McMinn Co at Dobyns Bennett Decision on Monday

CoachT

1 hour ago, THE89Charger said:

I read the player left practice on Tuesday but first test was Thursday.  Then the negative on Friday. Then again...who knows?  I’m still trying to figure out if they claim he was negative and had proof  why was he not playing?  Doesn’t make sense.  If he’s negative why is he in the stands?  

Hate to say it but most kids on a team that are in the playoffs and most of their parents aren't going to go get tested from just the fear of what just happened. Especially if they are a starter most likely they will just miss a couple of practice's and just show up to play unless they are running a really bad fever they won't even go to a Dr.

2 hours ago, THE89Charger said:

I read the player left practice on Tuesday but first test was Thursday.  Then the negative on Friday. Then again...who knows?  I’m still trying to figure out if they claim he was negative and had proof  why was he not playing?  Doesn’t make sense.  If he’s negative why is he in the stands?  

I read the 2nd test was an antibody test. Which does not equal a negative test since antibodies can take up to two weeks to show up in the blood? That’s probably why he was told he couldn’t play. Just wait till Covid robs a team from actually playing in a State Championship game! I NEVER want this to happen but it’s a real possibility. 

14 hours ago, TnBear said:

Word is Jalen Hunt was the positive case. 

Word is this is the walkthrough at DB the day before McMinn was to play up there:

HC: Guys, we can't stop Hunt.

Defensive Coach: Let's see if any of the players feel they can.

HC: Team, we have to stop Hunt, but it looks like we have no chance. Suggestions?

JV Kid in the back: Heck, he isn't anything special. My grandma can stop him!

Varsity players glare at the bold freshman.

HC: Now, son. You know he is fast. No way your grandma could get the job done.

JV kid: Well, she works at the Health Department...

1 hour ago, Warrior1983 said:

Word is this is the walkthrough at DB the day before McMinn was to play up there:

HC: Guys, we can't stop Hunt.

Defensive Coach: Let's see if any of the players feel they can.

HC: Team, we have to stop Hunt, but it looks like we have no chance. Suggestions?

JV Kid in the back: Heck, he isn't anything special. My grandma can stop him!

Varsity players glare at the bold freshman.

HC: Now, son. You know he is fast. No way your grandma could get the job done.

JV kid: Well, she works at the Health Department...

Ignorance at its finest.

I was given permission to post this letter sent from the TSSAA to both Dobyns Bennett and McMinn County by the TSSAA:

