West Tennessee Semifinal: Lexington at Haywood

stacmot

7 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I have been on coacht since 2011. I’m far from new. I haven’t been very active the past couple years. I am a Lexington alumni. I played football here from 2004-2007. Now that we are being civil I will say I expected us to be playing Springfield instead of Hardin Friday. To be honest I’m glad we had to play Hardin instead. I don’t agree that we don’t match up well with Haywood though. I was more worried about Springfield than Haywood. I’m expecting a low scoring game against Haywood. Hopefully we can pull out a win. We would love to see our boys make it to the state championship. To the best of my knowledge that’s never happened here. I’m gonna say Lexington pulls it out 17-14 in a nail biter. Our kicker makes the difference. 

I believe Lexington and Haywood match up well with each other, and I agree that it could come down to the kicking game.  Haywood has an excellent kicker, but the Cats have had some problems with long snapping throughout the season. 

4 hours ago, 1Eugatnom said:

This will be a low scoring game.  Haywood has great size. But I think Lexington's line can handle it. The only game I've watched them play was against Covington. I still like this match up. I think Lexington wins 17-14.

We too have a pretty good kicker as well. Could very well come down to a kick 

I want to give my two cents on this game after seeing both teams live this year. I saw Lexington vs Milan and Haywood vs Dyersburg. Both teams have talent all over the field. Two different styles of play. Lexington is big and physics on the offensive line. They will look to pound the ball just like they have done all season. After seeing Ripley have success running the ball and playing keep away last Friday I think Lexington will try to do the same thing and honestly personnel wise they probably are more equipped to do so than Ripley. They can’t turn the ballLover and give Haywood extra possessions. They are two dangerous. Lexington doesn’t like to pass but they are going to have to work the play action and be effective when the opportunities present themselves to keep Haywood from selling out on the run. Haywood is very balanced on offense. They run or pass very effectively and like to spread the opposing team out causing one on one mismatches for their players. Lexington is gonna have to play sound assignment football on defense and not give up the big plays. Haywood looks a lot like Milan on offense except maybe they throw a tad more. Milan gave Lexington fits earlier in the year and is the only loss on the tiger schedule. If I was a betting man I would put my money on Haywood although I think Lexington can win. Good luck to both Friday night. Two great teams. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I want to give my two cents on this game after seeing both teams live this year. I saw Lexington vs Milan and Haywood vs Dyersburg. Both teams have talent all over the field. Two different styles of play. Lexington is big and physics on the offensive line. They will look to pound the ball just like they have done all season. After seeing Ripley have success running the ball and playing keep away last Friday I think Lexington will try to do the same thing and honestly personnel wise they probably are more equipped to do so than Ripley. They can’t turn the ballLover and give Haywood extra possessions. They are two dangerous. Lexington doesn’t like to pass but they are going to have to work the play action and be effective when the opportunities present themselves to keep Haywood from selling out on the run. Haywood is very balanced on offense. They run or pass very effectively and like to spread the opposing team out causing one on one mismatches for their players. Lexington is gonna have to play sound assignment football on defense and not give up the big plays. Haywood looks a lot like Milan on offense except maybe they throw a tad more. Milan gave Lexington fits earlier in the year and is the only loss on the tiger schedule. If I was a betting man I would put my money on Haywood although I think Lexington can win. Good luck to both Friday night. Two great teams. 

Spot on... 

From what I’ve read in here and seen with Lexington in person, it looks like this will be a run heavy game. Admittedly, Lexington runs the ball well and primarily but to those people saying that all you have to do is stop the run to win. Yep, that’s all you have to do. Same way when Peyton Manning was in his prime, all you had to do was stop the pass.   Scheming is sometimes easier than executing. 
An interesting stat to consider for Lexington’s pass defense: I think Rivers Hunt threw 5 INT this year, 4 of them were by Lexington. 
Lexington has a big experienced OL and a QB. They run a read/option offense that requires discipline to stop. It’s not a traditional option but the second you overcommit the other back will spring the ball. 
I give Lexington the edge in kicking as well. If things stay true to form all kickoffs are touchbacks. That is a huge weapon to force the other team to start at the 20 and not have to risk a return. 

2 minutes ago, OldSkyhawk said:

From what I’ve read in here and seen with Lexington in person, it looks like this will be a run heavy game. Admittedly, Lexington runs the ball well and primarily but to those people saying that all you have to do is stop the run to win. Yep, that’s all you have to do. Same way when Peyton Manning was in his prime, all you had to do was stop the pass.   Scheming is sometimes easier than executing. 
An interesting stat to consider for Lexington’s pass defense: I think Rivers Hunt threw 5 INT this year, 4 of them were by Lexington. 
Lexington has a big experienced OL and a QB. They run a read/option offense that requires discipline to stop. It’s not a traditional option but the second you overcommit the other back will spring the ball. 
I give Lexington the edge in kicking as well. If things stay true to form all kickoffs are touchbacks. That is a huge weapon to force the other team to start at the 20 and not have to risk a return. 

As for the kicking deep, don't expect Lexington to get any returns either. Russell has kicked over 80 percent nonreturnable and when he gets a good snap has good distance. He is also a top notch punter. Depends on the conditions too. It could be wet and that negates everything.

14 minutes ago, OldSkyhawk said:

Sound like both teams will be starting from they own 20 then