Arlington v. Dyer County Postgame

GrumpyBulldog

How about the Collierville kids? They were told they were advancing to the state tournament after this ruling by TSSAA. 18 hours later they are told that they will have to play Arlington on Monday, then it was Tuesday, then it was Monday. They lose a tough game and now their season is over.

Granted, they had their state ticket punched as a result of all of this, without winning a sectional game....BUT it wasn't their fault. Now their season is over because of all of this back and forth.

12 minutes ago, 901Hoops850 said:

How about the Collierville kids? They were told they were advancing to the state tournament after this ruling by TSSAA. 18 hours later they are told that they will have to play Arlington on Monday, then it was Tuesday, then it was Monday. They lose a tough game and now their season is over.

Granted, they had their state ticket punched as a result of all of this, without winning a sectional game....BUT it wasn't their fault. Now their season is over because of all of this back and forth.

There are a lot of teams that get he raw end of the deal because of this mess. Any kids from Arlington who weren't involved in what happened, Collierville, Blackman (depending on what happens over the next few days), potentially more teams if this draws out and Arlington is later forced to vacate by the TSSAA. 

It's a crappy situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warmachine7954 said:

The big issue is the kids that had nothing to do with this will be hurt in one way or another. 

That's the real issue. The reason that TSSAA will push hard is control... Their organization, their rules, their absolute power of resolution and penalty. They want to keep total control.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

The big issue is the kids that had nothing to do with this will be hurt in one way or another. 

I am all about law and order, but this was a complete overreach by the TSSAA.  Time for them to get that hand slapped for being so heavy handed.

Edited by TomLHS

7 minutes ago, TomLHS said:

I am all about law and order, but this was a complete overreach by the TSSAA.  Time for them to get that hand slapped for being so heavy handed.

But this has been the tssaa thing for a long time. It’s nothing new. Arlington tried to make themselves look good but then got caught when the facts came out as posted earlier in This thread. I vaguely remember a school in the late 80’s early 90’s That a parent attacked an official after a game. That school couldn’t even host a home game the whole next season 

On 3/5/2021 at 8:45 AM, hmartin8925 said:

This morning is my first time seeing this thread and it’s disheartening to see people try and justify this in any way.  The scene was horrific, they were yelling “kill that motherf*****” and “yeah y’all in memphis now” when they were all standing around jumping on him after coach Shield’s son hit him with his phone and she picked it up and handed it to her players and his friends and told them to make sure he gets that and they get out of there.  Dyer County coach didn’t even see it coming.  It still gives me a sick feeling to think about it.  I hope everyone involved gets what they deserve.

Has the perpetrator been handed over to the authorities?  If in fact what has been said is true and he changed clothes before the attack to try to hide the fact he was from Arlington then that makes it premeditated and a whole different ball game.  While a ball game is at stake what’s being lost here is the assault on a human being by an individual that is related to the head coach. That makes the Arlington program liable. For sure the coach should NOT be allowed at the state tournament. I’m not so sure I’d penalize the girls that won the game on the floor IMO they earned the right to go to the dance however if the coach’s 15 year old son committed this crime there’s no way possible she gets to go, along with the individual/individuals that helped him escape the scene of this crime.  They committed a crime as well. 

Edited by UCSportsFan
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

Has the perpetrator been handed over to the authorities?  If in fact what has been said is true and he changed clothes before the attack to try to hide the fact he was from Arlington then that makes it premeditated and a whole different ball game.  While a ball game is at stake what’s being lost here is the assault on a human being by an individual that is related to the head coach. That makes the Arlington program liable. For sure the coach should NOT be allowed at the state tournament. I’m not so sure I’d penalize the girls that won the game on the floor IMO they earned the right to go to the dance however if the coach’s 15 year old son committed this crime there’s no way possible she gets to go, along with the individual/individuals that helped him escape the scene of this crime.  They committed a crime as well. 

Take care of anyone involved with this crime, but don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.  The TSSAA needs to refrain from being so heavy handed.  These girls did not attack anyone.

1 minute ago, TomLHS said:

Take care of anyone involved with this crime, but don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.  The TSSAA needs to refrain from being so heavy handed.  These girls did not attack anyone.

Fighting is not permitted period end of story. As a parent of an athlete we are told that at all times we are to never fight and it will cost our kid’s team. The coach and her team should 100% be held responsible for this assault. This was a premeditated attack and the players helped in it. There are No excuses for what happened.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Khall555 said:

Fighting is not permitted period end of story. As a parent of an athlete we are told that at all times we are to never fight and it will cost our kid’s team. The coach and her team should 100% be held responsible for this assault. This was a premeditated attack and the players helped in it. There are No excuses for what happened.

If the players participated then that’s totally different. If that happened then no question they should be suspended.