November 16, 2020
Mr. Chris Hampton, Principal
Dobyns Bennett High School
1 Tribe Way
Kingsport, TN 37664
Mr. Joe Young, Principal
McMinn County High School
2215 Congress Parkway S
Athens, TN 37303
Gentlemen:
The football game between your schools that was scheduled to be played on Friday
November 13, 2020, was not played due to concerns that a McMinn County player who
was allegedly traveling with the team had tested positive for COVID-19. Based on the
judgment of Dr. Andrew Stephen May of the Sullivan County Health Department and Dr.
Tim Jones, the Chief Medical Officer for the Tennessee Department of Health, the game
was called off
Over the weekend, additional information that was not known to Dr. May and Dr. Jones
at the time was brought to the attention of TSSAA by representatives of McMinn County
High School. The student-athlete in question was taking virtual classes only and was only
at the school in the afternoons for football practice. According to the McMinn County
football coach, this player was ill at practice on Tuesday November 10 and was sent
home and had not been around any other McMinn County players since that time. The
student underwent testing for COVID-19 at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday November 12 and was
informed that he had a positive result. However, he suffers from asthma, and on the
morning of November 13 he was examined by his physician. His physician found that he
had no stigmata consistent with COVID-19 and that his O2 saturation was 98 with no
fever. His COVID antibody test was negative for IgG. On this basis, the physician
concluded that the student’s positive COVID test result on November 12 might be a false
positive.
The McMinn County High School Football COVID-19 Protocols limit the number of
players in the weight room at a given time. At practice, players are not allowed in groups
and are not to be around anyone for more than 30 seconds. No huddles are used, and
drills and activities are conducted in a way to maintain social distancing. The player in
question says that during the week’s practices he was never within six feet of anyone for
fifteen minutes or more.
While the McMinn County team traveled to the November 13 game by bus, the player in
question traveled separately in a car with his parents. When the team stopped for a team
meal, the player and his parents ate in a separate part of the restaurant away from the
team. During that team meal the Coordinated School Health Supervisor informed the
player that he would not be permitted to participate in the game.
The TSSAA COVID-19 Sports Regulations require that “[a]ny student or staff who has
been in close contact (within 6 feet for 15 minutes or longer) of a person with suspected
or confirmed COVID-19 must quarantine at home for a period of 14 days from their last
exposure to that individual.” The McMinn County High School Reported Case Protocol
requires contact tracing for any individual either 48 hours prior to symptom onset if
symptomatic or 48 hours prior to test date if asymptomatic.
Based on all of this information, TSSAA has attempted to find a way that the game
between the two schools could be played on Tuesday November 17. After consultation
with state health officials, we asked that McMinn County High School provide
verification from the McMinn County Health Department attesting that the school has
adequately performed the necessary contact tracing and ensured that any player other
than the student in question with whom he had close contact in the 48 hours before he
reported to practice ill on November 10 is quarantined and will not be participating in a
game if played on November 17. We informed school officials that we had to receive that
verification on November 16 in order for the contest to go forward on November 17.
Unfortunately, we did not receive the needed verification from the McMinn County
Health Department. We therefore have no alternative but to call off the game and
advance Dobyns-Bennett High School in the playoffs. We have all known that in the time
of this pandemic, something like this could occur; but we are sorry the players from the
two schools will not get to play this contest. We appreciate all the efforts that
representatives from both schools made to get us all the information we needed or
requested and to deal with this difficult situation.
Sincerely,
Bernard Childress
Executive Director
BC:lj

29 minutes ago, FridayMainEvent said:

I was given permission to post this letter sent from the TSSAA to both Dobyns Bennett and McMinn County by the TSSAA:

November 16, 2020
Mr. Chris Hampton, Principal
Dobyns Bennett High School
1 Tribe Way
Kingsport, TN 37664
Mr. Joe Young, Principal
McMinn County High School
2215 Congress Parkway S
Athens, TN 37303
Gentlemen:
The football game between your schools that was scheduled to be played on Friday
November 13, 2020, was not played due to concerns that a McMinn County player who
was allegedly traveling with the team had tested positive for COVID-19. Based on the
judgment of Dr. Andrew Stephen May of the Sullivan County Health Department and Dr.
Tim Jones, the Chief Medical Officer for the Tennessee Department of Health, the game
was called off
Over the weekend, additional information that was not known to Dr. May and Dr. Jones
at the time was brought to the attention of TSSAA by representatives of McMinn County
High School. The student-athlete in question was taking virtual classes only and was only
at the school in the afternoons for football practice. According to the McMinn County
football coach, this player was ill at practice on Tuesday November 10 and was sent
home and had not been around any other McMinn County players since that time. The
student underwent testing for COVID-19 at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday November 12 and was
informed that he had a positive result. However, he suffers from asthma, and on the
morning of November 13 he was examined by his physician. His physician found that he
had no stigmata consistent with COVID-19 and that his O2 saturation was 98 with no
fever. His COVID antibody test was negative for IgG. On this basis, the physician
concluded that the student’s positive COVID test result on November 12 might be a false
positive.
The McMinn County High School Football COVID-19 Protocols limit the number of
players in the weight room at a given time. At practice, players are not allowed in groups
and are not to be around anyone for more than 30 seconds. No huddles are used, and
drills and activities are conducted in a way to maintain social distancing. The player in
question says that during the week’s practices he was never within six feet of anyone for
fifteen minutes or more.
While the McMinn County team traveled to the November 13 game by bus, the player in
question traveled separately in a car with his parents. When the team stopped for a team
meal, the player and his parents ate in a separate part of the restaurant away from the
team. During that team meal the Coordinated School Health Supervisor informed the
player that he would not be permitted to participate in the game.
The TSSAA COVID-19 Sports Regulations require that “[a]ny student or staff who has
been in close contact (within 6 feet for 15 minutes or longer) of a person with suspected
or confirmed COVID-19 must quarantine at home for a period of 14 days from their last
exposure to that individual.” The McMinn County High School Reported Case Protocol
requires contact tracing for any individual either 48 hours prior to symptom onset if
symptomatic or 48 hours prior to test date if asymptomatic.
Based on all of this information, TSSAA has attempted to find a way that the game
between the two schools could be played on Tuesday November 17. After consultation
with state health officials, we asked that McMinn County High School provide
verification from the McMinn County Health Department attesting that the school has
adequately performed the necessary contact tracing and ensured that any player other
than the student in question with whom he had close contact in the 48 hours before he
reported to practice ill on November 10 is quarantined and will not be participating in a
game if played on November 17. We informed school officials that we had to receive that
verification on November 16 in order for the contest to go forward on November 17.
Unfortunately, we did not receive the needed verification from the McMinn County
Health Department. We therefore have no alternative but to call off the game and
advance Dobyns-Bennett High School in the playoffs. We have all known that in the time
of this pandemic, something like this could occur; but we are sorry the players from the
two schools will not get to play this contest. We appreciate all the efforts that
representatives from both schools made to get us all the information we needed or
Sincerely,
Bernard Childress
Executive Director

