Maryville College Coaching Search

On 12/16/2020 at 2:04 PM, HTV said:

Nope. Just like every other private liberal arts college they bring in students with promises of grandeur and graduate them with degrees in a disciplines in which there are no jobs and six figures in student loan debt.  That's how the game is played these days.  

Exactly

On 12/16/2020 at 3:56 PM, Red Rebels said:

Which is why we need this:

PSU-Football.png

Following up on this, it's been baffling to me why Pellissippi State has not started any kind of sports program like the other colleges in the state's community college system have. 

First off, football I can understand.  First from a startup cost standpoint, and then a question of ongoing expense and who would they play?  There are very few football playing jucos in the southeast.  Closest I can think of are Georgia Military and the Mississippi Community Colleges league.  Don't know of any in Kentucky, Virginia, North or South Carolina or Alabama.  Be long road trips to play games.  

But the other sports I don't understand.  Basketball would be able to field a competitive team right away, both on womens and mens sides.  With baseball being as strong as it is in the Knox metro, it wouldn't take long to field a program that could compete with even Walters State.  And while I don't follow girls softball that closely, I do know that Powell and Gibbs have both won state titles recently, so one would think softball would go well, too.  

Never has made much sense to me as to why they don't have any sports at all.  

On 12/19/2020 at 11:50 AM, HTV said:

Following up on this, it's been baffling to me why Pellissippi State has not started any kind of sports program like the other colleges in the state's community college system have. 

First off, football I can understand.  First from a startup cost standpoint, and then a question of ongoing expense and who would they play?  There are very few football playing jucos in the southeast.  Closest I can think of are Georgia Military and the Mississippi Community Colleges league.  Don't know of any in Kentucky, Virginia, North or South Carolina or Alabama.  Be long road trips to play games.  

But the other sports I don't understand.  Basketball would be able to field a competitive team right away, both on womens and mens sides.  With baseball being as strong as it is in the Knox metro, it wouldn't take long to field a program that could compete with even Walters State.  And while I don't follow girls softball that closely, I do know that Powell and Gibbs have both won state titles recently, so one would think softball would go well, too.  

Never has made much sense to me as to why they don't have any sports at all.  

100% - not to mention bowling or fishing!