COVID-19 2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SEASON

48 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

The feeling is mutual about the post above this one. If a teacher is not physically at the home, majority of kids education will go south. Kids need mentors and live face to face teaching. Corporations don’t even won’t adults to work at home because they are not in a controlled environment. Kids need to be in school and involved in sports period to build character, self-esteem and discipline. 

I get what you are trying to say, and I do agree that face to face learning is best. But in this example, isn't that where the parent(s) has to step up? Too many parents rely on schools to "babysit" their children and essentially provide everything, and in some cases, that is necessary. But a child's education isn't supposed to stop when he/she hops off the bus. School shouldn't be the only place where kids build those skills that you mentioned.

And as far as companies go, while some industries will never be able to telework, there are tons of companies who are evolving to a work from home model, and that was happening long before this COVID madness. But in the past 4+ months, even more corporations have jumped on board. Speaking from experience, if a company can allow its employees to work remotely, be as productive/accountable, and cut overhead/infrastructure costs tremendously, why wouldn't they?

Edited by osunut2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I get what you are trying to say, and I do agree that face to face learning is best. But in this example, isn't that where the parent(s) has to step up? Too many parents rely on schools to "babysit" their children and essentially provide everything, and in some cases, that is necessary. But a child's education isn't supposed to stop when he/she hops off the bus. School shouldn't be the only place where kids build those skills that you mentioned.

And as far as companies go, while some industries will never be able to telework, there are tons of companies who are evolving to a work from home model, and that was happening long before this COVID madness. But in the past 4+ months, even more corporations have jumped on board. Speaking from experience, if a company can allow its employees to work remotely, be as productive/accountable, and cut overhead/infrastructure costs tremendously, why wouldn't they?

Having parents either work from home/take off from work while trying to teach their children and/or being home while they do online learning....is absolute chaos and madness! It doesn’t help anyone, especially for a lengthy period of time like what happened in the spring. By most accounts, it was a disaster in any number of ways! Kids need to be in the classroom while parents work. That’s the best system we have in this country. Obviously, this excludes those that choose to homeschool their own kids and do so in the correct way as they intentionally sign up for that job.

Edited by sportsguy22

35 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I am sure lots of employees that could work at home have worked at home during this pandemic because the governors recommended it. And some may continue it but a lot of your corporations still like the controlled environment. Lots of our kids are from 1 parent homes and what are the stats 1 in 5 kids are from abusive homes and school is their safe haven. I agree parents need to be involved a bunch in their child’s lives in education and sports for them to be successful. If it comes to virtual learning at home, I hope for the best. But I am a big fan of kids being in school for building their character and social skills. We all must play the cards we are dealt, but I can tell you I have done had one sent home from the state tournament their senior year and it don’t taste good so I hope these kids don’t have to go through what we went through this past year.

Edited by pioneer42

9 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Having parents either work from home/take off from work while trying to teach their children and/or being home while they do online learning....is absolute chaos and madness! It doesn’t help anyone, especially for a lengthy period of time like what happened in the spring. By most accounts, it was a disaster in any number of ways! Kids need to be in the classroom while parents work. That’s the best system we have in this country. Obviously, this excludes those that choose to homeschool their own kids and do so in the correct way as they intentionally sign up for that job.

I would argue that the "best" system involves a working parent and a stay-at-home parent, but I'm old-fashioned l guess.

35 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

In a hypothetical "perfect" world, you would be correct... Children would be educated at school with a noon meal, and sent home to be nurtured, disciplined, and taught the proper social graces for them to succeed in society. Teachers would only need to concentrate on their "job" of increasing the children's knowledge in their subject of certification. The problem is that the two parent, stay at home housewife world of the Brady Bunch just isn't out there, and teachers nowadays have to do their "job", along with assessing the mental and physical needs/issues of each child daily. If you (and your family) possess the capability of understanding and teaching the material required by the State Dept. of Education, the resources to provide for every need, and the time to supervise your child constantly, you are fortunate and you are in the very minute minority.

We are in total agreement that schools shouldn't be the only place that kids feel secure and receive attention, the only place that they know a hot meal will be there every day, the only place where they feel safe from abuse, the only place where they will receive medical attention if sick. The reality is that the majority of kids today lack one or more of these things that you evidently take for granted.

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

I would argue that the "best" system involves a working parent and a stay-at-home parent, but I'm old-fashioned l guess.

Back in the day...maybe it was. And, in select families nowadays, I think it does work out fine. Overall now, though, both parents need to work for financial reasons obviously, thus the kids need to be in school for the best situation possible. 

Sevierville County is in the red zone along with others. Over 2,500 cases yesterday and now 815 deaths. It’s crazy how fast death rate is raising in TN. Plus just Knox County has 1,100 active cases, its getting worse and they are thinking about playing ball and filling up the stands??? Wonder how that meeting is going to go Monday. 

Edited by Djohnson
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, tradertwo said:

In a hypothetical "perfect" world, you would be correct... Children would be educated at school with a noon meal, and sent home to be nurtured, disciplined, and taught the proper social graces for them to succeed in society. Teachers would only need to concentrate on their "job" of increasing the children's knowledge in their subject of certification. The problem is that the two parent, stay at home housewife world of the Brady Bunch just isn't out there, and teachers nowadays have to do their "job", along with assessing the mental and physical needs/issues of each child daily. If you (and your family) possess the capability of understanding and teaching the material required by the State Dept. of Education, the resources to provide for every need, and the time to supervise your child constantly, you are fortunate and you are in the very minute minority.

We are in total agreement that schools shouldn't be the only place that kids feel secure and receive attention, the only place that they know a hot meal will be there every day, the only place where they feel safe from abuse, the only place where they will receive medical attention if sick. The reality is that the majority of kids today lack one or more of these things that you evidently take for granted.

Agree with your sentiment, although that last statement was completely unnecessary. I've intentionally tried not to share my own personal experience, aside from my wife's pastime as a teacher.

Seems like if we are asking teachers to do ALL of those things, they should probably be paid a lot more appropriately, don't you think?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Djohnson said:

Sevierville County is in the red zone along with others. Over 2,500 cases yesterday and now 815 deaths. It’s crazy how fast death rate is raising in TN. Plus just Knox County has 1,100 active cases, its getting worse and they are thinking about playing ball and filling up the stands??? Wonder how that meeting is going to go Monday. 

Sounds like someone is watching too much mainstream news and not diving into the data.

How about you stay home and let the rest of us live our lives??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, District12AA said:

Sounds like someone is watching too much mainstream news and not diving into the data.

How about you stay home and let the rest of us live our lives??

That’s great advice to someone who is either a troll or walks around life scared of his shadow. He’s essentially spent weeks sayin I am terrified of this virus and I think no one should be able to enjoy their life until my fear of this virus goes away. I am too afraid to enjoy high school football this fall so I believe no one should enjoy high school football this fall. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, orngnblk said:

I am sorry you feel like they ARE MADE to do this I know some that LOVE to make sure the kids are taken care of when they know the need is there.

Holy moly orange, where did I say any of that?? Take the time to read my posts, and you'll see that I never even implied that.

I am a huge proponent of the public school model. My wife was a phenomenal teacher (KCS teacher of the year in 2015), and most teachers do the job because they want to impact these kids, not because it pays well. I just think that teachers deserve better (especially this year), and if we are going do things "normally" in 2020, let's give them hazard pay. The kids aren't at risk here, but the staff members absolutely are.

And if that means we all have to pay a few more bucks in property taxes, so be it.

• CoachT locked this topic