Smith County looking for a new Head Coach

kingofthenorth

54 minutes ago, eers said:

Someone has unrealistic expectations. 8-2 in the region in two seasons. Scheduling could have been better/easier and the overall record would have been. Just seems like two years is a pretty short leash at a program that is far from great... and for this to happen on Monday following the last game tells me something has been in the works behind closed doors. 

From what my SC friends have told me....he brought everything onto himself

21 hours ago, Reynard said:

Smith County is like most small town teams. Talent goes in cycles, up and down, They always have a few very good players, but the key is developing the rest to maximize all they give you. The 2 that come to mind at SC that were good at that were Rankin and  Maynord.    

Well, at least we may see the end of the Wing helmets, uniforms, Dirty Birds stuff and the Hole can be the Hole again instead of the Owls Nest. I know, I know, I'm Old School, but never did like that stuff. But that's just me..

The kids like that’s stuff man lol

One of the coolest places to play IMO. Always loved going there and never noticed the walk afterwards:thumb:, even after cramping up my senior year!

I know some SC faithful were not happy when this hire was made. The ra ra new age to drum up excitement was a flop and turned some long time supporters away. 2 people on my list if I'm the one searching:

Hackett @ Watertown, and Dyer @ TC. Both grads from SC and both very knowledgable in the game. 1 still resides just down the road from the school. Selfishly, I'd want 1 to get it over the other. Heck, they both could go. 

It's a tough job to start with for sure, but there is talent in the pipeline and if you can establish a solid foundation, SC will be back before long. Maybe they will schedule TC again as well! 

14 minutes ago, BCB~MVP said:

One of the coolest places to play IMO. Always loved going there and never noticed the walk afterwards:thumb:, even after cramping up my senior year!

I know some SC faithful were not happy when this hire was made. The ra ra new age to drum up excitement was a flop and turned some long time supporters away. 2 people on my list if I'm the one searching:

Hackett @ Watertown, and Dyer @ TC. Both grads from SC and both very knowledgable in the game. 1 still resides just down the road from the school. Selfishly, I'd want 1 to get it over the other. Heck, they both could go. 

It's a tough job to start with for sure, but there is talent in the pipeline and if you can establish a solid foundation, SC will be back before long. Maybe they will schedule TC again as well! 

I agree. It would be an uphill climb to start but they don’t expect much right now either. Schedule some winnable games for the next couple years to get you through. There is talent there in the lower grades so by the time they get up to high school you would have your program and philosophy established and be ready to become competitive again with most teams you’re gonna face. It’s going to take a coach that knows the history and the fan base and be willing to work to get it done though. 

24 minutes ago, TCRadio said:

I think Dyer at TC and Jackson at Oakland could be targets but doubt Jackson would leave Oakland for SC, Dyer it’s very possible 

I think Dyer would be a legit guess. I don’t see Jackson coming, I would think he’s looking to go bigger than SC. I don’t see Hackett going and that be his first Head Coach job. SC has put out several coaches that are coordinators or position coaches at other schools. Brady, Frye, Carter, Silcox, Clemons, Pope, Williams etc. There’s always Dickerson and Harville. Powell, the DC at SC now could be a candidate. Can’t go without mentioning the Gruden of Carthage, Chuck Gentry lol. I think one of these will end up being named in the end but who knows there may be a dark horse out there no one is thinking about also. 

Edited by Merlyn

2 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

The kids like that’s stuff man lol

Sometimes what the kids like, don't necessarily translate into better.

Richard Anderson tried the Michigan stripes on the helmets….flop 

Dirty Birds?   Dirty ….really?.

Owls Nest?  The only thing in a nest is eggs and/or  bird crap.

I know, I'm out of date and out of tune....  evidently

• Like 3