well coached; hard to explain the loss to West Carroll

Others to watch in no particular order: Pickett Co, Union City, Clay Co, Cloudland, Whitwell, Tellico Plains, Greenfield

Union City has already beaten Greenfield by 17, Peabody by 23 and they play Gleason on Friday. Union City has played a very tough schedule with Covington, Westview x2, USJ, Dyersburg. Look for Union City to be in the thick of it heading into the State Tourney. They have a real shot at winning 13A and playing GC for the Regional Championship. 

42 minutes ago, purplengolduc said:

Union City has already beaten Greenfield by 17, Peabody by 23 and they play Gleason on Friday. Union City has played a very tough schedule with Covington, Westview x2, USJ, Dyersburg. Look for Union City to be in the thick of it heading into the State Tourney. They have a real shot at winning 13A and playing GC for the Regional Championship. 

I am with you. Do think Union City has lost a few because of quarantining and lack of chemistry, but I wholeheartedly believe when it comes down to it they will be a big time force and a team that could get hot and win it all. Great talent in Bonds and Williams and a pretty good supporting cast. They will be tough and always play us extremely tough. 

Edited by pioneer42

Wow, Mckenzie beat Greenfield by 31 last night.  I thought Greenfield would better than they have shown this season.  The turn around from last year to this for Mckenzie is very impressive.  I still think they are a year away, but they could prove me wrong.  They will be the favorites in single A the next two seasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1983 said:

Wow, Mckenzie beat Greenfield by 31 last night.  I thought Greenfield would better than they have shown this season.  The turn around from last year to this for Mckenzie is very impressive.  I still think they are a year away, but they could prove me wrong.  They will be the favorites in single A the next two seasons.

I still would favor Gibson County next year! Them Hart sisters are special! 

4 hours ago, 1983 said:

I disagree. Our second leading scorer Lilly Bennett is a senior and our top rebounder is a senior as well.  We have tremendous depth and folks that can play 1 through 5.  That win over Greenfield was statement win. Edie had about 8 to 9 turnovers against our press. 

1 hour ago, rebelman101 said:

I disagree. Our second leading scorer Lilly Bennett is a senior and our top rebounder is a senior as well.  We have tremendous depth and folks that can play 1 through 5.  That win over Greenfield was statement win. Edie had about 8 to 9 turnovers against our press. 

Great win last night! You disagree that y’all will be favorites next season?  How many other seniors besides those two?  Is the leading scorer a freshman?  

5 hours ago, dmm88 said:

Union City and Greenfield have looked like big disappointments so far. UC is 4-7, and Greenfield is 6-5. Is it COVID-related or is it personnel issues????

Greenfield lost 2 of the best players in the State of Tennessee and they're small with a very short bench. We've been spoiled over the last 3 or 4 years watching them, but every school goes through the cycles. McKenzie is a very good team and they're a tough over there. I'd like to see us play them again, somewhere down the road. They played a great game against us and they've got some players. UC will be a very dangerous team in a one and done scenario. UC has had some issues early on and they've played a couple of pretty good teams as well to acquire a few of those losses. If I had to chose to play Greenfield or UC, I'd rather see GF later on personally. 

Edited by SuperFan14A
context