I'm really hoping someone steps up and admits to whatever was done wrong here, but I'm running out of faith in most people doing the right thing.  Hopefully our local journalists will keep digging on this and force our local and regional officials to hold someone accountable.

1 minute ago, Martymcfly said:

I'm really hoping someone steps up and admits to whatever was done wrong here, but I'm running out of faith in most people doing the right thing.  Hopefully our local journalists will keep digging on this and force our local and regional officials to hold someone accountable.

The TSSAA stated "they have no further comment" on this.

31 minutes ago, FridayMainEvent said:

.............. We informed school officials that we had to receive that

Health Department.
We therefore have no alternative but to call off the game and
Sincerely,
Bernard Childress
Executive Director

So if I am reading this correctly, MCHD did not get the info to the TSSAA on time, so they either screwed up or just dropped the ball or something.     Right?      The rest of the letter makes it appear that MCHS followed all protocols and the TSSAA was ready to let them play on Nov 17.      It would be nice to see an official statement from someone at MCHD to verify or deny this.        We may all disagree on a lot of things on this board, but one thing nobody likes and that is being lied to.

6 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

So if I am reading this correctly, MCHD did not get the info to the TSSAA on time, so they either screwed up or just dropped the ball or something.     Right?      The rest of the letter makes it appear that MCHS followed all protocols and the TSSAA was ready to let them play on Nov 17.      It would be nice to see an official statement from someone at MCHD to verify or deny this.        We may all disagree on a lot of things on this board, but one thing nobody likes and that is being lied to.

" We informed school officials that we had to receive that
Health Department. "

The fault would have to be placed on the school or the McMinn County Health Department according to this portion of the letter.

The only real answer to all this is for the end of this awful pandemic, the clinical and medical defeat of the disease,  Vaccinations now appear to be showing promise and may be available next year, and hopefully treatment and therapy will see advances as well.  Hopefully the 2021 High School football season will be free of this horror, Again, feel bad for the teams on both sides that did not get to play this game, but the TSSAA had no choice in ruling as they did in view of the deadly consequences of catching this awful virus to some people. 

In yesterday's Athens newspaper there was an article explaining what transpired, according to the Director of McMinn County Schools, Lee Parkison: “Somebody is not telling the truth, and I don’t know what else to tell you, because we put out a statement ourselves with corroboration from the Tennessee Department of Health and McMinn County Schools,” Parkison said. “And we followed our protocols and processes to the letter. And after the contact tracing process, the requested information was turned over to the TSSAA. Because that’s exactly what we’re told. Somebody’s not telling the truth here. But I can promise you we’ve done our part.”