South Pittsburg vs Sale Creek (Grider against this Cox man)

Roy Dillard

Dearest Mother-

Once more, your youngest son, who is of sound mind and strong body, picks up his coveted quill to put ink to parchment and bring you up to date on our latest excursions.  You and Poppa will be tickled pink to know Captain Victory and his Band of Pirates went unscathed in our recent voyage to the land of the Red Tiger. The battle was a quick and decisive one which saw Captain Victory unleash the fully armed and operational Pirate BattleShip.  The offensive onslaught was relentless with volley after volley raining down from the heavens upon the Red Tiger and the Whitwellian witnesses that had gathered for Homecoming. When Captain Victory gave the order to cease fire the land of the Red Tiger laid bare and was quite desolate.  There might have been a few thorns and thistles left, but not much more. As soon as the campaign ended, I immediately ran and dove headfirst into the Sasquatch River, then proceeded to swim back to the friendly confines of The Beene.  I had no sooner gotten there and started drying out when I caught a glimpse of Captain Victory with his Band of Pirates against the pale moonlit sky rounding the Horn of New Hope, going under the Rhinehart then into the Pirate Port of South Pittsburg.  As Captain Victory and his staff of officers disembarked they headed straightway to the Situation Room where plans were drawn up and every detail thoroughly gone over for our next campaign. Up next is Corporal Cox leading his Black and Blue Creek Panthers. Corporal Cox is a direct descendant of Wally, the greatest Underdog who ever lived. He has marched his Creek Panthers from above the Scenic City and they have plans to invade The Beene.  Yes, you heard me right, The Beene.  Sweet Mother of mine, it has been four fortnights and a day since we last defended The Beene.  Yes, it has been what seems like forever ago. But I must say, Corporal Cox is such a brave underdog. Yes, he is so much braver than Chief RunAndHides.  There's a lot to be said for a leader that not only sends his men into battle, but one that will lead them into that battle right alongside them. For these campaigns are not for those that fear.  And these campaigns are not for those that would run and hide.  No, these campaigns are for those which seek honor and glory.  One can not find honor and glory hiding out in the Fiery Gizzard. Therefore, we will never run and hide.  Therefore, we will stand our ground and defend The Beene against any and all that comes forth. Yes, Captain Victory and his Band of Pirates when called upon will go forth and seek honor and glory even into other territories.  But as for the next two fortnights, the Mighty Pirates with Captain Victory at the helm will be defending our own homestead. Yes, The Beene is our home and we shall defend it. We shall defend The Beene with every drop of blood, sweat and tears of every man, woman and child if necessary.  So let the word go forth. Yes, let the word go forth that The Mighty Pirates have finally come home. They have docked at The Beene for the next two fortnights.  And as cousin John D. sang many years ago, we sing now,  'Hey It's Good To Be Back Home Again'.   Love to All-

Sgt Southtowner

• Like 2