COVID-19 2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SEASON

I hate to be a debbie downer but as things stand today I just cant see a way that football will happen this fall. I hope I'm wrong, I want football just as bad as anybody here. Would it be safe to do? Right now no I dont think so. Can we delay football season until later possibly early next spring? Hopefully. Even if they do decide to play this fall is it safe to have people in the stands? I just dont think so. Again I hope I'm wrong and hope things with covid get a heck of a lot better. There has to be a vaccine before things can really get back to "normal".

8 minutes ago, PatriotsNation said:

I hate to be a debbie downer but as things stand today I just cant see a way that football will happen this fall. I hope I'm wrong, I want football just as bad as anybody here. Would it be safe to do? Right now no I dont think so. Can we delay football season until later possibly early next spring? Hopefully. Even if they do decide to play this fall is it safe to have people in the stands? I just dont think so. Again I hope I'm wrong and hope things with covid get a heck of a lot better. There has to be a vaccine before things can really get back to "normal".

A vaccine is not the answer. It's an emotional response without using any logic. Not even 50% of the population take the flu shot each year. In addition, vaccines are not going to always work even if every single person takes it. It's simply a media talking point to delay any positivity. Just like we do with the flu, we are going to have to live with this. If an outbreak happens with this in a school or business (like with the flu), we can shut it down for a week or two. Otherwise, we should be safe and smart, and go on with our lives. People can easily distance from each other at football games using smart spacing, lawn chairs, etc. This is manageable and certainly not a reason to shut everything down anyway. Kids are not at risk of dying or even getting very sick, but you'd believe otherwise by reading some of these posts or watching the continual negative news reports each day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

A vaccine is not the answer. It's an emotional response without using any logic. Not even 50% of the population take the flu shot each year. In addition, vaccines are not going to always work even if every single person takes it. It's simply a media talking point to delay any positivity. Just like we do with the flu, we are going to have to live with this. If an outbreak happens with this in a school or business (like with the flu), we can shut it down for a week or two. Otherwise, we should be safe and smart, and go on with our lives. People can easily distance from each other at football games using smart spacing, lawn chairs, etc. This is manageable and certainly not a reason to shut everything down anyway. Kids are not at risk of dying or even getting very sick, but you'd believe otherwise by reading some of these posts or watching the continual negative news reports each day.

I agree not everyone will take the vaccine but the point is they will be a vaccine available. IMO it’s to early to say let’s go on with are lives while the virus is spreading more that it ever was. 

8 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

So the way you talk there isnt kids and young adults on ventilators? Sir you are sadly mistaken. I know young kids and young adults that are on ventilators due to covid 19. For anyone who thinks it's all a hoax I just pray that nobody in your family comes down with covid because it's a lot worse than your "common flu". 

Edited by PatriotsNation
  • Like 1

California delays start of all high school sports; football

There is still a chance that high school football will be played in California in the coming school year.

a group of football players on the field: California high school football, which normally conducts its state championships the first or second week of December, will instead play its first games in late December or early January.© Louis Lopez / unapproved website

California high school football, which normally conducts its state championships the first or second week of December, will instead play its first games in late December or early January.

But teams will likely have to wait until after Christmas to take the field for the first time and the season isn’t expected to end until the middle of April.

The California Interscholastic Federation — the governing body for high school athletics in the state — on Monday announced a modified schedule for its sports, all of which have been delayed 1-4 months by the coronavirus pandemic.

The CIF’s statement outlined only the end dates for section playoffs and the last possible dates for regional and state championships. The decision on when each sport begins will be determined by officials in each of the 10 sections.

Football, which normally conducts its state championships the first or second week of December, will instead play its first games in late December or early January. The CIF set an April 10 deadline for completion of its section tournaments with the state title games to be played no later than April 17.

will end in April

Edited by fb247

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

Why don't you wait and see what the TSSAA proposes to the governor's office before assuming the worst? A final decision has not been made, so why the rush to panic?

I know you mean well, 22, but haven't we all been speculating in this thread (and others) about what is "likely" to happen or what we think might happen? As long as we all keep it civil, I don't see the harm in debating this until an official plan is announced.

8 minutes ago, PatriotsNation said:

So the way you talk there isnt kids and young adults on ventilators? Sir you are sadly mistaken. I know young kids and young adults that are on ventilators due to covid 19. For anyone who thinks it's all a hoax I just pray that nobody in your family comes down with covid because it's a lot worse than your "common flu". 

It's not a hoax. The stats prove, however, it negatively affects the at risk and the elderly extraordinarily more. Kids are much more vulnerable from the flu. As with any illness, however, there are sadly always the rare circumstances that hurt those that are least likely to be affected. It's just a very small percentage. I'd be curious if the younger people in bad shape had other health issues, though.

17 minutes ago, PatriotsNation said:

You know young kids and young adults on ventilators for covid? What county is this in? I highly doubt its true. 

4 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I know you mean well, 22, but haven't we all been speculating in this thread (and others) about what is "likely" to happen or what we think might happen? As long as we all keep it civil, I don't see the harm in debating this until an official plan is announced.

Sure. It's just very frustrating to see these general statements now of canceling the entire season, especially on July 20th!! It's crazy. If they need to delay things, so be it...we can all live with that.

14 minutes ago, PatriotsNation said:

How many kids and young adults do you know that have been placed on a ventilator?  This virus is much less worse than the flu for anyone age 20 and under. Both statistically and by the  symptoms they suffer. There have been 31 deaths in the entire country age 14 and under. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Sure. It's just very frustrating to see these general statements now of canceling the entire season, especially on July 20th!! It's crazy. If they need to delay things, so be it...we can all live with that.

Just keep hoping Sept. 18th is first game. I don't see it being any sooner.

Well there is whether you guys want to accept that or not. I understand it affects older people a lot more.  Just try telling those kids parents that my statements arent true. I wouldnt dare say something on here or anywhere about something so serious if I didnt know for a fact it was true. Just get educated people. I just would hate to see even one kid this fall get this virus and something bad happen to them. 

Edited by PatriotsNation

• CoachT locked this topic